What's new

Ar 308 build questions

4x4orbust

Member Number
I have a hankering to build myself an ar in 308. I had another thread about hunting deer with a .223/5.56 and basically came to the conclusion I want an ar in 308 instead.

my question; If you were to buy an 80% lower, which one would you get? I’m looking for dpms, (I think that’s more universal?). If it’s in stock somewhere that would be a plus. I like the American made tactical 80% so far.

I want it to be a tack driver at 100-200 yards. What upper and barrel would you get? This is the part I haven’t done much research on yet. I was thinking 20” barrel but not sure on the twist rate. I am not against an assembled upper

edit: I’d like to keep the build around the $1000 mark if possible. I have access to a 5d jig for the 80% lower.

Last edited:
I know very little about .308 AR’s, but if it’s just for short range deer hunting there are plenty of AR-15 caliber options that are better than .223.

Plan on an adjustable gas block, some buffer testing, and a good muzzle brake. An improperly tuned ar10 kicks like a fucking mule. I bought a first gen psa10 .308 off of a buddy who decided he didnt want it. I thought he was just being a bitch. I took it to the range fired three shots and was like nope. Adj block, buffer swap and a muzzl3 brake and its a sweet shooter now. Even nicer when I throw on the 6.5cm upper.

Unless you are completely against polymer lowers, Tennessee Arms has some 80% and blems for lowers in the30-50 dollar range. I have used probably 15 of those to help friends build hunting rifles with. I have run almost exclusively Aero M5 series uppers in 18 or 20. As far as buffers, get a rod of.055 tungsten and a diamond wheel and you can cut replacement weights to tailor the weight to what you want. If you have any questions about the setups, let me know. They are a very successful deer and elk platform for me. My 11 year old daughter shoots hers almost weekly without issue.

Reactions: IGT
If your max range is going to be 200yds, a 16" or 18 barrel is all you need. The extra couple fps a longer barrel will give you doesn't matter at 200yds.

Honestly I'd say get a 14.5" barrel with a pinned break and you could built a tack driver for 200yds. Less weight to hump around.

A lot of the newer generation 308 ARs are more compact then the standard DPMS patterned build parts are based from. But they are mainly proprietary, so you're buying off something off the rack. Savage seems to offer some pretty nice ARs for the money. MSR 10 Hunter: https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=22902

I almost done building (barrel nut is in the mail) an AR10 (.338 Federal) on a Tennessee Arms poly lower. (100% finished lower, not an 80%). it’s DPMS pattern, and tolerances were good out of the box. The TAC poly lower wasn’t my first choice, but it was free, and I ran one of their ar15 poly lowers (also free) for about 5 years with no issues.

16” barrel, mid-length, adjustable gas block, A2 stock, PSA blem upper, PSA upper and lower parts............nothing fancy. I think I’ll be into it (minus optic and mount) about $700.

Upon further research, 80% lowers are illegal where I live (up to 10 years jail time and $10k fine). So I’m buying a finished aero precision lower.

Has anyone used one, and what upper have you used? How was the fit?

im leaning more towards the 18” barrel now, seeing as how I can’t even find a place with more than 200 yards to shoot at.

I have an aero lower with a CMMG upper and the fit is just fine. An 18" barrel and an ACOG makes for a handy rifle.

If your max range is going to be 200yds, a 16" or 18 barrel is all you need. The extra couple fps a longer barrel will give you doesn't matter at 200yds.

Honestly I'd say get a 14.5" barrel with a pinned break and you could built a tack driver for 200yds. Less weight to hump around.

i would not personally go 14.5" but if you wanted to, i have an old 16" stainless Armalite barrel that had questionable threads from a previous owner. cut and thread to 14.5" and it would be GTG.

I have PSA .308 complete kit except for lower.

I forgot where I got 80% lower from but I'll check again.

Drill with jig turned out great.

One piece didn't fit because it wasn't PSA lower, got a different size and work like charm.

Top Back Refresh