What's new

Bison

If you kill it, eat it. Free protein, tastes ok. Not as good as beef, pork, or chicken. If you’re paying a premium for it, it’s just a misplaced wannabe redneck thing—cause rednecks kill mediocre meat, they don’t pay for it.

If you kill it, eat it. Free protein, tastes ok. Not as good as beef, pork, or chicken. If you’re paying a premium for it, it’s just a misplaced wannabe redneck thing—cause rednecks kill mediocre meat, they don’t pay for it.

support local business, eat local meat.

bison is more american than cow if you are buying meat anyway

Love me some Bison. Sayersbrook Bison Ranch is close to me and they used to let the Jeep and Hummer clubs come out, cut trails and do outings. Naturally they all ended at their little meat market on the way out. It was awesome for a day of quick wheel'n and grocery shopping lol. Unfortunately they stopped the wheel'n activities.

They say, bison has a third of the fat and a forth of the cholesterol, of regular beef.

I use to run 100 head of buffalo, but it got to be too much work.
Doesn't matter how good your fencing, if they want to leave, they will end up at the neighbors. I was tired of getting calls from the local sheriff.
Also, you can't pasture and work them like cattle. Inevitably, you get them corralled up and one or two will go wild and break their own neck trying to escape.
And forget trying to herd them on horse. If they turn on you, you need a dirtbike to get clear. Those damn things are big, but they can run like deer.

The current market might justify running buffalo. But i found it easier to run an additional 100 head of cattle.

Sharon and I drove into/through Yellowstone Natl Park last Aug. we stopped numerous times to look at the bison that were right next to the road. A couple of times I warned some idiots that trying to stand next to one for a photo-op was a really bad idea. Those things are ornery and can move surprisingly fast. One minute they're very placid and the next it's a blindingly fast charge.

Sharon and I drove into/through Yellowstone Natl Park last Aug. we stopped numerous times to look at the bison that were right next to the road. A couple of times I warned some idiots that trying to stand next to one for a photo-op was a really bad idea. Those things are ornery and can move surprisingly fast. One minute they're very placid and the next it's a blindingly fast charge.

I had one of my ranch hands get tossed, like you see in those Yellowstone/buffalo/tourist videos. Those things are no joke.
On the flip side: I had a Red Angus bull, breed a couple heifer buffalo. We called them calves Beefalo and it was some of the best meat I have ever had.

I had one of my ranch hands get tossed, like you see in those Yellowstone/buffalo/tourist videos. Those things are no joke.
On the flip side: I had a Red Angus bull, breed a couple heifer buffalo. We called them calves Beefalo and it was some of the best meat I have ever had.

I've heard of beefalo, but never seen one or had the meat.

Top Back Refresh