What's new

Bicycles and cyclists are racist

Provience

Kill!
Member Number
Loc
Gatesville, TX
at least 4 separate articles are headlines today on MSN news about how bikes are racists

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/c...ack-people/ar-BB17faHm?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

Please don’t think you’re doing Black people a favor by promoting your color blindness or claiming that “bikes don’t discriminate.” Of course, bicycles aren’t racist but cyclists can be, both overtly and covertly. And we don’t somehow magically shed our Blackness when we get in the saddle. Honestly, I need you to see my skin color because my experience as a Black cyclist greatly differs from non-Black cyclists and I need you to know and see that.

It’s going to take deep systemic change and action. It’s going to take white folks in leadership stepping aside for Black leadership. It’s going to take divestment from working with police and other institutions that uphold and represent violence against Black folks.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/i...escription/ar-BB17eWt5?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

Being Black in America is living under constant terror daily, every minute, every second, from microaggressions to lynchings. It’s a life of oppression and it’s been that for generations. We are still dealing with the Black Codes and Jim Crow laws that were enacted to limit and control the movement of Black people.

I’ve been riding bikes in L.A. since the early ’90s. I lived across the street from Paramount Studios in Hollywood and would ride my bike to Venice Beach several times a week. For me, biking is about freedom and transportation, being able to go anywhere at any time and also being healthy. But I would get stopped by the police in Beverly Hills, because I “fit” the description of someone that just committed a burglary. Being Black and cycling is the same thing as being Black and driving, walking, breathing, existing—constantly reacting to racism in all areas of activity.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/b...data-shows/ar-BB17f4e8?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

Cycling while Black carries a heightened risk of being stopped, searched, ticketed, and arrested. That’s according to our review of public data from three U.S. cities—Oakland, New Orleans, and Washington, D.C. Our research on police stops of cyclists also confirms that Black neighborhoods tend to be more heavily policed than white areas.

“Being stopped and harassed is one of the top concerns of Black and brown cyclists,” says Charles Brown, a senior transportation researcher at Rutgers University.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/t...e-on-bikes/ar-BB17ff5O?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

But life as a Black person on a bicycle is not much different than when I’m off. Walking into the grocery store or sitting on my couch, I have the same level of vulnerability to violent extremes that can be enacted on me at any point. Poet Claudia Rankine said “because white men can't police their imagination Black men are dying.” Botham Jean and Breonna Taylor were both shot and killed in their homes by police. I do not know one white friend who worries about being shot and killed. I do not have one white friend who thinks twice when pulled over by the police. I do not have one white friend who was followed while shopping. I do not have one white friend whose intelligence has ever been questioned. I am scared when pulled over by the police. I have been followed when shopping. A white person could say the exact thing I said and not be questioned.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/how-cyclists-can-be-anti-racist/ar-BB17fdfi?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

A white cyclist chiming in on a group ride and saying that passing through this neighborhood isn’t safe for non-white members of the group is brave and creating a brave space on that ride.

i know, everybody is tired of it, etc. etc. but yeah, hard to say that it isn't an agenda being driven by propaganda. Am I saying that racism is good? certainly not.

Unless it's a spandex clad Lance Armstrong wannabe I just assume any adult riding a bike in my neighborhood is a bum on a stolen bike.

micro-aggressions were the clearest sign that society had made significant strides against systemic racism. this shit is wack, yo. too many people have "white friends" that are racist liberals and it clearly shows how damaging decades of messaging have been.

Unless it's a spandex clad Lance Armstrong wannabe I just assume any adult riding a bike in my neighborhood is a bum on a stolen bike.

This Completely

I live in an area that is exclusively used by bike clubs and groups on the weekends, It's not uncommon to have groups of 30 or 40 at a time go by the house.
But on the same token, On a Tuesday trash day anyone on a bike is homeless rifling through my trash for recyclables. Pretty easy to tell the difference.

I grew up in San Jose, lots of blacks rode bikes back then, usually with the road bike handlebars flipped downside up. Ima call bullshit on this crybaby.

Being Black in America is living under constant terror daily, every minute, every second, from microaggressions to lynchings. It’s a life of oppression and it’s been that for generations. We are still dealing with the Black Codes and Jim Crow laws that were enacted to limit and control the movement of Black people.

someone needs to explain this to me. Where is there still Jim Crow laws that arent also applied to white people? I know gun control was enacted by the democrats to disarm black people, but thats also foisted upon everyone, regardless of color, where those laws are applied.

also, constant terror, every second... that seems pretty rough. can anyone confirm that is really whats happening?

" I do not have one white friend who thinks twice when pulled over by the police. I do not have one white friend who was followed while shopping. I do not have one white friend whose intelligence has ever been questioned. I am scared when pulled over by the police. I have been followed when shopping. A white person could say the exact thing I said and not be questioned."

EVERY time I have been in a big box store and they called for a security scan on isle 7, I was the only one on isle 7. I must look like a white Felon. 50/50 chance I will have an officer with a gun drawn felony stop style when I get pulled over. Last time I got a ticket was 18 years ago.

Basically, if they look trashy they're probably bums, thieves, or low level drug dealers. Or maybe somebody with a DUI. Most of the DUI ones learn to clean up their appearance so they look like a downhill biker or spandex warrior faggot, since people they know will then stop asking if they got a DUI.

Race is really not a factor.

Kinda lost me on:
It’s going to take white folks in leadership stepping aside for Black leadership.
But it does strip bear the facade.

How about the most qualified person gets the job? Hiring people for a job BECAUSE of race is a bad as not hiring BECAUSE of race. There is already an upward trend in diversity in upper management, especially in State and local govt. Both our county manager and Sheriff are Black.

It is kind of an awkward truth for BLM. Some of the poorly run areas they are complaining about have people of color at the top.

Top Back Refresh