What's new

BOOT Thread Spin off Motorcycle edition

grumpy356

bordering on illiterate
Member Number
I always ride in whatever shoe I happen to be wearing (generally a classic slip on Van). But I've always wanted a more protective shoe.

Here are the requirements:

1. NOT HOT. I live in Texas and it is hot and humid a lot, and won't wear a shoe that gives me swampy feet.

2. Easy to take on and off. I don't want crazy lacing. I had some doc martin in highs school that I had to get up extra early just to lace. They were cool, but I don't want to do that again.

3. I can wear as a regular shoe and they don't look like a specialized, funky. attention whore-ish, motorcycle shoe.

What's out there that is good?

flippy floppies :flipoff2:

I was driving my shit box home last night and i was doing about 80, which is fast in my beater, and something comes flying out from under the car in front of me and it was a big ass piece of metal. I had no where to go and I hit it. It fucked up my front bumper. All I could think of was, "what if I was on my bike?"

flip flops offer no toe protection ya damn rookies

everyone is riding in crocs now.....:flipoff2:

I was driving my shit box home last night and i was doing about 80, which is fast in my beater, and something comes flying out from under the car in front of me and it was a big ass piece of metal. I had no where to go and I hit it. It fucked up my front bumper. All I could think of was, "what if I was on my bike?"

swerve and hope for a lowside?

and don't follow so close, and don't ride in the middle of the lane :flipoff2:

I dunno, I got basically caved and quit riding when my work told me i couldn't ride to work if it didn't wear "all the gear all the time". i'm a fan of whatever you're wearing halfway decent leather shoes, but i'm not good enough to carry extra boots and such

I always ride in whatever shoe I happen to be wearing (generally a classic slip on Van). But I've always wanted a more protective shoe.

Here are the requirements:

1. NOT HOT. I live in Texas and it is hot and humid a lot, and won't wear a shoe that gives me swampy feet.

2. Easy to take on and off. I don't want crazy lacing. I had some doc martin in highs school that I had to get up extra early just to lace. They were cool, but I don't want to do that again.

3. I can wear as a regular shoe and they don't look like a specialized, funky. attention whore-ish, motorcycle shoe.

What's out there that is good?

i've been wearing these for a year or so now.

https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en..._20370M_color=E08813#cgid=powersports&start=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/Bates-Mens-B...t=&hvlocphy=9032311&hvtargid=pla-571632555113

both feel pretty nice and don't overtly look like MC boots

I dunno, I got basically caved and quit riding when my work told me i couldn't ride to work if it didn't wear "all the gear all the time". i'm a fan of whatever you're wearing halfway decent leather shoes, but i'm not good enough to carry extra boots and such

This was Houston Freeway at 5:30 Rush Hour. and the metal was pretty long , but it was coming so fast I didn't have time to measure. But from what I looked like a 6' piece of flat iron that was bent up. When I saw it, I thought of a mangled Lawn mower blade, but longer. it destroyed the right corner of the car bumper.

This was Houston Freeway at 5:30 Rush Hour. and the metal was pretty long , but it was coming so fast I didn't have time to measure. But from what I looked like a 6' piece of flat iron that was bent up. When I saw it, I thought of a mangled Lawn mower blade, but longer. it destroyed the right corner of the car bumper.

brutal. i guess if you were on your bike, you wouldn't have been thinking about your toes! :eek:

I rock my logger boots, but if I had to do a dedicated boot it'd probably Forma Adventures.

Cheap Black Tacticool boots with Zip sides and laces are pretty good riding boots. These are 35 bucks at Big 5. 29 when I got some a few years back and theyve held up great. I never tighten the laces. Wearing them right now.
5385_10497_0005_018_thumb_02.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	5385_10497_0005_018_thumb_02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.3 KB ID:	178109

20201030_113721.jpg

Last edited:
Somewhat douchetastic/ bro racer, but when im on the road i still just rock my Crossfires. https://sidi.com/en/products/motorcy...rossfire-3-srs

They are comfy, easy to shift in, and at the end of the day you wont find a more protective boot. I mean i have taken 2" branches to the shin at 45 mph on the trail in them and it blasted my foot off the peg but didnt even bruise me. All the gear, all the time :flipoff2:

My day job is in risk so I am no fun, but i strongly believe that you should do what you want as long as it doesnt impact others. If a thong, white Oakley's and flip flops is your style, go for it. I wont have any sympathy for the results of your choices when you to take a slide though:usa:

Last edited:
I have the older version of these got them on clearance probably 5 years ago.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-smx-6-v2-vented-boots

They are great for what they are have support where you need and armor/bracing so you hopefully don't break a ankle, also have sliders if you don't have chicken strips. Once they break in they are really comfortable, I've hiked probably 1-2 miles in them at a time. The bottom tread is not great for mud but for gravel or dirt it does fine. My thought on protective gear is it only has to save your bacon once to completely pay for it self. That may be helmet/boots/leathers/ect. As someone who has dealt with very small bits of roadrash nothing is worse than trying to grow new skin on the 'stretchy' parts. If you buy decent gear that is last years style you usually get good quality/breathability at affordable prices.

Hang on!

Do they also demand that cyclists wear "all the gear, all the time"?
Are car drivers checked to make sure they haven't sent any texts since leaving home? Worn their seatbelts all the way? Never exceeded the speed limit?

This seems like a MASSIVE over reach of authority by your employer.

Hang on!

Are car drivers checked to make sure they haven't sent any texts since leaving home? Worn their seatbelts all the way? Never exceeded the speed limit?

You mean like the military? :flipoff2:

All gear, all time rider here.

This one I have, wasn't my first choice but what they had in stock. I'd considered what Pocahantas has but they weren't in stock.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sedici-ultimo-boots

Protection for shin and ankle is there which what I needed without the height that Clemson13's Crossfire has.

It's warm when 100*+ out (AZ summer) I use specific tall cool sock so it doesn't warm up fast and enough to get out of city for touring. Likely it will be too hot for staying in the 100* daily.

Same size as feet, it's a bit tight but turns out better as break in, comfortable walking around, I'd much prefer one size up on this one

It's bit a work of zipping it up, so probably just a half minute each boot.

I would've went for Sedici Niccolo as it felt bit comfortable but they don't have my size or one size up without 2 week ordering.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/sedici-niccolo-boots

I have worn walking around local town(probably not more than a mile or two total) No issue

I bring pair of shoe and sock to wear for the day and ready to go back in the boot for riding. I would recommend that, but I have tank bag, backpack I wear though.

Someone suggested Forma Adventure, they have low boot, that would work for you in comfort and ease of putting it on, though can't comment about the feet temp.

I would've went for Sedici Niccolo as it felt bit comfortable but they don't have my size or one size up without 2 week ordering.

^^I went to go try and snag a pair of those today and sold out everywhere.

I've just about run through my TCX Blaze's after 20k miles on them. I think they fit OP's requirements. Comfy, decent protection, made well, reasonable price, not power-rangerish.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-blaze-boots

Replaced with a set of TCX SP Master's an Amazon seller had mismarked by $100, we'll see if I get them/get screwed/etc... Looking for a little more protection since I'm putting down some miles and after my close call with an inner wheel well liner on the interstate that impacted my lower shin.

^^I went to go try and snag a pair of those today and sold out everywhere.

I've just about run through my TCX Blaze's after 20k miles on them. I think they fit OP's requirements. Comfy, decent protection, made well, reasonable price, not power-rangerish.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-blaze-boots

Replaced with a set of TCX SP Master's an Amazon seller had mismarked by $100, we'll see if I get them/get screwed/etc... Looking for a little more protection since I'm putting down some miles and after my close call with an inner wheel well liner on the interstate that impacted my lower shin.

Link to that amazon? I'd buy these from $100 too lol

Cycle Gear shop has the Niccolo size 12 available, I could snag and we meet up if you want to try them. I'd be able return them as they got 30 days for that.

I ride 90% trails, so Carhart logging boots or old Dr. Martin combat boot. I can ride and hike/hike in both. Revzilla or Fortnine have a good selection.

Link to that amazon? I'd buy these from $100 too lol

Cycle Gear shop has the Niccolo size 12 available, I could snag and we meet up if you want to try them. I'd be able return them as they got 30 days for that.

Appreciate the offer :beer: but those are at least 2 sizes too big. The Amazon seller corrected the listing seconds after I submitted the order, and they were $158, seller corrected to $258 (going market rate for that size/color combo), so $100 delta. Hope they don't send me some used, blem'd, or open box stuff.

Hang on!

It is a massive over reach, largely enforced through the insurance side of the house.

I know somebody who was ran over by a car (car fully at fault, hit and run, tire marks on the helmet, whole 9) while on a motorcycle. It was not HIS motorcycle, but a friends that he was driving back from a repair shop. short single trip, experienced rider, he was driving it because he was more experienced than the owner just for the first post-shop trip.

Because it wasn't his bike, insurance denied.

IMO, you can’t really walk around in anything that offers serious protection. I typically wear rubber soled cowboy boots on the street, as they will still protect you from road rash. I’ve had several spills and the knees usually get the worst of it. Leather soled boots can get sketchy at off camber stop lights.

In the dirt, I started with the budget route of something I could walk around in, they were $150 ish “trail” boots that looked like MX boots. Ended up with a plate in my ankle and bought a pair of Sidi Crossfire’s after that.

For what it's worth, I slid for I don't know how long at 65mph in my Chippewa loggers. They did a good job at saving me.

Cheapest least flashy tractor supply cowboy boots I could find. I think they were around $80 ten years ago and are wearing like iron. They're my going out boots as well so once a year they get brushed down and conditioned so that probably helps keep them going

Top Back Refresh