What's new

Baked potatoes

smurfblue40

Baconologyst
Member Number
Loc
Sloughhouse Ca
The other day… my youngest asked (texted), “How do you guys do baked potatoes?”. (College student discovering life ☺️)

I scrub the spuds, wrap in foil, then bake at 350-375 for an hour (oven or bbq depending on weather).

Mrs does the same, but she pokes holes in the foil/spud (something about exploding spuds).

How do you bake your spud?

Wash it, poke it with a fork, pour some veggie or olive oil on, then sea salt and bake. No foil.

Yup but I use kosher with olive oil, bake at 350. Best damn way to make them and are good cold.

At home: wash em, rub with olive oil, course ground salt and pepper, bake in oven 350-400 (temp depends on what else is cooking), flip at 30 mins, squeeze with a paper towel to check doneness- done when it gives a little...
Camping/hunting/campfire: same as above but wrap in foil, place on edge of fire and rotate every 10-15 mins depending on how hot fire is.

No pokey, WTF that spud do to you?!?

Wash
poke with a fork
Rub with olive oil
Wrap in foil
Toss on the grill at whatever temp I’m running for about an hour. Or when I can squish the sides in.

Then the best part:
When they come off the grill, cut open and dump your butter and cheese inside, then wrap it back up until you are ready to eat.

nOOB question:
What's the logic with wrapping the potato with foil at home?

Or; wrapping the potato in general?

For camping/non-home cooking I always saw foil-wrapping as a protection for when I fumble one and it goes in the dirt/grass....:laughing::homer:

wife will wrap in foil and put in oven for XX time til done. she has used metal skewers thru them to help get heat into the middle to lower cooking times also. The skewers for kababs is what she uses

Wash it, poke it with a fork, pour some veggie or olive oil on, then sea salt and bake. No foil.
This exactly.

Also I absolutely HATE microwaved food, I would rather eat cold food, but you can nuke the potatoes for a few minutes while the oven is warming up to cut the cooking time significantly.

Foil wrapping is good for the grill or campfire where the butter leaking out will cause a flare up but the spuds go in my oven greased up and naked.

This exactly.

Also I absolutely HATE microwaved food, I would rather eat cold food, but you can nuke the potatoes for a few minutes while the oven is warming up to cut the cooking time significantly.

Foil wrapping is good for the grill or campfire where the butter leaking out will cause a flare up but the spuds go in my oven greased up and naked.

KINKY!

nOOB question:
What's the logic with wrapping the potato with foil at home?

Or; wrapping the potato in general?

For camping/non-home cooking I always saw foil-wrapping as a protection for when I fumble one and it goes in the dirt/grass....:laughing::homer:
You’re steaming it, rather than baking when you wrap it.

I’m with the others that spray/rub with EVOO, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper then place directly on the oven rack for an hour or so at 350-375. Put a piece of foil on the oven floor to catch the drips.

This but toss it in the nuke for 5 minutes or so first so it doesn’t take a damn hour in the oven because I don’t have time to wait a damn hour to eat a potato.

You’re steaming it, rather than baking when you wrap it.

I’m with the others that spray/rub with EVOO, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper then place directly on the oven rack for an hour or so at 350-375. Put a piece of foil on the oven floor to catch the drips.
Ah; Ok.:beer:

Then the best part:
When they come off the grill, cut open and dump your butter and cheese inside, then wrap it back up until you are ready to eat.
I cheese mine also, if I have a lemon handy I’ll throw some lemon juice in. Yum!

Wash, grease up with Crisco, 350 for an hour or so, bake at least 6 at a time. Fry up the leftovers, best is to slice into chips and deep fry.

Just read an article that said to cut into the top 1/4" deep through the middle, both the long and short way, before baking, something about baking off more moisture making the innards better. Might try it one day.

For sweet potatoes.. wrap them in foil and stick in the oven @ 300-325 degrees until they're mushy soft (1-2 hours, but just poke em with your finger and you'll know). Take them out, peel the skins off and stir them up. Makes for a super easy side-dish/meal-prep.

Doesn't need any butter/milk/salt because the slow cooking process caramelizes all of the natural sugars (but adding shit wouldn't hurt).

Pro tip:

When you have leftover baked ‘taders, cut them long ways in half and scoop out the insides. Take that and mix it with insert meat left over from the bbq here, butter, cheese and/or whatever else you want. Scoop it back into the ‘tader halves, top with cheese and toss it into a 350* oven until it’s all warmed back up and noms. :grinpimp:

rub tater in bacon grease and salt, wrap with foil, bake, if i feel like the extra work, pull out at last 15 min, pull foil and raise temp to crisp up the skin.

wash, wrap in foil, have aluminum nails that get pushed in to help cook the center quicker, then in the crock pot if just a few, when we do a bunch for baked potato soup, we do them in one of the electric roasters.

did twice baked the other day and finished them in the air fryer to melt the cheese and get a good crust over the mashed

wash, wrap in foil, have aluminum nails that get pushed in to help cook the center quicker, then in the crock pot if just a few, when we do a bunch for baked potato soup, we do them in one of the electric roasters.

did twice baked the other day and finished them in the air fryer to melt the cheese and get a good crust over the mashed
very nice idea.. stealing this for sure..

Wash
Poke with fork
Rub with olive oil and cover generously with sea salt and pepper
Bake on a foil lined pan at 425 for an hour or a little more if the potatoes are really big

Wash
Poke with fork
Rub with olive oil and cover generously with sea salt and pepper
Bake on a foil lined pan at 425 for an hour or a little more if the potatoes are really big
I get the putting oil on them when baking but why salt and pepper the outside unless you plan to eat the skin? i wouldn't think the seasoning would penetrate the skin?

^^^ NO good irishman tosses the skins:smokin:

+1 on microwave
Keep turning em as ya cook.
I also do this for home fries , bake off like you are par boiling something, fry to crispy goodness quick n easy!

Top Back Refresh