What's new

Axle Shafts - Spline Pressure Angle

So we went off on a bit of a tangent in the front 9" thread, but I don't want to derail that any further and still have a few more questions. Let's put together a complete list of the currently known spline pressure angles. I'll update this first post as we get more information, just to create as much of a comprehensive database as possible.

Note - These are only to the best of our cumulative knowledge, there's always the possibility some data points are wrong. Help us correct things if you discover otherwise.

Dana
16 spline - Square splines (Early dana 60)
19 spline - Square splines? (Early dana 44 stub shafts)
23 spline - Square splines (Early dana 70?)
27 spline - 30 degree? (Dana 35, or dana 30 stub shafts)
30 spline - 30 degree (Dana 44 front and rear at the carrier, Dana 50 carrier, stock Dana 60 stub shafts pre-2005)
32 spline - 30° (JK Rubicon rear, and JK front outer 30/44 stub shafts)
35 spline - 30 degree (Dana 60 carriers, stock 05+ stub shafts, and aftermarket upgrade stub shafts for all previous generations)
37 spline - 45 degree? (Dana 80 carriers)

Ford
28 spline - 45° (Small ford 8"/9" axles)
31 spline - 45° degree? (Ford 8.8", larger 9" axles)
33 spline - 45° (Ford 9" upgrade axles)
35 spline Ford 9" - 30 degree (Most 35 spline ford 9" lockers accept dana style 35 spline shafts with 30 degree pressure angles)
35 spline Ford 10.25"/10.5" - 45 degree (Sterling axles under 80-90's one ton and Super Duty trucks

Mark Williams 9"
35 spline - 45 degree (Mark Williams specialty aftermarket 9" components)

GM
28 spline - 45° (10 bolt)
30 spline (small) - 45° (10 and 12 bolt)
30 spline (large) 37.5 degree - YES - (14 bolt, nearly 1.5" shafts)

Toyota
30 spline - 45° (Standard minitruck stuff
-What do the 9.5" Land Cruiser diffs run? - Same as 30 spline mini-truck
36 spline - 45 degree (Tundra 10.5" axles)

Anything else you have to add, feel free and i'll update this post. I'll probably come back and add the known diameters as well for additional information

And just for my curiosity, I'd be tempted to also compare pinion splines, and transfer case splines

Updates in red.

Thanks for chiming in Tim, huge chunk of solid info to add to the original post. Are there any axle shafts/spline counts I missed that you think might be worth noting?

A buddy was just on the phone to MSC a week or so ago ordering cutters to make splines 37.5° and another one from a list of like 4 or 5.

Thanks for chiming in Tim, huge chunk of solid info to add to the original post. Are there any axle shafts/spline counts I missed that you think might be worth noting?

That's really the most common stuff out there that people would use, but we really should just start adding virtually everything and anything that's out there in the offroad or high performance market just for the info.

I've got some dumb ideas, does anyone know if Ford 31 spline axles have a compatible spline/diameter with 31 spline transmission/transfer case outputs?

I have the parts to check, but I am hoping to get an answer without having to take things apart :homer:

I've got some dumb ideas, does anyone know if Ford 31 spline axles have a compatible spline/diameter with 31 spline transmission/transfer case outputs?

I have the parts to check, but I am hoping to get an answer without having to take things apart :homer:

See I have no idea what you're planning, but strange questions like that are worth having answers to IMO :laughing:. If we have enough cumulative knowledge on input and output shaft splines, I would absolutely add a powertrain section to the original post.

21, 23, 27, 31, 32 spline inputs, along with 27 and 32 spline outputs. Along with clarification between stationary yokes and slip yokes, as I know 32 spline slip yoke outputs have a different pressure angle than 32 spline fixed outputs.

Edit - may as well add pinion splines to the list too :grinpimp:

See I have no idea what you're planning, but strange questions like that are worth having answers to IMO :laughing:. If we have enough cumulative knowledge on input and output shaft splines, I would absolutely add a powertrain section to the original post.

21, 23, 27, 31, 32 spline inputs, along with 27 and 32 spline outputs. Along with clarification between stationary yokes and slip yokes, as I know 32 spline slip yoke outputs have a different pressure angle than 32 spline fixed outputs.

He's trying to put a transmission slip yoke inside of his tbb axle.

Not my tech but I was re-reading this thread the other day and this maybe seems relevant.

Regarding pinion yokes.
D30, D44, D50, D300 all use the same spline. Pick a 1310 yoke from any of them. Viola.
Post in thread 'Lets hit the dumbfuck sauce and build a stupid front axle( Shaved narrowed Dana 50)'
Lets hit the dumbfuck sauce and build a stupid front axle( Shaved narrowed Dana 50)

I tried that years ago because I had an 8.8 shaft and 31spl input just sitting around. IIRC the diameters and angles are wrong enough it didn't even fit together.

I didn't try side-gear onto transmission. I figure that would be hodog down hallway.

He's trying to put a transmission slip yoke inside of his tbb axle.

I tried that years ago because I had an 8.8 shaft and 31spl input just sitting around. IIRC the diameters and angles are wrong enough it didn't even fit together.

I didn't try side-gear onto transmission. I figure that would be hodog down hallway.

M92PV4U is correct. The intermediate passenger shaft on Dana 35/44/50 TTBs is 31 spline. After my post yesterday, I found this post on Race-Dezert.com:
The inner inner on the two piece side is the challenge. Nobody wants to make it the way Dana originally did and NOS is all gone. It is fairly easy to do however if you just have the inner inner made without the large diameter seal surface. the shaft ends up looking like an outer stub shaft. You need to use a cut spline blank so you can machine the bearing surface to the right OD. then machine a shrink to fit spacer that the seal rides on. put the two together and you have the inner inner.

The slip shaft female side can be made from a trans slip yoke with a 1350 joint.

Talk to Branik Motorsports. Andy Stone and I have been discussing just this thing. You will probably need to send him the old pieces and it won't be as cheap as off the shelf stuff but the initial numbers we have been talking about are not outrageous. Oh and you can even go to 35 spline if you want to put in an ARB locker with the 35 spline side gear kit.

EDIT - this all works with the early D50 that has the 3 bolt shaft retainer on the side of the diff. I don't know about the later non 3 bolt versions

Maybe the TTB 31 spline is the same as a transmission/transfer case and different from the typical Ford 31 spline axle shaft profile :confused:

M92PV4U is correct. The intermediate passenger shaft on Dana 35/44/50 TTBs is 31 spline. After my post yesterday, I found this post on Race-Dezert.com:

Maybe the TTB 31 spline is the same as a transmission/transfer case and different from the typical Ford 31 spline axle shaft profile :confused:
How long is a D44 TTB passenger shaft?

I'll dig through my pile of shafts, find one and see if it slips nicely into whatever Ford 31spl trans/transfer case stuff I come across first.

It absolutly would not surprise me if they just used that spline because that spline is already spec'd for slipping under load (because slip yokes) and it would have been able to use a lot of existing tooling and QC tooling.

Anyone know details about the splines on Dodge 33 spline unit bearing hubs?

I'm curious if they're cut on the same pressure angle as the common stuff? Meaning, someone who can cut 27 / 30 / 35 on a 30* angle can easily just do a 33 instead?

Basically I'm being lazy and not calling to ask Branik or Dutchman, wondering if a Dodge 33 stub spline could be done.

Yukon already makes a 4340 dodge 33 spline stub.

Top Back Refresh