What's new

Auxiliary fuel tank?

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Anyone running an auxiliary fuel tank in their truck? Thinking of adding a 30g tank in the front of the bed under my toolbox. Mostly just so I don't have to stop as much on long trips and can be a little more choosey about where I stop.

Factory aux tank. I like being able to rum until it shuts off on one tank before switching. Makes it easy to figure fuel mileage when it's about the same point every time.

Seems like easiest way would be to snag junk yard wiring parts, but I don't know why truck you are using or what you have for pumps

sorry, 2015 Ram Cummins, CCSB 4wd. I know the Titan replacement tank would be best but damn they are $$

I've used both set ups at work, and my 97 kinda has all 3 mentioned :laughing:. The oversized factory replacement is nice because it doesn't take up bed space, but ya, they have gotten expensive.

I have a 100g transfer tank in my truck and they're sweet because you can fill other trucks, equipment, fuel cans, ect. I don't have it plumbed into my factory fuel system, but I could easily off the 1/4" npt drain.

On the other hand, it's kinda large and will be a pain if I want to put a cab over or whatever in. A thin tank that went right up against the cab would be perfect for me. But I can see how you want to utilize the space under the tool box.

I've used both set ups at work, and my 97 kinda has all 3 mentioned :laughing:. The oversized factory replacement is nice because it doesn't take up bed space, but ya, they have gotten expensive.

I have a 100g transfer tank in my truck and they're sweet because you can fill other trucks, equipment, fuel cans, ect. I don't have it plumbed into my factory fuel system, but I could easily off the 1/4" npt drain.

On the other hand, it's kinda large and will be a pain if I want to put a cab over or whatever in. A thin tank that went right up against the cab would be perfect for me. But I can see how you want to utilize the space under the tool box.
I have a short bed and a chest type box. I don't think I can fit a tank between the box and the bulkhead and still be able to have room for clearance for the gooseneck ball.

I think I am gonna pass on doing this. I need to stop and piss or stretch my legs long before I need fuel anyway..

I got a 50 gallon fiberglass boat fuel tank for my Bronco. It’s made by Muller or something like that. They make all kinds of shapes. It have a fuel pump and quick disconnect for it. I run the 40 G tank down and than just pump some down into a tee at the fill tube. 90 gallons at 12+ mpg gets me pretty far.

594BEE5A-1F19-4DFC-A6D1-CB2F0E909AAC.jpeg

I've got a new mega cab/6'4" box coming soon. Damn thing only comes with a 32gal tank.

I want to get a 50gal replacement tank and a 50 gal bed tank/toolbox combo for the bed.

Any difference between Titan or Transfer flow? They're both expensive, is there anything that makes one brand better than the other?

Add another fuel tank under the arse end, or other side. Wasting bed space for it is a waste.

I installed a TransferFlow replacement tank on my truck 15 years. I have long forgot the cost of that thing. I didn’t want to loose any bed space or have anything complicated to use. Just fill up like normal and roll.

I've got a new mega cab/6'4" box coming soon. Damn thing only comes with a 32gal tank.

I want to get a 50gal replacement tank and a 50 gal bed tank/toolbox combo for the bed.

Any difference between Titan or Transfer flow? They're both expensive, is there anything that makes one brand better than the other?

I've been to the transfer flow shop and can confirm it's real made in USA stuff.

Isn't titan plastic?

Reactions: PAE
Don't most newer trucks have large tanks?

My 08 Dodge has a 50 something gallon tank.

I've been to the transfer flow shop and can confirm it's real made in USA stuff.

Isn't titan plastic?

I thought both companies tanks to replace the factory ones were plastic.

The '22 Ram mega cab I ordered only comes with a 32gal tank. I believe the trucks that come with the long bed have the option for a 50 gal tank. I didn't have the option.

The '22 Ram mega cab I ordered only comes with a 32gal tank. I believe the trucks that come with the long bed have the option for a 50 gal tank. I didn't have the option.

Transfer flow is steel

50 Gallon RAM Cab Chassis Midship Replacement Fuel Tank - 84" CA

Titan is hdpe

2013-2022 Dodge RAM Crew Cab, Short Bed (7030113)

Unless I was using the truck offroad a lot, which obviously I doubt you spent $80k to rock crawl a dually :laughing: I think I'd lean towards hdpe. Although my 97 has a transfer flow that I'm guessing was put in when it was new and it has no issues.

When I went on the Transfer Flow site, they don't list a replacement that fits in the stock location for my truck. I selected my truck with the Transfer flow tank you linked to and it says it doesn't fit.

I guess they assume that a cab chassis will be getting a flatbed and not a regular truck bed?

Ya, I really don't care if the tank is plastic. Hell, the stock one is plastic. Now for an aux tank in the bed, I want metal.

This Titan says it fits my truck:

I have a TransferFlow 50g aux tank in my 01 SuperDuty CCLB V10. It was already installed when I bought the trunk in '15. It sits at the front of the bed and does not stick up above the sides, so it is covered when I roll the tonneau cover.
The factory Ford tank is 38 gallon. It's nice have 88g on board when I get 7MPG.

I put a switch on mine so I can...1) run in normal mode where the aux tank will automatically pump into the main tank, when the main tank gets to a certain level, 2) pump from the aux tank into the main tank when I want to (it runs the transfer pump all the time), 3) shut the aux tank pump off so it never pumps.

One issue I have ran into when I have it shut off to not auto transfer is it will sense the fuel level is not going up in the main tank when it "thinks" it is running the transfer pump, even though there is fuel in the aux tank (the aux tank has its own fuel level sender). When it does that, sometimes the display shuts off because of a "no fuel flow" error. When I shut the truck off and restart it, the display comes back on when the unit resets and works until it does it again (it doesn't error out everytime it tries to transfer when I have the pump shut off). I need to put a switch in the power wire to the unit so I can "reset" it while driving down the road and not have to shut the truck off.
I have also had to replace the aux tank sender unit (it was inop when I bought the truck). TransferFlow wants some ridiculous amount for a replacement sending unit. I looked on amazon and found one that matched the ohms for like $20. Works great.
Not sure what options there are for Dodges, but for Fords you can buy a fuel tank from a full size Bronco I believe it is and it will mount, with a little work, in the spare tire location under the rear of the bed. Don't recall the size on those tanks. Been a few years since I looked into it.

4.10 gears and 32 gallons is gonna suck (coming from ford guy with 4.10 gears)

Not sure what options there are for Dodges, but for Fords you can buy a fuel tank from a full size Bronco I believe it is and it will mount, with a little work, in the spare tire location under the rear of the bed. Don't recall the size on those tanks. Been a few years since I looked into it.
They're 30ish gallons. Dodge and Ford had similar frame rail spacing on pickups since the 70's, just not sure up to what point - if they changed.

My tow rig has an L shape tank in the bed, usually have 30 or 40 gal of diesel in it. Craigslist find for a couple hundo, which saves me from doing the plastic can rodeo. Also easier to fuel up tractors and stuff. It is a great sense of comfort when towing a long trailer that I dont have to figure out a tight fuel station if I dont want to. It does obscure my view of the goose ball when hooking up, so I need to do some sort of camera eventually.

I have a short bed and a chest type box. I don't think I can fit a tank between the box and the bulkhead and still be able to have room for clearance for the gooseneck ball.

I think I am gonna pass on doing this. I need to stop and piss or stretch my legs long before I need fuel anyway..

I have an L-shaped 43 gallon tank plus chest style toolbox in our short bed 12 F250 with the 6.7. Picked up the tank/box combo with truck fill kit and small electric pump (pumps 7 gallons in 10 minutes) all from Tractor Supply. It’s short enough to fit under my flip up bed cover and greatly increased miles covered when towing over the tiny 26 gallon factory tank.

For newer (2011 plus) short bed crew cab trucks, most have 26-34 gallon factory tanks since the manufactures also had to shove the DEF tank somewhere (unless you are GM).

Slight derail, has anyone used transfer tanks with gas? I usually just bring 4 gas jugs with me on long trips but that is obviously annoying.

Won't be using it as gravity-feed but having it's own dedicated electric fuel pump on a switch in the cab. Maybe a hand pump like the diesel tanks use.

How do I not burn my truck to the ground?

Slight derail, has anyone used transfer tanks with gas? I usually just bring 4 gas jugs with me on long trips but that is obviously annoying.

Won't be using it as gravity-feed but having it's own dedicated electric fuel pump on a switch in the cab. Maybe a hand pump like the diesel tanks use.

How do I not burn my truck to the ground?

I haven't personally, but I've seen trucks set up with a split L tank, gas on one side and diesel on the other.

The only thing that I'd be a little weary off is expansion. The caps are supposed to vent, but they don't do a great job at it. No idea if you would want it sealed or fully vented either.

Just get a zylstra box tank combo. Since you have a chick bed and not a proper 8ft man bed. :flipoff2:

I run a 105gal L tank and a big weather guard box and still have plenty of room for the goosenecks and 5er.

I haven't personally, but I've seen trucks set up with a split L tank, gas on one side and diesel on the other.

The only thing that I'd be a little weary off is expansion. The caps are supposed to vent, but they don't do a great job at it. No idea if you would want it sealed or fully vented either.
thanks, I didn't consider the venting issue. I'll email the guy that sells him and see what he says

Agreed on the caps not venting great. Thanks to a black tank and Tennessee heat/humidity, when there is fuel in the 2nd tank, I crack the cap open to vent off pressure, close the cap for the drive, and crack it back open when parked. Still hisses like a snake when opening for refills.

thanks, I didn't consider the venting issue. I'll email the guy that sells him and see what he says

Fwiw, this is with the generic chrome dome shaped cap that all the transfer tanks use. I'm sure there are better options.

Agreed on the caps not venting great. Thanks to a black tank and Tennessee heat/humidity, when there is fuel in the 2nd tank, I crack the cap open to vent off pressure, close the cap for the drive, and crack it back open when parked. Still hisses like a snake when opening for refills.

My buddy made a vent out of a pipe coupler that he tapped for a 1/4" push lock fitting, then ran ~3" of line down between the cab and bed.

With gas, I'm not sure you'd want it always venting, I mean vehicles stock tanks don't. I would just be aware of the pressure when opening the cap as I feel like gas would be more likely to spray. I guess you could add a small valve to the vent I mentioned.

Fwiw, this is with the generic chrome dome shaped cap that all the transfer tanks use. I'm sure there are better options.

My buddy made a vent out of a pipe coupler that he tapped for a 1/4" push lock fitting, then ran ~3" of line down between the cab and bed.

With gas, I'm not sure you'd want it always venting, I mean vehicles stock tanks don't. I would just be aware of the pressure when opening the cap as I feel like gas would be more likely to spray. I guess you could add a small valve to the vent I mentioned.
Good to know on the DIY vent and may borrow that idea.

Top Back Refresh