What's new

Best bang for buck welder

My first unit was a Lincoln SP140 Plus I think it was. Little 220 machine I picked up for $400, put a new liner in it and ran numerous spoils through it without issue.

Just picked up an ESAB EMP235 and it has been a killer unit.

Just ordered a Hobart 210 to replace my worn out 140. Paid just over $1,000 with tax and the spool gun, looks like the newer Miller 211 inverters are $1,350 without any of that.

Looking to pick up a welding cart, would like something that can hold dual 80 cu ft cylinders and large enough wheels to make it over an extension cord. I built one previously, between all the bullshit handles, stinger holders, and painting, it wasn’t worth it.

True to form, looks like I’m going to end up building a cart for the welder. Luckily I have an old generator frame laying around that I haven’t thrown away, think it will make a perfect base. Two 80 cu ft cylinders will fit side by side inside the frame over the rear axle. Will have to see how the welder sits when it comes in. Also have another set of (hopefully) good tires, off an air tank I built, and some 4” swivel locking casters for the front. Pack rat FTW!

Click image for larger version Name:	B25519D2-2086-4DF3-BA9E-8A1DA04B895A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	302.5 KB ID:	328505

Last edited:
Hobart owns Miller. https://www.hobartbrothers.com/abou... family-owned,company of Miller Electric Mfg. Hobart is selling Miller's previous model versions that were rebranded. Miller puts out the flashy newness, Hobart sells the slightly older version/tech with the bugs worked out for alot less. Exact same stuff inside. Course if you just like the blue paint job.....

I have three Hobarts.

sometimes Hobart gets plastic parts instead of metal on the millers, there are a couple more corners cut than just being older style.

that said, I own and recommend Hobart all day long

sometimes Hobart gets plastic parts instead of metal on the millers, there are a couple more corners cut than just being older style.

that said, I own and recommend Hobart all day long

From my reading, the current 210’s have a metal feed roller setup, as well as the better quality gun and ground clamp.

From my reading, the current 210’s have a metal feed roller setup, as well as the better quality gun and ground clamp.

nice :smokin: still, when looking at used equipment, something to be aware of.

granted, for a home or hobbyist or even light industrial use, not a deal breaker

nice :smokin: still, when looking at used equipment, something to be aware of.

granted, for a home or hobbyist or even light industrial use, not a deal breaker

My old used Hobart 210 has a metal feed roller setup. I've had it 8 years, and it was used when I got it.

Bump, looking for a welder in the same category, with a catch. I need to have a new mig welder in my hand by the end of the weekend. I was at my local welding store yesterday, and they were telling me it would be at least a month to get anything into the store due to the current supply chain struggles, so I'm in a position where I may be forced to buy an off brand import just to have it here in a timely fashion so I can get product out the door next week.

Has anyone actually used the newer HF Vulcan welders (if they even have them in stock)? Next question, has anyone used any of the brightly colored no-name brands on Amazon? I'm looking at the ones that can deliver by Sunday, and from what I'm seeing that essentially excludes name brands. Yes I know it's higher risk and may die quickly (as long as it's not DOA), but that's a risk I have to take to be back up and going immediately.

I don't think the autoset function on the 211 finished college, mines retarded!

Bump, looking for a welder in the same category, with a catch. I need to have a new mig welder in my hand by the end of the weekend. I was at my local welding store yesterday, and they were telling me it would be at least a month to get anything into the store due to the current supply chain struggles, so I'm in a position where I may be forced to buy an off brand import just to have it here in a timely fashion so I can get product out the door next week.

Has anyone actually used the newer HF Vulcan welders (if they even have them in stock)? Next question, has anyone used any of the brightly colored no-name brands on Amazon? I'm looking at the ones that can deliver by Sunday, and from what I'm seeing that essentially excludes name brands. Yes I know it's higher risk and may die quickly (as long as it's not DOA), but that's a risk I have to take to be back up and going immediately.
A cheap inverter won't be as "smooth" of an arc as a transformer machine but it will weld just fine. I would have zero qualms about sticking together shit my life depended on with a HF welder I bought an hour prior. If you can weld worth a shit you will know what's up the second you strike an arc. Some of the fancy pants features may be lacking but if you are really that hard up for a welder it shouldn't matter.

A cheap inverter won't be as "smooth" of an arc as a transformer machine but it will weld just fine. I would have zero qualms about sticking together shit my life depended on with a HF welder I bought an hour prior. If you can weld worth a shit you will know what's up the second you strike an arc. Some of the fancy pants features may be lacking but if you are really that hard up for a welder it shouldn't matter.

I've done most of my welding on old transformer machines with limited features and I still really like them, in fact I've been hesitant to step up to something too fancy just so I can still be in control of it all. But I've run some pulse spray mig in the past, and have considered adding something like a Miller 255 to give me that capability for production welding. For now though, I'll be happy with a functioning basic welder.

I actually just realized there's a tractor supply within reach I didn't know about, and it looks like they have a Hobart on the shelf I can grab in the AM. Fingers crossed.

Hobart Handler 140 is just over $500 at Tractor Supply.
lincoln 140 is almost $600 at Depot
Harbor freight has a 170 amp in this price.

I’d say Hobart 140. When you max out this machine constantly it’s time to move on.

I was the same way with transformer machines and then bought an inverter machine out of convenience (size/multi-process) and I pretty much only use the auto set feature. Usually only changing it to go up a size in material if I'm tacking.

Hobart machines are solid though. Good luck at tractor supply.

Well, today was a lot of running around and ending up with the one I didn’t expect. Went to TSC, and their online inventory lied they didn’t have a 190 in stock. Went by another welding store, they didn’t have any 220 machines of any color in inventory, didn’t even have a display they could sell me, and didn’t know when they were getting more. Ended up at HF, and walked out with a Vulcan Migmax 215. I’ve gotta say, initial impressions are solid.

put it together with the supplied 2lb spool of .030, did two test beads then built this track bar bracket. You can see where I was messing with settings and relearning how to use .030 as I’ve almost always run .023, but it welded like butter. A little more familiarity on my end and I’ll be happy as can be. Nice to have a machine that just works with no fuss.
70E1C8F0-0CDC-44D4-A807-6980D62C03B0.jpeg
1B8FBAAB-275F-4A86-8298-D27E0A3BB395.jpeg
7D172088-8E59-4BDA-9B88-3DA46C533CAB.jpeg

I didn’t know those had a material thickness setting. Did you use it on the 1/4” stuff?

you might want to knock off thst stuck mig wire. :flipoff2:

Yeah yeah haha, at least you know I wasn’t dressing things up to look pretty.

Burned through the rest of the 2lb spool of .030 today and swapped in a 10lber of .023 in. It’s nice that this machine uses standard off the shelf tweco style tips so no fuss there. I’m still as sold as I was yesterday, this thing is putting in work so far.

F5C95D83-5494-4A4D-BC7C-58EDDDEAA8F2.jpeg

Why do you prefer. 023 wire? Just more diverse for when you have light gauge stuff?

I've always liked the extra puddle control it offers, but admittedly may use this time of adapting to a new machine to make the switch to .030 for manufacturing. There's no denying it deposits metal faster so I can speed up production welding.

But yeah I come from a background of building unibody jeeps, so .023-.025 wire has been a perfect cover-all solution. And still welds 3/16" and 1/4" fine

Figure its time for a fun bump in this thread. I just needed something to get me by that I’ve been ready to replace at any time. But truth is, thing just fawking works. Definitely run 100% .035” wire these days, it’s the only way if all you do is 3/16” or 1/4”

IMG_9190.jpeg

To be clear I don’t push insane volumes of wire through this thing as far as production goes, but asking a lot out of a hobbyist machine. I’m happy with everything about it after learning the ins and outs vs my decade+ old overworked hobbyist machines lol

Figure its time for a fun bump in this thread. I just needed something to get me by that I’ve been ready to replace at any time. But truth is, thing just fawking works. Definitely run 100% .035” wire these days, it’s the only way if all you do is 3/16” or 1/4”
Bump for feedback. My ancient ESAB MIG is annoying me and before i start doing anything other than tacks on the rail I'm really eyeing the Vulcan omnipro 220.

Bump for feedback. My ancient ESAB MIG is annoying me and before i start doing anything other than tacks on the rail I'm really eyeing the Vulcan omnipro 220.

Look up Primeweld. I have their 225 TIG and love it.

I have a Miller215 and love it for MIG, but it's a marginal TIG machine. Scratch strike sucks. That's the downfall to most any Multiprocess setup.

Shoot, slipped up on responding to this. I’ve got the MigMax, and yeah it’s been a solid unit so far, no regrets at all. I’m still going to get another machine that can handle larger spools at some point, but because the Bulcan just works, it hasn’t been a top priority

best bang for the buck welder is going to be the one given to you from a family or friend that is cleaning out the shed

Top Back Refresh