What's new

Best source for Cummins Belt Tensioner

DRTDEVL

Mothfukle
Member Number
Loc
Austin... TX? Nope. Minnesota!
So my F800 is eating belts, figured out pretty quickly that the tensioner is roached and the belt is riding partly off the back of the pulley, which then pulls it back to being partly off the rear of the A/C pulley, eventually cutting the rear-most rib off the belt. As with most things lately, I have found aftermarket parts to be of minimal quality to g4et them out the door and in your hands, only to be DOA or fail in short order.

With my mostly Mercedes diesel experience, INA or Litens are the only good aftermarket choices without paying the dealer premium. Rumor has it that Gates farmed their production for these out to Litens as well and people are having good results there, too. I'm guessing that the tensioner on an ISB is going to find similar issues with quality.

With that said, who makes a good tensioner for these things at a decent price?

Just get any big brand. ACDelco, TRW, Motorcraft, pretty much anything of decent repute is fine.

i just bought this Gates kit from Rock Auto for my 97 Ram CTD and it seems good:

That's weird... The kit is $64.89, but the tensioner is $83.79 by itself.

I already have the FleetRunner belt (I bought it the day I noticed the tensioner acting up, just in case), but I can keep it as a spare. Thanks for the link.

Oops. The belt won't work, as mine is K080830, the kit has K080810. Its 2.1 inches shorter.

Oh, well. I'll probably sell it on FB Marketplace stupid cheap to cover the shipping of the kit and even more of the tensioner's cost.

SHIT. Now I looked closer, and my tensioner is 38517, this kit is 38157.

I guess I'll eyeball everything to see if it fits and if not, deal with the RA returns process and get the right parts for my truck separately.

if you have already ordered, you may be able to go in and edit your order as long as they haven't shipped it.

the bearings in the one for your truck are larger, everything else is close:
GATES 38517 Specifications
Bearing Bore Inside Diameter 1 (IN)1.18
Bearing Bore Inside Diameter 1 (MM)30
Belt TypeV-Ribbed
Contact SurfaceSmooth/Backside
ContentsTensioner Assy., Bolt
MaterialSteel
Mounting Hole Quantity1
Outside Diameter (IN)2.95
Outside Diameter (MM)75
Pulley 1 FlangedNo
Pulley Quantity1
Width1.28"

GATES 38157 Specifications
Bearing Bore Inside Diameter 1 (IN).41
Bearing Bore Inside Diameter 1 (MM)10.3
Belt TypeV-Ribbed
MaterialSteel
Mounting Hole Quantity1
Outside Diameter (IN)3
Outside Diameter (MM)76
Pulley 1 FlangedNo
Pulley Quantity1
Width1.3"

if you have already ordered, you may be able to go in and edit your order as long as they haven't shipped it.

the bearings in the one for your truck are larger, everything else is close:
GATES 38517 Specifications
Bearing Bore Inside Diameter 1 (IN)1.18
Bearing Bore Inside Diameter 1 (MM)30
Belt TypeV-Ribbed
ContentsTensioner Assy., Bolt
MaterialSteel
Mounting Hole Quantity1
Outside Diameter (IN)2.95
Outside Diameter (MM)75
Pulley 1 FlangedNo
Pulley Quantity1
Width1.28"

GATES 38157 Specifications
Bearing Bore Inside Diameter 1 (IN).41
Bearing Bore Inside Diameter 1 (MM)10.3
Belt TypeV-Ribbed
MaterialSteel
Mounting Hole Quantity1
Outside Diameter (IN)3
Outside Diameter (MM)76
Pulley 1 FlangedNo
Pulley Quantity1
Width1.3"
The problem is they don't seem to offer a "kit" for mine, only separate parts, and the tensioner alone is $20 more than this kit.

I was able to cancel the order, not sure if it will cancel or not, I have to wait 2 days for the confirmation email.
I guess I'll just order the Gates tensioner itself now.

Yup. $99.88 vs $80.51 is the difference between this tensioner and the kit after shipping and taxes. Still cheaper than going through Cummins themselves, but damn that's a lot for a super common tensioner (the X15 uses the same one).

I finally opened the box today (its been in my entryway for a couple weeks now), and I pulled the inner box. "Made in Canada" on it. I pulled the tensioner out, and its also stamped "Made in Canada."

Hopefully this fares better than a lot of the craptacular Chinese imported shit on the market.

I finally opened the box today (its been in my entryway for a couple weeks now), and I pulled the inner box. "Made in Canada" on it. I pulled the tensioner out, and its also stamped "Made in Canada."

Hopefully this fares better than a lot of the craptacular Chinese imported shit on the market.
First your belt tensioner, next your favorite web site. It's a slippery slope.:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh