What's new

Book Hours for a job. Need to help a friend.

They quoted her hours that it would not take. Thats dishonest.
eh, that's just how it works in the auto repair business, you throw out a price that isn't really grounded in any sort of reality and if they decide it's worth it you go ahead

kind of funny talking to service writers when they act like you just kicked their dog and then pissed on it whenever you suggest something like "just make up the difference in the labor estimate" as though they aren't doing that already when you come in after a job that they quoted 5 hours on that you did in 45 minutes.

So shes not on insta? yeah right. What about tiktok???? lol:flipoff2:

Here's what a OM612 looks like with the cooling package and water pump removed. Whoever designed that cooling package should be taken out back and shot. It would have taken nearly no additional effort to make it all come out as one package instead of requiring individual components be removed.

I would have taken pictures of the owner but she expressed disdain for the kind of women who thot around on Instagram/Onlyfans in order to finance their van dwelling lifestyle and I didn't give enough fucks to push the issue. We skipped the thermostat since it can easily be accessed from the top at a later date.

Actually, that's an OM647 engine. Very similar, but the 612 uses a vacuum actuated turbo, an intake that makes servicing the glow plugs next to impossible, and a suction fuel system, with the LPFP mechanically-driven and mounted to the undrilled bosses above the HPFP.

Sounds like you have a new unstable friend.:laughing:

Oh, yeah... the entire cooling stack is simple for this. Undo the radiator hoses and intercooler piping, and swing the entire assembly off to the driver's side, placing it on a chair or something. Saves the hassle of dicking with all the other components, and allows for the A/C lines and P/S systems to remain sealed. If those hoses are removed, it comes out as a package. :flipoff2:

And since you all want pics, here's the arse_sidewards

Click image for larger version Name:	received_1088621208284123.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	222.3 KB ID:	288072

blah, blah , blah....... We skipped the thermostat since it can easily be accessed from the top at a later date.

You went through all that and put in the old thermostat?

The cheapest part, and you skipped it???

Reactions: DMG
You went through all that and put in the old thermostat?

The cheapest part, and you skipped it???

I never took it off and it's integrated with the housing making the belt and idlers both cheaper
2/10. Troll better next time. :flipoff2:

It's nowhere near the water pump and we never had to go near it to do everything else. It will get changed in the near-ish future.

I was thinking about this thread last week.

A woman showed up at my shop and asked for an estimate to put a timing chain on a 2006 F150. She just wanted labor to replace the chain only. Couldn’t tell me which motor it had or how many miles. Just that it quit running.

The best part, she already had a timing chain that her son had bought on Amazon. I politely explained that her truck probably needs a lot more than a timing chin and that I did not want any part of it, ever.

I pity the shop that goes for this job.

[486 said:
;n288368]

your garage isn't packed with garbage to the point that you gotta work on shit nosed into the door?

Nope. In that regard I am pretty spoiled. 60x60 shop at home with a 2-post, 30x40 attached garage on the house(3-hole parking) and I have a commercial shop with two lifts and 3 bays. If I can't work on something inside I really need to re-evaluate my situation! :lmao:

Looks like an aged-out festival wook that someone told about the cool kids with their sprinter vans. An econoline would save her a lot of trouble.

I hope you made more than $200 for 8hrs of work and snow fuckery. Good on you for helping her out though.

What's the appeal of sprinter vans over an econoline/express? Seems like you get more living space in a cheaper chassis than in the benz stuff.

Cool to help out.

i love me some titties, even big ol taters...but those are some wore out hippie titties. Did you drop acid with her?:usa:

I hope you made more than $200 for 8hrs of work and snow fuckery. Good on you for helping her out though.

What's the appeal of sprinter vans over an econoline/express? Seems like you get more living space in a cheaper chassis than in the benz stuff.

There is no comparison on interior space between the two. It's literally 14 feet from the back doors to the front seat pedestals, and they are about 6'6" interior height.

In addition, I would be lucky to get 16 mpg out of a tank in an E150, but with a few simple mods, a Sprinter can break 30 mpg.

gotta go with the cutaway box van to get standing room in an e-series
or one of those fiberglass "chop the roof off" dealieos

ETA: maybe you're way short

[486 said:
;n288368]

your garage isn't packed with garbage to the point that you gotta work on shit nosed into the door?

I put am RV awning from an RV I scrapped above one garage door so I at least stay mostly dry when I can't nose in enough.:laughing:

arse_sidewards I didn't want to be the one to point this out and it's probably too late now but... you missed a belt loop

:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Saying its going to take time that it won't is misleading and a lie.

being dishonest is synonymous with misleading and lying :homer:

most shops ive come into contact with estimate it as a total bill. Then discount it to the customer at payment. Usually not the full difference. but it is what is. The customer feels like they win, the shop makes an extra profit and the mechanic still gets fucked..win win loss:lmao:

So dealership wasn't lying for once. The pass window wasn't working and the dealer said the track came off the bottom, can't be repaired, gotta get new glass, only 2 in the continental US, $500, etc. etc. I and others figured the little plastic piece of shit between the regulator arm and the track which routinely breaks was the cause.

Well she had someone open it up and the dealer wasn't lying. The dealer also removed the track because it wasn't in the bottom of the door.

Anyone know if there's a vehicle out there (preferable one 15-25yo that will be plentiful in junkyards) that uses a track pressed/glued on the bottom of the window?

2021-02-05.jpg

volvos did
might be similar manufacture (hella, iirc makes a shitload of those sorts of deals)

[486 said:
;n299261]volvos did
might be similar manufacture (hella, iirc makes a shitload of those sorts of deals)

Can I get like an example model and year?

Top Back Refresh