What's new

Automotive AC Tech's- I need help!!

1981K20

Up North
Member Number
Loc
North of MT but south of AK
Sick of dealing with 'technicians' that have zero clue about troubleshooting AC and was hoping the vast knowledge of IBB techs might help out lol

Spent more than I'd like to admit on my AC in a 2001 ram diesel.. new compressor, evaporator, truck radiator and AC recharge within the last 2 years. AC is great when moving and shortly after start up but slowly fades unless moving at highway speeds. At a stop I have about 3-5 mins before the AC fades rapidly and the truck temp increases, but won't (or hasn't yet) overheat.

Any ideas????

Sounds like an airflow issue. I agree with above, check your fan clutch. It can be enough flow to keep engine cool but not enough airflow over condenser to have AC work properly.

Did you lose any of the shrouding around the fan or between the condenser and radiator?

Did you flush the condenser real good after the compressor change? Did the compressor scatter? Black death? Pull a good vacuum? Air/moisture in the system will drop it's efficiency drastically.

Did you flush the condenser real good after the compressor change? Did the compressor scatter? Black death? Pull a good vacuum? Air/moisture in the system will drop it's efficiency drastically.

I had a long standing local shop do the replacement but I should've mentioned that the condenser was changed when the compressor was replaced as said shop had highly recommended to replace it. This truck tows my shit south twice a year and I do not cheap out on it.

I'm going to replace the clutch fan this weekend with an OEM one. Thanks to the replies I googled some troubleshooting and it appears fucked. Not sure why AC tech near my work didn't catch on to that but I'm glad I declined his offer to 'dig deeper into the issue'

Thanks again for the replies 🍺

I had a long standing local shop do the replacement but I should've mentioned that the condenser was changed when the compressor was replaced as said shop had highly recommended to replace it. This truck tows my shit south twice a year and I do not cheap out on it.

I'm going to replace the clutch fan this weekend with an OEM one. Thanks to the replies I googled some troubleshooting and it appears fucked. Not sure why AC tech near my work didn't catch on to that but I'm glad I declined his offer to 'dig deeper into the issue'

Thanks again for the replies 🍺
this get fixed?

fan clutch the issue?

How dirty is your radiator / intercooler?

The stupid stock ccv on the 99-02 24v is too short and dumps the vapor in the fan area and dirt builds up over time as a result of oil all over the radiator/intercooler and restricts flow.

IMG_7581.JPG

This... and don't buy a cheap one, they suck. Bite the bullet and get an OEM replacement. Buy once, cry once, and your A/C will work again.
My experience has been the opposite. The cheap ones don't disengage as readily.

My experience has been the opposite. The cheap ones don't disengage as readily.
Been down that road, it's neat to be cruising at freeway speeds and using 20hp to spin a fan unnecessarily.

You pay for the proper fan clutch because you want it to disengage under the right conditions.

Top Back Refresh