What's new

Belize?

COcamper

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Aldrich, MO
Where to go? Where to stay? Anything that is a must do? Must avoid?

Planning a trip with the wife and pretty sure we have settled on Belize.

Anyone got any first hand experience?

Looking at Placencia or San Pedro- the two more "popular" areas but certainly open to any other suggestions. Both of these destinations will require a short flight from Belize City, as we don't want a 1.5 hour water taxi or 4 hour drive after our flight down there...

We prefer AirBnB type accommodations vs resorts, as we like to eat where the locals eat and experience more of the host country.

Thanks!

Where to go? Where to stay? Anything that is a must do? Must avoid?

Planning a trip with the wife and pretty sure we have settled on Belize.

Anyone got any first hand experience?

Looking at Placencia or San Pedro- the two more "popular" areas but certainly open to any other suggestions. Both of these destinations will require a short flight from Belize City, as we don't want a 1.5 hour water taxi or 4 hour drive after our flight down there...

We prefer AirBnB type accommodations vs resorts, as we like to eat where the locals eat and experience more of the host country.

Thanks!

I went there and had a good time. I went to Placencia, Kay Caulker and Corazel. Kay Caulker is like San Pedro, but smaller. They both remind me of Key west. If you are of the younger age, you will probably like them. I felt they were more "US turresty" Placencia is slightly more geared to an older crowd and has a more Belize feel to it. We thought it was fantastic. We were looking to buy property there and Placencia or Corazel are our choices for that.

I have to tell you the drive from Belize city was great! I know it might sound scary, but it was one of the most interesting and beautiful drives I've ever done.

Did some tower work on Caye Caulker (No Safety here BTW, The big ass generators are exposed to the public, oil leaking everywhere into tubs, power lines crisscroosed like spaghetti). neat place. go to the bar at the split.

We stayed out on Tobacco Caye after staying at Caves Branch for a week years and years ago. I loved it, would totally go back. Small island living on the Caye was great!

Did three weeks in belize city working. Fuck that hell hole.

Reactions: Jag
I went there and had a good time. I went to Placencia, Kay Caulker and Corazel. Kay Caulker is like San Pedro, but smaller. They both remind me of Key west. If you are of the younger age, you will probably like them. I felt they were more "US turresty" Placencia is slightly more geared to an older crowd and has a more Belize feel to it. We thought it was fantastic. We were looking to buy property there and Placencia or Corazel are our choices for that.

I have to tell you the drive from Belize city was great! I know it might sound scary, but it was one of the most interesting and beautiful drives I've ever done.

Did you buy? Care to share the experience here or another thread? Here it is the place to invest right now.

Been there twice. Stayed north once and drove all over. Just avoided Belize city. Nice people, good people and most spoke English. I loved the whole country. The next trip I went to Kay Caulker. I rented a little house on the island for $230 for the whole week. Rode the boat out, met nice people, always felt safe. That being said it felt like it was changing and we were watching it. At that time, probably about 7 years ago it was the low-cost option compared to San Pedro.

went there as part of me and my wifes honeymoon cruise. our excursion was a bus ride to xunantunich mayan ruins. drive was long but it was cool something ive never seen before, lots of green jungle like shit. saw a large sign fer wix filters along the way. the ruins were awesome since im into that kinda thing. kinda wierd to see soldiers patrolling the area by the ruins and not doing it well by the way. the whole 'you better belize(believe) it' got old real fast.

RUGER:usa:

GTFO out of Belize City and head to a Caye. I've been to Ambergris Caye and did scuba diving which was spectacular.

Belize is still in covid lockdown.

Did you buy? Care to share the experience here or another thread? Here it is the place to invest right now.

Not yet. Ocean front property is definitely less expensive than the US. (We want ocean front) The cost of living (besides land) is not as cheap as we were led to believe. We are still considering it and are planning another trip.

There is a political issue there right now. Belize was part of Honduras long ago. The British were supposed to build a road in Honduras for the rights to Belize. They moved in and never built the road. Honduras didn't have the army to kick them out. Later, the British gave Belize their independence. Now Hunduras is claiming it is still theirs. It is being fought in the world courts as we speak. It is to be decided in the next few years. Not sure if I want to invest in land under those conditions.

went there as part of me and my wifes honeymoon cruise. our excursion was a bus ride to xunantunich mayan ruins. drive was long but it was cool something ive never seen before, lots of green jungle like shit. saw a large sign fer wix filters along the way. the ruins were awesome since im into that kinda thing. kinda wierd to see soldiers patrolling the area by the ruins and not doing it well by the way. the whole 'you better belize(believe) it' got old real fast.

RUGER:usa:

If liked xunanatunich then you MUST go to Copan in HN, it makes xunantunich look like a toy.

Not yet. Ocean front property is definitely less expensive than the US. (We want ocean front) The cost of living (besides land) is not as cheap as we were led to believe. We are still considering it and are planning another trip.

There is a political issue there right now. Belize was part of Honduras long ago. The British were supposed to build a road in Honduras for the rights to Belize. They moved in and never built the road. Honduras didn't have the army to kick them out. Later, the British gave Belize their independence. Now Hunduras is claiming it is still theirs. It is being fought in the world courts as we speak. It is to be decided in the next few years. Not sure if I want to invest in land under those conditions.

we thought about buying in Belize, be very careful. The locals love tourists, they hate expats. When you were there did you notice there are no prices in the grocery stores? They charge expats double for everything.

My parents in law have a lot in Belize. It's been a terrible investment for them and they can't get rid of it without losing a bunch of money. As mentioned above, they treat tourists well but they absolutely hate expats and foreign land owners.

we thought about buying in Belize, be very careful. The locals love tourists, they hate expats. When you were there did you notice there are no prices in the grocery stores? They charge expats double for everything.

My parents in law have a lot in Belize. It's been a terrible investment for them and they can't get rid of it without losing a bunch of money. As mentioned above, they treat tourists well but they absolutely hate expats and foreign land owners.

The Belize dollar is 1/2 of the US dollar. They take US dollars, but give change in Belize. If something costs 3 dollars Belize and you give them a US five dollar bill, they should give you seven dollars Belize back. But they often try to give you two dollars back just to see if you know what's going on. If you call them on it, they say they were confused and give you correct change. Of course, they aren't confused. Other than that, we had no problems.

I take that back. We rented a condo in Placencia that was "waterfront". It even had a picture takin from the rear balcony of the beach. When we got there, they had built another condo behind the one we rented that blocked the view. Obviously, the pic was old.

But I didn't find them to hate us. The places we went had prices. (In Belize)

Could you give me details on their lot?

Top Back Refresh