What's new

Blasted some birds, 870 started acting up

Fishnbeer

The dude abides
Member Number
Loc
CA
Went on a duck hunt. A couple times I had trouble extracting 3" shells, even had 1 fail to fire - just a click with no bang.
I have owned it for +/- 5 yrs, primary use is trap/skeet, has been on 2 turkey hunts and this duck hunt. Probably 700 rounds through it.

I have never taken it apart and cleaned it. A bore snake and a shot of ballistol in the action is all I have ever done.

Well I decided it was time to clean it. Here is what I found

20231211_151350.jpg

20231211_151422.jpg

I got lazy with this one and neglected it. May have missed a bird due to a fail to fire. Nobody to blame but me.

20231210_063804.jpg

I broke one of the action rods off my S&W. Dunno how long it had been broke, fucker worked pretty good with only one:laughing:

I ordered a volquartsen extractor. From what I understand they used the MIM process on the factory one which results in a softer material. The volquartsen is a machined part and I have a ton of volquartsen stuff in all my rugers. It was $25, so what the heck.

That nut that holds the forend on never stays tight, I will probably put a dabortwo of loctite on when I get around to dickin with it again

I ordered a volquartsen extractor. From what I understand they used the MIM process on the factory one which results in a softer material. The volquartsen is a machined part and I have a ton of volquartsen stuff in all my rugers. It was $25, so what the heck.

That nut that holds the forend on never stays tight, I will probably put a dabortwo of loctite on when I get around to dickin with it again

I think it's the police models get a cross notched mag tube cap so they can use a tool to get them tight. :laughing:

Grab it with pliers and do an extra click or two. Most of us just use our fingers, but it's ok if you can't. :flipoff2:

I'm not sure I've ever even pulled the trigger pack out of my 870. Shit, I don't even remember lubing it in the last 20 years. It still worked great last time out though. :smokin:

I think it's the police models get a cross notched mag tube cap so they can use a tool to get them tight. :laughing:

Grab it with pliers and do an extra click or two. Most of us just use our fingers, but it's ok if you can't. :flipoff2:

I'm not sure I've ever even pulled the trigger pack out of my 870. Shit, I don't even remember lubing it in the last 20 years. It still worked great last time out though. :smokin:
Oh its not the mag tube cap that was loose. It was that slotted nut secures the wood forend onto the action bar slide tube. I did get a new mag tube cap that has the sling stud and it is knurled

Top Back Refresh