What's new

Brewers: Do you malt your own grain?

evernoob

Reactionary
Member Number
I went down a rabbit hole and turns out that if you brew beer or spirits, you use malted grain. This is an involve process so it's unlikely that you do your own, which means all home brewers are depending on someone else for perhaps the most important step in the whole process. For example, single-malt scotch is less about barrel-aging than bourbon (scotch re-sues bourbon barrels multiple times. In Scotland. They import old Jack Daniels barrels and stuff), and more dependent on the malting process, which is each distillery's signature process.

So.... you guys are all making beer that tastes the same? Who does the malting? One big company?

I was at the point of switching from malted extracts to fresh grains when I stopped brewing after hurricane Irene. Just told my Mrs. I want to get back into brewing when we buy a home next year.

I was at the point of switching from malted extracts to fresh grains when I stopped brewing after hurricane Irene. Just told my Mrs. I want to get back into brewing when we buy a home next year.

Do you have a local source for those grains? Just big bags you order on the internet?

No I have a local homebrew store about 20 minutes away with everything I could ever need. And if the dont have it they order it and have it in a few days.

Top Back Refresh