What's new

Big Truck Tow-Rig Licensing/Insurance

TrikeKid

Junk Hoarder
Member Number
Loc
Spana-graham, WA
So I inherited what was left of my dad's collection of semi-trucks and parts when he passed last year, I've re-homed most of them but I've got this old narrow-nose Kenworth still hanging around. Truck isn't really good for a working rig, it was supposed to end up as a toterhome type thing that he never got around to. It's an 8V71 backed with a 4+3 so it'd be miserable to work if a guy wanted to without repowering, aluminum frame so you can't really stretch it like the show truck guys want. Personally, I love 2 stroke Detroit racket and I'm not trying to make a living with one, I think I could squeeze enough flat-bed on the back for my flat fender and/or just drive around making noise and smoke.

Problems with this plan are of course insuring it and my lack of a class-A. I don't have time or really the desire to go get my CDL just to fuck around with this thing on the weekend. How are you guys running big-trucks as a crawler hauler/tow rig handling the legal side of things?

I believe at one time the old man was going to do enough to reg it as an RV, it's got a big Aerodyne sleeper on it right now but I'd really like to put the old 36" flat-top back on it which makes it kinda tight to meet the RV equipment requirements. Apparently if you get it licensed as an RV all that pesky commercial insurance and air brake endorsement stuff goes out the window from what I've gathered.

Reactions: PAE
I was able to title mine as a motorhome and declare my GVW as 26,000lbs. So legally it’s a 26,000lb motorhome.

You may also want to ask your questions in the “HDT Picture Thread”

No farms in the family, from what I can gather WA is specific it has to be registered to a farm to be exempt.
Also I believe you're limited to how far from home base you can be with that. Do the RV route, that would be the easiest and I've heard it's not that hard in WA.

Oh yeah, where's the pictures of truck?:flipoff2:

There is more than the ag exemption from memory, remember this is self certification so you most likely wont be interrogated by state or federal officers.

Not all states forms honor all of the dot, categorys of exemptions.

Category 2: Interstate, but operating exclusively in transportation or operations excepted under 49
CFR 390.3(f), 391.2, 391.68, or 398.3. No medical certificate is required, except for school bus operations. Medical monitoring may be required by the North Dakota Drivers License Division pending certain medical conditions.

 School bus operations crossing state lines. Medical Certificate must be carried by the school bus driver. Do
not send it to our office.
 Transportation performed by the Federal government, a State, or any political subdivision of a State.

 Occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation, nor in the
furtherance ofa commercial enterprise.

 The transportation of human corpses or sick and injured persons.

 The operation of fire trucks and rescue vehicles while involved in emergency and related operations.

 A 9 to 15 passenger van, including the driver, weighing less than 26,001 gross vehicle weight rating, and
notforcompensation.

 Apiarian industries (Beekeepers).

 Farm custom operations(CustomHarvesters).

 Non-articulated farm vehicle driversoperating within a 150 mile radius of the farm.

 Covered Farm Vehicles displaying farm plates/CFVdesignation (straight trucks and articulated vehicles). If more than 26,001 lbs., the driver may operate within home state, and if crossing state lines, within a 150 mile radius of owner or operator’s farm or ranch. If 26,001 lbs. or less, the driver may operate anywhere in the U.S.

 Private motor carrier of passengers(nonbusiness). For example, organizationsexempt from the Internal
Revenue Code that provide transportation for their members.

 Emergency delivery of propane winter heating fuel and pipeline response.

 Drivers of migrant workers (must meet minimum medical standards only; 49 CFR 398.3).

20220326_230501.jpg

Also I believe you're limited to how far from home base you can be with that. Do the RV route, that would be the easiest and I've heard it's not that hard in WA.

Oh yeah, where's the pictures of truck?:flipoff2:

Last edited:
I'll look harder at the RV thing I guess, maybe find a 60" flat top to make that easier, not big on this sleeper for this truck.

Picture of the unit in question.

PXL_20230729_212251483.jpg
Yeah Flattop sleeper on that is :smokin:.
Do the RV registration thing first. Before you switch it out to a flat top.

Reach out to your state DMV and find out what is needed to convert the title to RV. Usually a toilet, cooking device and sink.. Along with some sorta documentation or inspection. We did that 1st. Then the insurance was far easier. We went non commercial. We also registered with the fed DOT and received a non commercial number. Bonus there is we listed the oxy setup and propane fuel for interstate transport and never have to worry with that.

They have a conversion kit to convert that sleeper to a flat top IIRC.

IIRC, In WA there's a list of things like toilet, bed, way to cook food, fridge, stuff like that. And you need to have at least three of those items to register it as an RV.

Top Back Refresh