What's new

Blower motor Chevy 454 to single carb oval port heads & manifold, cam changes ¿?

PAE

🚨 King of the Who ?🚨
Member Number
Loc
🚨
Trying to figure what major changes beyond the cam and lifters and heads manifold or keep the square port heads and use the orginal LS6 intake manifold ¿?

This is eventually going into a 6K lb M1031A1 / M1028A2 CUCV.

It will either have a SM 465 into a early figure 8 CUCV NP205 transfer case or NV 4500 into a 6 bolt round NP 205.

Then into the stock 14 bolt 4:56 locker or the Dana 70 I found with 4:10 no locker.

Really depends what your looking to get out of it and how much csah you want to put in it, as in do you want it to be a play toy with some power on tap or just a general use truck that gets decent MPG. Stock rec port heads work fine for truck you just won't be getting any benefit from them either unless your up in RPM range vs oval or even peanut port heads. Aftermarket stuff is the way to go performance wise but if your just looking for tq and mpg even the peanut ports are fine.

Reactions: PAE
Thinking of what cam to run, its a MKIV BBC engine with a hydraulic roller cam.

Has a comp cams flat tappet blower grind now.

Would most likely need to swap out the head gaskets at least as there are O rings and copper head gaskets.

Last edited:
If the head gaskets are still good I wouldn't bother. Cam is always a tough decision unless you trust just calling your favorite cam brand and telling them what you have for vehicle and let them suggest the magic bump stick. Tire height would play in to what gears and such but really a stock big block will pull around anything under 40" pretty easy on 4.56 and the deep 1st both transmission choices have. If planning on shorter tire than a 35 I wouldn't even consider the 4spd and 4.56 combo unless your towing heavy.

Stock tires for now so thats DRW 235/85/16.

Engine is baseline LS6 with bushed Crower titanium rods forged JE 8.5:1 flatop pistons, port matched and polished open chamber heads.

Could get a bump up on compression with a change to felpro blue head gaskets over the solid copper.

With current gas prices low compression for cheap gas and save the cash. 235/85r16's with nv4500 and 4.10s would be the setup I'd personally run if I had it all laying around.

That is right at exactly what I have laying about, it was either swap the gear set in the D60 or the D70 in the rear thats 4:10.

With current gas prices low compression for cheap gas and save the cash. 235/85r16's with nv4500 and 4.10s would be the setup I'd personally run if I had it all laying around.

Top Back Refresh