What's new

Beating a dead horse: tires

Will12785

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Syracuse, NY
Planning to order a new set of tires for my CCLB SRW F350.

Right now I'm looking at 2 different choices both in 285/75r16 flavor

1st) nitto durra grapplers. I saw them recommended by a member here and they seem like good tires.

2nd) Maxxis bravo HTs. I haven't seen much talk about them but I have other sets of maxxis and I love them.

Anyone have any experience with them? Pricing seems similar on both.

I ran durra grapplers on a 05 Dodge 2500 for 40 or 50k. A lot of that time was spent in VA. They were a great road/mild all terrain tire. Handled snow roads very well. Quieter than the terra grapplers they replaced at the time.

Ran dura grappler on 2010 mcsb srw towing my 5ver toyhauler...first 18k miles they were over 50%worn...like first tow you could see the difference between the front and rear tires....

Last 20k miles they wore like iron...not sure if different compounds but it seemed like it....

Had to turn around on a dirt side road and ran over a very very small bush.....a 1/8 stick went through the side wall like butter...

Did not get any more miles out of them vs the toyo at so I went back to at tire with much tougher sidewalls..

I would not buy again

My experience

Not one of your options, but I loved the Falken wild peaks on my last f350. Wife has 45k+ miles on them on her 4runner with a good 10k left. They will be replaced with wild peaks.

My next set of tires on the f series will be falkens

I buy tires that if a stick goes thru the sidewall like the OP discribed, the tire shop covers it, its called road hazard warranty, I've used it 4 times in the last 4 years makes for a just about a free tire, especially when the tires are 250-300 each.

Not that it matters but they are goodyear wrangler dura something.

Americas tire is the brand.

Ran dura grappler on 2010 mcsb srw towing my 5ver toyhauler...first 18k miles they were over 50%worn...like first tow you could see the difference between the front and rear tires....

Last 20k miles they wore like iron...not sure if different compounds but it seemed like it....

Had to turn around on a dirt side road and ran over a very very small bush.....a 1/8 stick went through the side wall like butter...

Did not get any more miles out of them vs the toyo at so I went back to at tire with much tougher sidewalls..

I would not buy again

My experience

Ya, wtf is the point of a highway tread if you can't get 75k+ out of them.

Like the nitto at's that last 30k miles.

Sounds like nitto makes shitty road tires.

Ya, wtf is the point of a highway tread if you can't get 75k+ out of them.

Like the nitto at's that last 30k miles.

Sounds like nitto makes shitty road tires.
My thought exactly....I bought the hype from 4 wheeler mag etc...

In fairness my buddy got 50k out of them with 50/50 tow dd duty..but he ran the tread way lower than I'm comfortable :homer:

They did run smooth and stay balanced too...

I buy tires that if a stick goes thru the sidewall like the OP discribed, the tire shop covers it, its called road hazard warranty, I've used it 4 times in the last 4 years makes for a just about a free tire, especially when the tires are 250-300 each.

Not that it matters but they are goodyear wrangler dura something.

Americas tire is the brand.

What the hell happens between your brain and the keyboard?

Are you saying you buy Goodyear Wrangler dura-tracs at America's Tire?

Goodyear is known to have butter sidewalls. I've been running Toyo's, and not paying for road hazard. So far I've saved enough to buy a whole set of tires without needing the insurance. I have blown a couple up, but they were both less than 10% tread and I was hoping they'd make that last 1500 miles before the winter tires went on.

Top Back Refresh