What's new

Bobcat 853

Member Number
Loc
Abitibi
It's not a build, so I didn't put it in the "other builds" forum. Seems to me it fits in shop and tools.

Buddy bought a 583 from another buddy. I get to spruce it up.

Purpose of this thread is for me to get spoonfed all the things I need to know to impress my friends. :flipoff2:

Decent shape, nice tires, some pin slop. Super filthy inside as expected. It got a Ritchie Bros rebuild, so the paint and decals look nice.

Known issues---engine oil leak. Might just be the drain hose. Need to clean it to further diagnose.
Wiring mess (need to remove all the farmer marrettes).
Tilt cylinder pin retainer missing.
Foot pedals are very sloppy.
Bucket needs new lip and some love and hopefully a grapple.
Brakes.

So far I've flipped up the cab and made some supports (3/4 square tubing) to fit where the cab lift struts should be. I've also shovelled out 100ish lbs of oil soaked dirt.

I'm dumb and didn't get a nice "before" pic.

BOBCAT 583
S/N 512816615

PB151438.JPG

Last edited:
Foot pedal pivots were totally worn out. Because the pedals only move the pushrods a very small amount, the pivot slop was exaggerated.

Pulled them out, and cut/beat out the old pins. The pedals were not worn at all since the pin was fixed to the pedal. 1/2 inch bolts slid right in.

PB171463.JPG
PB171464.JPG
PB171465.JPG

The mount (and original pins) had all the wear.

Clamped onto a copper buss bar and welded the holes closed. It's amazing how the copper bar takes no damage at all from getting welded on.

PB171468.JPG

PB171469.JPG

I haven't fingered out how to make the auxiliary hydraulics work. My New Holland has a handgrip that can be moved sideways to actuate the aux hydraulics but this thing doesn't have that.

It's got a rocker switch and a trigger button on one lever, so I'm guessing either the rocker actuates the aux (which wouldn't be analog control) or the trigger button changes the function of one of the foot pedals (which seems unlikely to me).

Those are good machines. Very little to them to break

So far the plan is:

Check oil in chainbox
Fill fan gearbox (seems empty)
Fix tilt cylinder pin
Change all fluids
Replace bucket lip
Add inline fuel filter and primer bulb
All filters, including the tank screen
Build a remote start harness so I can synchronize the wheel speeds
New air filter to intake hose
New t-stat and water pump
New engine oil drain hose
New fuel line
New fan belt and alternator belt (pump belt looks good so it's gonna stay)
New battery
Fix all the cobbled wiring
Better lights
Fix some pin slop maybe
Get brakes working

Anything I'm missing?

Bars to hold cab up.

After handbombing this cab into this position I have a hard time believing that gas cylinders would be strong enough. I also prefer working under something that cannot fall.

PB171491.JPG

Would have been nice to wash before bringing it in.

Been shovelling out shit for three days now.

I'm sure these things must get water into the engine through the exhaust, points near straight up. Probably gonna build one of those exhaust flappers.

PB151444.JPG
PB171483.JPG
PB171485.JPG

When I dropped the drive motor covers it was filled with dirt and gravel. Not sure if that is corrected with the newer models

Awesome! Glad to see I'm not the only one with an affinity for the older Bobcat machines. I've got an '01 T190 with 4600 hrs on it and a '94 model X331 Mini with unknown hours on it; strong fresh engine but everything else is worn TFO.

The cab lift struts on them should be a mechanical slide tube, with the gas strut on the outside and a latch that engages. The struts just help lift and don't actually hold, at least not on my T190, which is a few years newer than this little machine here.

The several hundred lbs of crap in the belly seems to be the norm. I keep my machines pretty clean as they are just "around the house toys" and they still somehow get packed full of crap.

Will be following this thread along as it motivates me to rebuild the foot pedals in my T190 and I'll be doing the pins, hoses, and cylinders on the 331 this winter too.

So far the plan is:

Check oil in chainbox
Fill fan gearbox (seems empty)
Fix tilt cylinder pin
Change all fluids
Replace bucket lip
Add inline fuel filter and primer bulb
All filters, including the tank screen
Build a remote start harness so I can synchronize the wheel speeds
New air filter to intake hose
New t-stat and water pump
New engine oil drain hose
New fuel line
New fan belt and alternator belt (pump belt looks good so it's gonna stay)
New battery
Fix all the cobbled wiring
Better lights
Fix some pin slop maybe
Get brakes working

Anything I'm missing?

in take pickup tubes break a LOT on these things... buy a handful.

deutz motor?
they got a timing belt

quick glance around at pics, that guy might be the isuzu one

since you're going this far, find a local hose company to make you copies of everything under the cab. Replacing some of those hoses sucks if you're over 3'2" tall or have hands larger than an infant.

Check the vents on the fuel and hydro fluid tank. The filter tends to disintigrate. I'd also pickup a couple of extra relays, just to have. I had an issue with one of mine that took me a few weeks to track down. Also a good time to check the seals on the hydraulic valve thingy that's below the passenger side drive stick. Rebuild is pretty simple (45 minutes for a novice).

and open an account on allskidsteers (dot) com... they are pretty affordable/quick

I have a little experience on a similar year machine, just smaller. The aux hydraulics are on the right stick, move it left or right to make things work. Takes more effort than you'd think.

Yes, that exhaust will drink as much rain water as it can. The muffler will rot out first and then the flex (?) tube going to the manifold. It's not fun drilling out the manifold/flex tube bolts so catch it before it's a problem

I was wondering about the title. Since you mentioned it I can barely make out that the numbers on the side are an 853. That makes more sense.

Will be following. Have to find time to overhaul my 630 one of these days.
Shit, you're right, I'm dyslexic. It's 853, not 583.

Fixed the title.

I just knew that the 5xx series typically looks like my 630 - and the S5xx is the newer long frame. They keep screwing with the numbering systems, so I wasn't sure.

To me, the best system was the T/S180, 190, 200, etc where the number was the rated operating capacity.

and open an account on allskidsteers (dot) com... they are pretty affordable/quick
Here Craig Taylor (dealer) is more often cheaper, especially if it's on hand or comes on the weekly stock order.

my t300 has a catch on the right side cab shock that latches and holds it up to work.

Got a bunch of parts in, but I'm back to work tomorrow so progress will have to wait until next weekend.

I've got to order a bucket lip. When I relipped the bucket on my new holland I used a worn out grader blade. Migged it and the welds cracked so I stainless sticked it on one side and peened and it held, then the stainless cracked when I welded the other side so I used 7018 and peened and it's been on there for 3 years.

This time I will be ordering steel.

What kind of steel do I order?

Top Back Refresh