What's new

Architectural Engineers step on in.

billdacat

No road...no problem.
Member Number
Loc
Utah or bust!
What is wrong with these porch columns? The capital and column are tied together with two 1/4” screws and the capital is secured to the beam with another pair of 1/4” screws. The base is what concerns me the most. The columns are floating and suspended by the anchor hardware. The capitals are checking like crazy (falling apart) and need to go.
I would appreciate any input on what is technically wrong with this install.
porch1.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	porch1.jpg Views:	21 Size:	168.6 KB ID:	140543

porch2.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	porch2.jpg Views:	21 Size:	203.0 KB ID:	140544

I have replaced all the columns on the back porch with rough cut 6X6 and Simpson Strong Tie bases and hardware. Done away with the capitals but have heavy 6x6 decorative angle braces. I want to basically do the same thing to the front porch, but have a pesky HOA to deal with.

Last edited:
I'm neither of those things, but it looks like the way the columns are suspended on the hardware is the root of your issues. Since it can assumedly rotate a little on that point the probably less than stellar beam to capital and capital to column connection points are getting some side loading outward where they're weakest.

I think if the column was better supported at the base or was directly connected to the beam it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but that combination plus age isn't doing it any favors.

Click image for larger version Name:	image_245191.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	140572

Last edited:
Thanks.... I see it now! The fucking columns are checking and rotating/ripping the capitals appart. Note the one columns in the background.

There is most likely a central pad\anchorage under the post...
op
Im just a wood butcher, but looks like
a, shitty wood,
b, possible flex (left to right) and up\dn, on the top girder.
a half lap woulda done WONDERS
The longitudinal check says twisting as stated above.

Edit
hoa = suck brought!

​​​

Last edited:
the base hardware is correct, it is supported off the slab , so water does not rot the bases.
the problem looks to be the capitals.

I', going to go with nothing is wrong with the columns, they're wood doing what wood does.

I'd just replace it with some tube steal and make some similar style Capitol things, paint it brown, and not talk to the hoa

I'd just replace it with some tube steal and make some similar style Capitol things, paint it brown, and not talk to the hoa

Steel would have been the cats meow. Each 12' 6x6 rough sawn cost about $90. Simpson hardware isn't cheap; some serious coin spent on that stuff. Tube steel and a wood covering would have cut into my pool budget. If I were ever to build a house; it would be steel for any porch columns. :smokin:

Are those things decorative or load bearing?

If they're floating, maybe the pad settled a bit and the roof is still nice and strong. If they're not load bearing get rid of them, or make a mount that allows them to float (like drill a hole in the middle of the bottom of the post and stick it on a steel pipe sticking straight up, it'll allow up/down movement but not side to side. It'll also allow twist).

I want to like Utah, but they are the refuge of the Romneys after they fled Michigan in fear for their necks, and Massachusetts in fear for their bank account.

Utahians (???) what are you doing supporting the Romneys? These people ain't you.

I want to like Utah, but they are the refuge of the Romneys after they fled Michigan in fear for their necks, and Massachusetts in fear for their bank account.

Utahians (???) what are you doing supporting the Romneys? These people ain't you.

Fuck me, did your meds wear off? Serious question

Top Back Refresh