What's new

Atlas /dana 300 questions

Cryptictoy

Member Number
What is the difference in the mounting surface ? I've looked at multiple threads on the old place ,some pictures are gone and some dead end. Took a pic of the measurements that I need off an atlas. What I'm wanting to do is put the 300 in my 2010 tacoma w/ aisin a750 trans
20210127_115023.jpg
using this adapt
https://www.advanceadapters.com/pro...nsmission-to-atlas-transfer-case-adapter-kit/

I have called twice and 1st guy say it would work but the shift rails would hit the trans, which won't be a problem cause I made a flip kit and will use cables going out the back. 2nd guy I talked says it won't , I asked what was actually different holes redrilled? In a snippy voice the bearing retainers different, and the spud shaft would work. Wouldn't give me dimensions either. From looking at ton's of pics they look real close if not the same . And to add more to the confusion the nwf black box i is listed for atlas 2 , Dan 20 and 300. If it is just the retainer seems like the adapter could be opened up or if smaller a ring could be made just like for hub centric wheels. Another thing is if you include the adapter thickness to the d-shaft flange the overall length is within an 1/8" , the center to center on the output so close can't really different reading on the tape either compared to the original.

I have a spare bearing retainer at home I’ll try and get demensuins tonight. I know on the nv4500 the “adapter” is a turned down bearing retainer. Setting reminder now.

Deminsions

1: 4.895”
2: 3.115”
3: 1.500” (hard to get perfect since it’s not in a case)
4: no idea. The input I have isn’t a factory 23 spline input. Thought it was. The whole t-case can be moved out with a clocking ring though.

20210127_230526.jpg
Deminsions

1: 4.895”
2: 3.115”
3: 1.500” (hard to get perfect since it’s not in a case)
4: no idea. The input I have isn’t a factory 23 spline input. Thought it was. The whole t-case can be moved out with a clocking ring though.

Just to confirm are these off atlas?

pic of original pic with what I just measured off my 300 I added #5 because that dimension is close to your #3 . And some where I read something about sealed vs non sealed bearing and having the retainer machined . The discrepancy in #5 to #3 would be getting rid of the actual oil seal . 20210127_131759.jpg this pic shows the tappered part . And there is a clock ring on there too , so when AA guy mentioned bearing retainer I had not given any thought about the front output and the mating up of adapter plate, this area could be the issue? If a clock ring is used some milling on the retainer would work (the tail/shifter mount will be getting trimmed)

I have both on the bench side by side. I have taken measurements, with Performance Tool cheap calipers, so these measurements are educated guesses.

photo44865.jpg

photo44866.jpg

photo44867.jpg

photo44868.jpg

Measurement 2 is not really applicable since the bearing and seal retainer is different on the atlas.

photo44869.jpg

I see no reason for it not to work, but also buy an atlas and be done.

I see no reason for it not to work, but also buy an atlas and be done.
The 300 should be fine ,
20210128_084458.jpg
20210128_084541.jpg
truck will still be kinda a daily driver. Still gathering parts , I do have 08 super duty axles and some goodies for them. Going to stick with radius arm style. The 300 will give front drive to get the front around with boat, 4dr long bed. Year and half from now the wife and I plan on leaving here in NY and do some legit over landing heading west for a month or more.
Thanks those were just what I needed. So with clocking ring on there is -.13ish difference in dimension you gave . I marked the front output cover and in the counter sunk hole . If the out put cover was in the way of the adapter, just mill it down and a counter sunk bolt for that spot. I suppose the clocking ring could be milled down too to get the exact dimension. I think it will work too, Doesn't seem like there should be an issue running a clock ring against the adapter either.

Few pics of some mock up shifter cover I cut from 16ga on the table, waiting for dom tube for rails . Going to be able to use the standard rail/shaft seals. They are facing rearward and going to be cable.
20210128_085915.jpg
20210128_085850.jpg

20210128_085831.jpg

Top Back Refresh