What's new

Are the railroads being sabotaged causing derailments?

I mean, the Biden administration basically bent railway workers over after he claimed he'd be the most pro-labor POTUS in history on the campaign stump. Regardless of how anyone might feel about unions, etc. it's understandable why some of them would be REALLY fucking pissed off.

I mean, the Biden administration basically bent railway workers over after he claimed he'd be the most pro-labor POTUS in history on the campaign stump. Regardless of how anyone might feel about unions, etc. it's understandable why some of them would be REALLY fucking pissed off.
Hadn't thought of that. My wife and I have been talking about all these de-railment. I think she told me that we're up to seven of them now, but I could be wrong.

You're next to a railway? We've got one that would block our way out to highway 60, but lots of non-crossing routes around.
I remember that.

Have a single lane between me and the tracks.

Without measuring they're less than a 100' away.

I remember that.

Have a single lane between me and the tracks.

Without measuring they're less than a 100' away.
That's close. In Wooldridge, the tracks were two block away. We got used to it. Now that downtown has burned to the ground, there's nothing left to break up the noise.

I love a good conspiracy probably even more than the next guy… But this one… I think I’m going to say aging infrastructure and general incompetence

This.

The amount of incompetence in railway is fucking amazing. I'm honestly surprised shit like this doesn't happen far more often.

That said, there's always been people that'll try and damage/sabotage trains for one reason or another. I remember a decade or so back, the big concern was fish hooks and spikes being hidden on the backside of ladders and handholds - seemed like everywhere with a rail dock or siding had warnings posted up about it.

I love a good conspiracy probably even more than the next guy… But this one… I think I’m going to say aging infrastructure and general incompetence
Ding ding ding, we have a winner here folks. In the not so distant past I worked for the RR, the average person wouldn't believe how bad it is, like most anything nothing gets fixed until it breaks. The passenger rails are in better shape than freight but not by leaps and bounds. Derails are common and not made public unless it happens where John Q Public can see it.

This.

The amount of incompetence in railway is fucking amazing. I'm honestly surprised shit like this doesn't happen far more often.

That said, there's always been people that'll try and damage/sabotage trains for one reason or another. I remember a decade or so back, the big concern was fish hooks and spikes being hidden on the backside of ladders and handholds - seemed like everywhere with a rail dock or siding had warnings posted up about it.

Rails are so regulated they may as well be nationalized…

I am a long way from live tracks, but I am on a highway known for having a fuck load of stupid drivers on it :shaking:

There does seem to be a lot of derailments lately

Ding ding ding, we have a winner here folks. In the not so distant past I worked for the RR, the average person wouldn't believe how bad it is, like most anything nothing gets fixed until it breaks. The passenger rails are in better shape than freight but not by leaps and bounds. Derails are common and not made public unless it happens where John Q Public can see it.
We had a pretty big derailment a few years ago when the wooden bridge had enough. Nice concrete steel replacement put in but nothing else done with the other 30+ wooden bridges in the area.

There are 1704 derailments on average a year.

We average 90 derailments a month. Over 300 a year involved caustic chemicals.

What are they not wanting us to know, right now? Derailments are normal, so why are these getting so much coverage? :stirthepot:

Burn it off.
Okay, let me grab it...

me.jpg

There was video of the Ohio train like 30 miles before the derailment with the wheels on one of the cars glowing red and shooting sparks. Seems likely an issue with a car and not the tracks....at least for this one.

I'd buy that more than the wacko theories. Not saying it's impossible, but show me some proof instead of conjecture.

Top Back Refresh