What's new

Bass fishing for dummies

Snowbird13

Member Number
Loc
Oregon
So the neighbors have a decent sized pond with bass in it. I can catch and release there. Supposedly, there are(or were) big ones in there. I want to help my boys catch their first fish. Pond is full of weeds and crap, so I don't think i can use a spinner of any type. Threw some worms on a bobber, and got 1 bite, but that was it. Any suggestions for a non-fisherman?

Get a plastic worm, rig it weedless on a 1/0 hook with a bullet sinker. Jig until you piss one off.

Floating frog. Twitch across the top of the weeds.

You’re not trying hard enough. I’ve caught them with orange foam ear plugs. Neighbor up the road from us had a large pond that got stocked regularly.

Get a plastic worm, rig it weedless on a 1/0 hook with a bullet sinker. Jig until you piss one off.
This, but I’ve never done the jigging. Just a slow reel with the end of the rod facing about 45 degrees away from where the worm lands in the water, reel with your thumb of your non-reeling hand holding the line out some so you can feel the hit. Then when you do, point the rod at the direction you were reeling from to give the fish some slack, when you feel him take off with it set the hook by giving it a good jerk back toward you and start reeling.

Where I live I’ve always had good luck with the purple and black worms. That’s all I’ve ever really used for bass.

This, but I’ve never done the jigging. Just a slow reel with the end of the rod facing about 45 degrees away from where the worm lands in the water, reel with your thumb of your non-reeling hand holding the line out some so you can feel the hit. Then when you do, point the rod at the direction you were reeling from to give the fish some slack, when you feel him take off with it set the hook by giving it a good jerk back toward you and start reeling.

Where I live I’ve always had good luck with the purple and black worms. That’s all I’ve ever really used for bass.

That's awful complicated.

I toss it out, let it sink, and twitch/reel. When they hit there is no giving them line, they just take it and it's on.

Color of the lure depends on the day. Try white, pink, purple, black.... Actually, go to the store and buy every color they have. Then you'll need to go online and order all the colors they didn't have in stock. Repeat across various brands.

You now are closing in on almost enough colors :flipoff2:

Those banjo frogs actually did pretty good. They're just spendy because they get tore to hell in a hurry.

Deweed the pond....
Get out in the middle and cast to shore?
But get them kids "CATCHING"

That's awful complicated.

I toss it out, let it sink, and twitch/reel. When they hit there is no giving them line, they just take it and it's on.

Color of the lure depends on the day. Try white, pink, purple, black.... Actually, go to the store and buy every color they have. Then you'll need to go online and order all the colors they didn't have in stock. Repeat across various brands.

You now are closing in on almost enough colors :flipoff2:

Those banjo frogs actually did pretty good. They're just spendy because they get tore to hell in a hurry.
Super simple in practice, I was just trying to be as descriptive as possible and I can see how it makes it overly complicated.

point being, throw a worm in a slowly reel it. I hope the OP gets the hang of it because bass fishing is fun when they’re biting, and drinking is fun when they’re not

Black was the color the other day. We caught a few dozen in the 4-6lb range, between the damn pike.
IMG_20210704_104501239.jpg

Top Back Refresh