What's new

Body Lift Pucks etc Fabrication

Splib

Rusty Spoons
Member Number
Loc
Marsh
I havent attempted build, weld, cut, fabricate or even install aftermarket anything in more than a decade and I had aftermarket parts available and friends to help out. Fast forward to a 2002 Explorer XLT 4wd and the desire to get just a little more clearance for larger (har Har) 265/75/16 rubber on stock wheels. IIRC former my Isuzu days body lift pucks or discs were easily made from plastic, nylon or teflon solid bar cut like a bread roll at the desired thickness and drilled for a longer bolt. It is that easy :lmao: Not attempting an epic Ford build, just like to go with bigger more aggressive tires this winter when I tire change and maybe get a little clearance overall but especially for the rubber.

Where do I start this project to get a 2-inch body lift ? source for the actual part, what material anything. The vehicle is far away in a field right now so I cant take a good look underneath - thanks

Sub'd:flipoff2:
200.gif

Thanks BDK. :laughing: I am a member on that forum since 2017 and I read as much of that thread as I could before I had to gag and almost puke. It is the reason that led me back home here where tech never fails. :flipoff2: I know with absolute certainty there had to be a page full of links to DIY Body lifts back at the unspeakable place. I figured that in good time someone will drop in here, throw some insults and some bacon, and provide the enlightenment. I can hope. The rig is 800 miles and 13 hrs away, but I may go to one of the local wrecking yards or pick and choke if I get too bored waiting. There is probably info on this included in a build thread, so I can mouse click that for a few hours. :beer:

The proper IBB response is "sawzall"

Body lifts are :rainbow:
Since you are obviously the self proclaimed fabricator wheeler, and King of Comedy, cant you throw in $0.02 instead of being a :rainbow::rainbow::rainbow: ?. :flipoff2:

No, As stated in the OP this is not a build. It's fitting a 3-inch taller tire to a stock 4-wheel IRS 4x4.

Since you are obviously the self proclaimed fabricator wheeler, and King of Comedy, cant you throw in $0.02 instead of being a :rainbow::rainbow::rainbow: ?. :flipoff2:

No, As stated in the OP this is not a build. It's fitting a 3-inch taller tire to a stock 4-wheel IRS 4x4.

1 fucking second on Google found a bunch of different options for something like this

A 1" body lift is somewhat allowable since it can make tucking different drivetrain, exhaust, etc easier, anything more than that is pretty gay. Not to mention it's not always as easy as just ghetto facing some pucks, there's bumpers to lift, steering, brakes, shifters, ect.

Oh and :flipoff2:

I bought a stick of 3" diameter uhmw polyurethane and cut it into 2 inch lengths

Last edited:
Thanks Yota. :flipoff2:Those are a suspension lift, kinda. They alter for the bad the geometry of the front driveshaft and the hub, and are considered an easy fail with even moderate use. Not recommended without other modifications. (from the FordExplorer forum)

Thanks DMG- found these quickly. :flipoff2: UHMW Polyethylene Round Rod | U.S. Plastic Corp.

1.000" Diameter UHMW Natural Rod at ePlastics

I need to see what the stock piece is, then go 1, 1 1/2 - inch over that in replacement. I can throw an inch on easily and probably avoid fawking with bumper, brake lines etc. Not much lift but its something. After scratching the mind a little I'll also more of what I need by replacing the original shocks and springs with 220,000 miles on them.

Reactions: DMG
These x however many body mounts you got

Or, just trim and hammer, it's less work than installing a body lift. I've put 35's on stock height mini trucks, 31s on an exploder should be easy.

The biggest issue with doing any body lift is radiator fan, steering shaft, gas filler neck and bumpers.

If the rad has factory e-fans that are attached directly to the rad you can easily do a 1” body lift without any other issue.

I’ve done plenty of 3” BL on brodozers and they are an absolute nightmare on even newer trucks. There is so much shit that has to be disconnected and moved. Ground straps, steering shaft extensions. God. It’s been probably 5 years since I’ve done one. Had a guy call about wanting one the other day. Told him I don’t sell or install them.

I’m in the camp of hammer and trim as needed. Which shouldn’t be much.

The biggest issue with doing any body lift is radiator fan, steering shaft, gas filler neck and bumpers.

If the rad has factory e-fans that are attached directly to the rad you can easily do a 1” body lift without any other issue.

I’ve done plenty of 3” BL on brodozers and they are an absolute nightmare on even newer trucks. There is so much shit that has to be disconnected and moved. Ground straps, steering shaft extensions. God. It’s been probably 5 years since I’ve done one. Had a guy call about wanting one the other day. Told him I don’t sell or install them.

I’m in the camp of hammer and trim as needed. Which shouldn’t be much.
How about a mere 1" BL?

I figured trimming the bottom of the engine fan shroud would take care of that issue. 🤷‍♂️

2x4 stacked 2 high gives a 3" BL, stick with PT if you like he vehicle :flipoff2:

2x4 stacked 2 high gives a 3" BL, stick with PT if you like he vehicle :flipoff2:

Fawkin rednecks :lmao::lmao::lmao:

:flipoff2:

I fear I may return to my POS Ford after 3 months of parked in a field to find the mice nest and wire chewed. :eek:

Fawkin rednecks :lmao::lmao::lmao:

:flipoff2:

I fear I may return to my POS Ford after 3 months of parked in a field to find the mice nest and wire chewed. :eek:
Did this to the bed on my first Ranger, only had enough free body lift blocks for the cab :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh