What's new

Anyone regret doing a Cummins swap?

The wait to start light?
No. The battery light.

1687878384663.jpeg

Not sure if it matters but I grounded mine in a different spot.

Attachments

• 20171229_115430.jpg
    20171229_115430.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 18
I'd call the company that makes the little magic box and have them walk you thru it

Then ask them for specific instructions on how to bench test that at autozone, basically assuming you'll go in near closing time and push the night shift guy out of the way

Also, I'd absolutely buy a 2nd magic box for the glovebox. Might as well buy it now and test it

Also, regarding the regulator being new, and the alternator being new, new stands for Never Ever Worked:laughing:

I'd call the company that makes the little magic box and have them walk you thru it

I figured it out, just fried 2 boxes in the process :homer:

Then ask them for specific instructions on how to bench test that at autozone, basically assuming you'll go in near closing time and push the night shift guy out of the way

Your autozone has a night shift?

Ours has a broken alternator tester. We have a decent old school auto parts place, but they're Monday thru Saturday like 7-5

Also, I'd absolutely buy a 2nd magic box for the glovebox. Might as well buy it now and test it

so buy 4 total?
:lmao:

Also, regarding the regulator being new, and the alternator being new, new stands for Never Ever Worked:laughing:

I've seen a fair share of bad alternators and such out of the box. So I wasn't ruling it out. I've even had the parts monkey throw a brand new one on the charger, despite them wondering why.

For now, I ordered the PA performance 1 wire alternator. They have a bargain bin option that was $199, so cheaper than the vato zone alt and magic box. But from a reputable place.

I haven't 100% decided what the back up option is yet for breaking down in bfe. Maybe just scab together a stock dodge alt and external regulator.

How'd you fry them? It happens, yes, buy 4, can't live in the past man:lmao:

Anyways, I like factory dodge accessory package and magic box, with spare, for parts availability, notch the cross member for ac, get hoses custom made, but I think that boat has floated on your build

I haven't 100% decided what the back up option is yet for breaking down in bfe. Maybe just scab together a stock dodge alt and external regulator.

hOPES AND PRAYERS....AND THE STOCKER IN THE BACK WITH THE BLACK BOX. LOL....THAT HOW I PLAYED THE GAME.

it's 12v cummins with manual trans. tie up the fuel shut down solenoid and roll start it.

Do you carry a genny in your camper? pack a battery charger too if it don't have the 12v output.

See the LG/R wire goes through a 510 ohm resistor and is paralleled with the idiot light.
All that resistance will effect the output voltage because it is supposed to be the ground for the idiot light, not the power for the regulator.
2010-04-05_213816_Charging_system.png

Ok, I'm following you now.

So do you think the low voltage is normal for that circuit and the ford alternator regulator would trigger at a lower rpm or do I have an issue?

How'd you fry them? It happens, yes, buy 4, can't live in the past man:lmao:

Anyways, I like factory dodge accessory package and magic box, with spare, for parts availability, notch the cross member for ac, get hoses custom made, but I think that boat has floated on your build

Well, if you read the thread, you'd know :flipoff2:

Instructions said key on power to green wire from magic box, so I figured the other wire went to the other post. Nope, fried the thing. Didn't realize it till later when it charged for about 2 seconds until I touched the extra wire to the orange terminal, it made a pop noise and stopped charging :homer:

I get your logic on accessories, I'm still happy with the ac mount, made things simple and easy. Had I tried to keep the dodge ac compressor, the lower rad hose would have made dr suess proud, pretty sure it would have had to wrap around the outside of the frame :laughing:

it's 12v cummins with manual trans. tie up the fuel shut down solenoid and roll start it.

Do you carry a genny in your camper? pack a battery charger too if it don't have the 12v output.

Believe it or not, the 7.3 ran with a dead alternator until the head lights looked like the yellow and blue playschool flashlights from our childhood.

I don't have a genny, but I wouldn't mind getting one. A trickle charger and extension cord running down the side of the truck to get home would be hilarious :laughing:

I don't have a genny, but I wouldn't mind getting one. A trickle charger and extension cord running down the side of the truck to get home would be hilarious :laughing:
I’d think you’ll want more than a trickle charger, as with lights on at night likely will overwhelm it. Haha

My friend did this with their 1980’s F350 CCLB pulling a 5th wheel camper on their way back home from a moto race. Worked great lol.

See the LG/R wire goes through a 510 ohm resistor and is paralleled with the idiot light.
All that resistance will effect the output voltage because it is supposed to be the ground for the idiot light, not the power for the regulator.
2010-04-05_213816_Charging_system.png
nice diagram

shows quite clearly how to wire the ford regulator to the dodge alternator

I helped with exactly one cummins swap, I wired the truck. I used the factory first gen charging system but it was a 89.

I'll go back to glanced over this thread now :homer::laughing:.

Ya, I had a 90, so I'm familiar.

I could have just grabbed an external regulator from a 1st gen. But in the 6 months I owned that truck, I went through 2 of them. The 2nd let it over charge and frybthe battery. So I wasn't too enthusiastic about that option :laughing:

Heres the ford regulator setup on a dodge. hard to find info. but it works great.

Attachments

• ford regulator.jpg
    ford regulator.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 27
Top Back Refresh