What's new

Apparently Ram Jeep and Dodge are getting a straight 6 twin turbo

ToughBowtieTruck

Nothing like owning the same truck twice.
Member Number
Loc
Michigan

We finally have official information about the new turbocharged six-cylinder engine that should be coming soon to a Jeep, Ram, or Dodge near you. You may have heard this engine also referred to as the “Tornado” power plant. Stellantis news release shows the new 3.0-liter GMET6 HO engine on the official list, and it says this new engine started production on November 22, 2021.

Here is the info from the Stellantis press release.

The GMET6 codename stands for ‘Global Medium Engine Turbo 6’. We still don’t know much about this powerplant, but some patent applications and charts suggest it may be a straight-6 orientation gasoline-powered engine. Now, we have official confirmation that it will have a 3.0-liter displacement. We still don’t know how much power it may produce, but Stellantis adds the HO designation to this engine. This is most likely the “High Output” designation.

Here is some information that may point to the design of the Tornado engine. This shows a straight-six twin-turbo configuration.
(source: FCA patent)

2021-ram-inline6-ebooster-enginer-gas-turbo-1320x850.png

If this engine is slated for the likes of the Ram 1500, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wagoneer, Dodge Durango, and other vehicles – it may need to produce in the neighborhood of 400 horsepower and 500 lb-ft of torque. This is the current benchmark set by the 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6 EcoBoost from Ford.

The official release has information about other engines as well! There is mention of an upgraded 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 and a PHEV version of the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6. Yep, a plug-in hybrid version of the Pentastar.

Thanks to Dan Manson for bringing the latest report to our attention. Please stay tuned to TFLtruck.com for more developments.

Too bad it won't likely end up in the jeep platform.

Although at least you can get one with a v8 now.

For me that's a lot of "meh". German car weirdos and Japanese Import guys get excited about inline 6 cylinders but I don't know that the Dodge/Ram crowd are going to take to that as well as a V8.

For me that's a lot of "meh". German car weirdos and Japanese Import guys get excited about inline 6 cylinders but I don't know that the Dodge/Ram crowd are going to take to that as well as a V8.
because a straight 6 is the most perfect configuration ya knob.
the most bearings and the least vibration.

not that it matters, stellantis is gonna fuck this up anyway.

because a straight 6 is the most perfect configuration ya knob.
the most bearings and the least vibration.

not that it matters, stellantis is gonna fuck this up anyway.
Yep and no weird harmonics until like 7600-8k rpms.

why would that be a surprise?

it's pretty easy to get a reliable 400hp out of a 3L straight 6 with turbos attached.
it's not like the hemi was a pillar of fucking reliability.

It's not like the Ecoboost is capable of running an F350 in commercial service either.

Right cause a dodge has never had a popular turbo inline 6. Cough cough cummins cough.

They already buy some Renault/Fiat retarded love child failed abortion on a payment plan.

The (type of) powerplant with make absolutely zero impact on the customer base.

Right cause a dodge has never had a popular turbo inline 6. Cough cough cummins cough.
I'm going to just say this isn't a serious comment and move on.

They already buy some Renault/Fiat retarded love child failed abortion on a payment plan.

The (type of) powerplant with make absolutely zero impact on the customer base.
Which tells us all that you have no idea what you are talking about. Brand loyalty is one of the main reasons why people buy things that you don't understand. Destroying that identity is how you kill that loyalty.

Dodge's crack at a 2JZ but with twins? Block gonna be stupid stout and capable of 100psi all day?

Which tells us all that you have no idea what you are talking about. Brand loyalty is one of the main reasons why people buy things that you don't understand. Destroying that identity is how you kill that loyalty.

Ah, invaluable knowledge from a parts counter monkey.

Brand loyalty? To who? The French?

That's Parts Manager with over 25 years of experience in the business.

Oh my, the most useless asshole in the building! :flipoff2:

The frogwop cock is so far down your throat, you dont realize that people buy features, secondary to price. Dodge today is a far cry from 20 or even 40 years ago. Having a [james may voice] vee eight moter [/james may voice] means jack shit nothing on the showroom floor.

And you have your head too far up your ass to understand what is being said. Obviously I am not going to change your mind and I do not have the time or patience to educate you anyway.

You think a twin turbo six is going to drive away the customer base because it will somehow 'destroy' its identity. That ram customers have some sense of brand loyalty. All a laughable concept.
No brand loyalty here, but if I had a stroke and decided to buy a new truck, the Power Wagon would be first on the list. And a turbo 6 would knock it off of the list.

Top Back Refresh