What's new

Breadbags for socks, yea or nay?

Breadbags for socks, yea or nay?

• Total voters

evernoob

Reactionary
Member Number
Are you old enough to have been given breadbags as socks in the winter, and did you use them?

Also, environmental post. You're not throwing out your breadbags are you? They are one of the highest-quality plastic bags a consumer can get. There's a million uses for those things in and out of the kitchen.

Last edited:
Yep

Lived in New Mexico when I was a kid.

Parent's were broke as fawk.

Dad was cleaning horse stalls at the track. I recall him making like .50 a stall.

Mom was cleaning hotel rooms.

We didn't even have a running car.

We walked everywhere.:laughing:

Last edited:
Yup, add me to the list. The bags kept your feet warm and dry, and helped them slide into your boots easier.

Yup, add me to the list. The bags kept your feet warm and dry, and helped them slide into your boots easier.

I feel this is one of those forgotten aspects of breadbag socks. When you have several layers of socks and long johns on, they make it easier to put on your moonboots. In fact our Kindergarten teacher had us bring breadbags to help the little kids get their shit on and off. About half our kids were unfamiliar with all the winter clothing necessary, the other half of us were pretty tough slum kids who could whip a snowsuit or snowpants and moonboots on and off in seconds. You wouldn't catch me dawdling in the hallways screwing around with accessories, you come out the door late that's that many more snowballs headed your way. You need to be first.

They kept your feet dry until they started to sweat. Then they got cold. We were poor. We didn’t have snow boots. One pair of shoes a year. Went barefoot in the summer a lot. I thought every kid wore bread bags for winter when I was a kid.:grinpimp:

They kept your feet dry until they started to sweat. Then they got cold. We were poor. We didn’t have snow boots. One pair of shoes a year. Went barefoot in the summer a lot. I thought every kid wore bread bags for winter when I was a kid.:grinpimp:

They do sweat your feet up but that was at a time of cotton longjohns :laughing: Instead of being concerned your kid was going to get frostbite and hypothermia, you just yelled at them to put their cold, dripping, wet socks and longjohns back on and walk it off. Rub some dirt in it.

Breadbags last about one good sledding session as well. We DID get snow boots, from Kmart and they usually lasted about 1 year. However my family was huge into hunting, fishing, and camping (these are cheap activities once the guns and rods are bought/handed down), so we got decent outdoor clothes. As in moonboots. Which rip almost immediately and weigh a good, ohh, 23lbs after one good session breaking up ice dams and making glacier rivers out in the street.

Nope parents bought us kids snow boots for winter. We also got snow suits and gloves and hats.

Yep. We make all or own bread now and can afford good boots so no more bread bags but when I was a kid they were awesome. Also used Sno-Seal on everything. My feet were usually wet and cold anyways

Wore the bread bags over the socks. Never really remember having good winter boots. Hence the reason for the bags.

bags never worked, well maybe for 5 mins. I remember using them once and complaining cause my feet were cold. Dad didn't believe me but after about 10 minutes of whining, he told me to pull my socks off. They were drenched with sweat and the outside was ice. So yeah bags didn't do crap. If it was warm and slushy or just wet out (like fly fishing) the worked inside of shoes.

I do remember working a crap load in middle school to be able to buy a pair of goretex boots as soon as I found out what they were. $80 dollars from Cabela's and my parents thought I was crazy.

bags never worked, well maybe for 5 mins. I remember using them once and complaining cause my feet were cold. Dad didn't believe me but after about 10 minutes of whining, he told me to pull my socks off. They were drenched with sweat and the outside was ice. So yeah bags didn't do crap. If it was warm and slushy or just wet out (like fly fishing) the worked inside of shoes.

I do remember working a crap load in middle school to be able to buy a pair of goretex boots as soon as I found out what they were. $80 dollars from Cabela's and my parents thought I was crazy.

My parents would have been mad. Had a paper route before then and did odd jobs, but started my first wage-paying job at 14 and bought my first pair of actual Levi 501 jeans. My mom was insulted that Kmart jeans weren't good enough. That's when you know you're marginally poor, when your parents are insulted and angry by your up-market fashion choices.

My dad got a pair of Mickey Mouse boots from surplus and sealed up the hole with silicone. He got them for a song though and it was the late 70s when the upper midwest had a series of vicious winters. The Ice Storm of '78. '77? Our extended family and friends circle probably owned 1/2 the 4x4s in Grand Rapids and my dad plowed out the entire street. Like a 4' high ice and slush mountain at the entrance to Ball Avenue.

I remember Mr. VanDyke from across the street coming over and thanking my dad and admiring his snowplow. Cinnamon-colored 1976 F-150 Custom with mud tires on it. Armstrong radials. Howlin' loud boy, hear him coming for a literal mile back in the woods, 1 mile off the blacktop up in the Voss Swamp. Twin Creeks Inn just west of Luther, still there I believe.

About when did you buy those boots?

Did it, not sure which was worse the cold outside or the freezing sweat. Last time was on my first construction job in Meeker Co, I had a brand new pair of leather steel toe leather work boots, nobody had said anything about snow or that I would be spending a lot of my time out in it, everything else of me was warm but my feet, man I was glad for christmas break so I could go back to Denver and buy a pair of steel toed pack boots

I've used grocery bags over my socks in my boots while on the motorcycle during wet weather. :confused:

Sounds like the Weez had the same basic experience as me...

Yes, I remember doing bread bag boot liners when I was a kid.

I have not bought a loaf of bread for many years.

You kids and your fancy goretex. :laughing:

It did not exist in in the bread bag era. "Waterproof" was vinyl impregnated cloth which as it flexed overtime cracked at the stress spots. Boots made of the stuff didn't stay waterproof long. Made for crappy mittens too. The bags helped.

Back then boys were still boys and we hurdled ourselves to our doom on 50# steel and wood framed sleds. The had to drag the heavy bastards BACK up the hill. It build character.

Thats why I asked when he bought them.

I didn't buy my first gore tech stuff until I was in my mid to late 20's.

Hell

I went and looked it up after I saw what he wrote.

Yep

Lived in New Mexico when I was a kid.

Parent's were broke as fawk.

This but we didn't really eat bread from the store as kids so we didn't have bread bags to use. Our bread was Mexican flat bread that abuela made at her house next to us. To this day my wife laughs at me when I make a PBJ on a tortilla:flipoff2:

This but we didn't really eat bread from the store as kids so we didn't have bread bags to use Our bread was Mexican flat bread that abuela made at her house next to us. To this day my wife laughs at me when I make a PBJ on a tortilla:flipoff2:

There were probably some bread bags.

But likely more produce bags.

I seem to recall plastic grocery bags about that time as well.

The one thing to put it into perspective is that I remember it was the year that "We are the world" hit the radio.

Everywhere there was a radio going that song was on it:laughing:

Yes, because our boots didn't dry fast enough next to the wood stove.
​​​​

Turns out I was pretty spot on in my statement above.

Safeway started using plastic bags in 82 and that song came out in 85

I was born in 73 and lived un NM for about 5 years.

I think we left there about a year later or so.

Didn't need bagged feet once we got to Ca:laughing:

I don't remember using the produce bags either and they were pretty flimsy too. We did have a pair of tapped up Korean War era overboots that we'd use/share.
We had a land line, and were the only ones in our family compound area that did, so it was common for relatives to come over to make a call. We were rolling phat...comparatively anyway.

Top Back Refresh