What's new

Belts (for ATV)

woods

I probably did it wrong.
Member Number
ATV needs a belt. There's $30 belts and $70 belts. These things all the same? Or am I going to wipe the $30 out in a day? "Gates" is the brand in question here.

I’m having really good luck with sandstorm belts. They’re $160 for my turbo RZR. What machine is it?

I have no atv belt experience but I have never had an issue with a gates brand belt.

I’m having really good luck with sandstorm belts. They’re $160 for my turbo RZR. What machine is it?

2006 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI

Just a yard machine. Dub around in the woods a little bit.

Whats wrong with OEM? It lasted you this long.

Just the price. $30 vs $77. Only had the machine a couple years now. Bought it last year I think? Who knows how old this belt is.

2006 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI

Just a yard machine. Dub around in the woods a little bit.

For that I’d just buy a gates and forget about it. 4wheelers don’t seem to eat belts all that often. A friend I know has an 05 Grizzly with the original belt and over 2500 miles.

For that I’d just buy a gates and forget about it. 4wheelers don’t seem to eat belts all that often. A friend I know has an 05 Grizzly with the original belt and over 2500 miles.

Yamahas don't eat belts like the others because they have a wet clutch, so at idle the primary comes to a complete stop and never actually slips on the belt.

I blew a belt in Utah years ago in my Turbo rzr with 32” tires.
I replaced the $200 Polaris belt multiple times and forgot to grab a spare before the trip.

Went to a local mx shop and they were sold out, but the guy behind the counter quietly told me to go over to Napa and buy their belt. It was $60-70, so I bought 2, figuring it would break quick. That was 3 years ago. That belt is still in my rzr.

The spare went onto my buddys turbo a couple trips later. He is a hardcore Polaris guy, so he put a factory belt back on. He still has my Napa belt as a spare, so every time he breaks a Polaris belt, he can keep going.

I’m gonna call him and see if the writing is still on it because I’m pretty sure it was a gates.

Yamahas don't eat belts like the others because they have a wet clutch, so at idle the primary comes to a complete stop and never actually slips on the belt.

is this what they are doing on the Viking SxS?

I was surprised to learn that the belt comes with a 10 year warranty which seems crazy long!

My Maverick goes through a belt every 6 weeks

Not arguing with you, but I don't know of a single snowmobile that doesn't have the primary directly on the crank, and they don't eat belts like bikes. I realize that on a sled it's usually colder and that heat really kills belts.

New belts driven by highballers (like mountain riders) might only last half hour if driven hard.

I run belts for years on my Skandics, and that's pulling ice huts quite a bit, and for 5-6 miles at a time.

In my experience, belts get fucked up when the machine is in high range and trying to climb up the ramp onto the trailer. People giver gas but the machine ain't moving, primary burns a hole in the belt. They also get fucked up when pulling ice shacks. I watch my temp guage and when the engine gets hot I'll stop and let the engine cool. Using ice or snow on the heat exchangers can keep the engine cooler for longer, but can do nothing for the belt. If the motor's hot, so is the belt.

I believe 99% of belt failures are due to overtemp.

Question: Would using bigger belts prevent overtemp failure? Would a larger belt transfer power more efficiently without heating up so much?

Top Back Refresh