What's new

Blower fan resistors

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
republic of Vancouver island
My 4runner with an estimated 600,000km on it has fucked wiring for the heater fan and switch. I had to put it on a hardwired switch out in the bush one day after a wire broke somewhere. So now I have 2 choices, full blast, or off. I'd like a third option of a lower setting.
Any idea what rating resistor I should wire in on the third setting?
I'm using a 3 position switch, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I think I should wire it:

position 1(high)- switch triggers relay, relay powers fan.
Position 2 (off)
position 3 (low)- switch triggers relay, relay feeds to resistor, then to the fan motor.

I'm a little wiring retarded, so I probably need some spoon feeding on this one.

I had the same problem. Blower only worked on high. Replaced the resistor and still had the same problem. Turns out the positive wire had gotten too hot and melted the plug. I said fuck it and never ended up fixing it.

I had the same problem. Blower only worked on high. Replaced the resistor and still had the same problem. Turns out the positive wire had gotten too hot and melted the plug. I said fuck it and never ended up fixing it.

Every third gen pickup I've had has melted the switch. I gave up on factory wiring, I just want to know what resist-y-ness of resistor I need to slow the fan down a bit.

Top Back Refresh