What's new

Anyone know of a WiFi Router that supports POE on the WAN interface?

blakes

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Storm Mountain CO
I get my home internet from a small ISP with an Ubiquity Power Beam 5AC which requires a POE injector.

I'd like to get a WiFi Router that supports POE on the WAN interface. I see a few WiFi routers out there that support POE, but they are only on the LAN switch ports.

Only way I can think that you could do this is get a POE switch and put two ports on a separate vlan for the WAN interface, assuming WAN is typical DHCP enabled whatever from the ISP.

I've never seen a POE powered WAN port before on any router or appliance.

Why not just buy an injector and put it in-line?

That's what I'm doing now.

Looking to get a new router and it would be nice if the WAN interface (along with at least 2 LAN interfaces) had POE.

Only way I can think that you could do this is get a POE switch and put two ports on a separate vlan for the WAN interface, assuming WAN is typical DHCP enabled whatever from the ISP.

I've never seen a POE powered WAN port before on any router or appliance.

Ya, I'm a net eng and definitely know I might be able to get away with using the LAN interface, but I use OpenWRT on my home stuff and that's always a pain to switch it around.

Looking to get a new router and it would be nice if the WAN interface (along with at least 2 LAN interfaces) had POE.

Ya, I'm a net eng and definitely know I might be able to get away with using the LAN interface, but I use OpenWRT on my home stuff and that's always a pain to switch it around.

No no, I mean just use a switch instead of an injector...put the switch between the WAN port and the Power Beam thing. Like if I ever had this problem, I have a 16 port poe switch, I'd carve off two ports for the WAN side onto a separate VLAN and then I could get POE of the switch, and the rest of the switch is just my normal LAN side network infrastructure. Side bonus is gives you another point to monitor/restrict traffic before it hits your router.

The power beam needs 24v not the standard 48v. Ubiquiti’s dream machine (possibly only the pro model) should work with it.

The power beam needs 24v not the standard 48v. Ubiquiti’s dream machine (possibly only the pro model) should work with it.
yeah, I'm looking into that router and at a glance, it looks like it would work. thanks!

I'm trying to clean things up in the cabin because I have 3 POE injectors sitting there taking up space.

yeah, I'm looking into that router and at a glance, it looks like it would work. thanks!

I'm trying to clean things up in the cabin because I have 3 POE injectors sitting there taking up space.

I think the SE is the only UDM to have POE. I'm currently using the regular UDM and have a UDMP sitting here that I've been too lazy to set up. Neither has POE.

I think you'd be limiting yourself to a unicorn device for the sole purpose of getting rid of a single injector.

Are your POE devices on the LAN side 24v "passive" POE or "normal" 48v 802.3af/802.3at POE?

Your powerbeam 5AC is 24v passive POE, I don't think you are going to find any device that has both types of POE in it.

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter POE has 24v passive POE on all the ports but it doesn't have wifi built in and it doesn't do normal POE.

Are your POE devices on the LAN side 24v "passive" POE or "normal" 48v 802.3af/802.3at POE?

Your powerbeam 5AC is 24v passive POE, I don't think you are going to find any device that has both types of POE in it.

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter POE has 24v passive POE on all the ports but it doesn't have wifi built in and it doesn't do normal POE.
POE is not something I've dealt with much, even as net eng. I need to read up.

I know my other POE devices are 24v (or at least they work fine on 24v).

I'm thinking you are right...

You're not much of a net eng if you're asking about hardware used in your job...on irate :lmao:

And no, WAN ports are typically not POE

You're not much of a net eng if you're asking about hardware used in your job...on irate :lmao:

And no, WAN ports are typically not POE
LOL I do enterprise stuff (A LOT of F5 stuff). Can't say I've ever ONCE dealt with anything POE at work.

But ya, POE on the WAN interface is not typical. It's not even typical with consumer stuff, really.

I've been reading up about it. I like the way Ubiquity Networks is using Passive POE rather than Active. It seems 'they' find it more reliable in the field...

some of the edgerouters would passthrough passive poe, but again not wireless.
if you drop the wireless and just go to a POE powered access point or mesh setup it's not nearly as hard.
I have had an edgerouter to a centrally mounted AP for ever. I couldn't even tell you how old that thing is. They still update it though.

I'd go with the Unifi Express

If it doesn't have enough throw for you, put a couple AP's

And expand as needed.

Intro price is $150, each AP is $100. Solid setup with rock solid reliability.

Have to look through the datasheets, my ubiquiti switch supports POE+ and 24v passive at the port configuration level. It's just a toggle to turn the 24v passive on

POE switch, VLANs, and LAGs. :flipoff2:

I use a Ubiquiti switch plugged into my cable modem with a tagged port for the WAN, that goes through a LAG to my shop which has the router running on a VM. WAN is one VLAN, all the other LANs are tagged VLANs with various switchports enabled to said VLANs.

I'm kind of shocked you don't know this.

I think the SE is the only UDM to have POE. I'm currently using the regular UDM and have a UDMP sitting here that I've been too lazy to set up. Neither has POE.

I think you'd be limiting yourself to a unicorn device for the sole purpose of getting rid of a single injector.

The dream router also has 2x of the 4 ports being POE, 40w total. Sorry, don't know what the standard is they're using at the moment.

The dream router also has 2x of the 4 ports being POE, 40w total. Sorry, don't know what the standard is they're using at the moment.
I think those are pretty much unobtanium at the moment. I see people selling them for way over retail on FB.

I think those are pretty much unobtanium at the moment. I see people selling them for way over retail on FB.

Which is funny, I ended up with it because it was literally the only one I could get at that time.

I don't know why all of their shit is always out f stock. Pretty damn annoying.

I was just looking at cameras, and if they had the cameras they didn't have the mounting accessories or vice versa.

I get my home internet from a small ISP with an Ubiquity Power Beam 5AC which requires a POE injector.

I'd like to get a WiFi Router that supports POE on the WAN interface. I see a few WiFi routers out there that support POE, but they are only on the LAN switch ports.
just wanted to verify...

ISP -> Ubiquiti Power beam -> POE Injector -> Router... Correct?

I'm running a 16 port Ubiquiti POE router in the barn that services an AP and connects to the home network w/ nano stations... but I don't use the "Wan" port on the router in the barn...

just wanted to verify...

I'm running a 16 port Ubiquiti POE router in the barn that services an AP and connects to the home network w/ nano stations... but I don't use the "Wan" port on the router in the barn...

Why are you using a router in that application?

Why are you using a router in that application?
doesn't really need one... but it provides option for vlans to keep camera traffic separate from the rest of the traffic from the barn.

Plus, I needed POE for the cameras and nano stations.

just wanted to verify...

Yes, and my router is also a FW and WiFi.

I'm simply wanting to get rid of the POE injectors to clean up the physical aspect of my setup.

Another IT professional checking in: Personally I wouldn't let the oddball requirement of POE on the WAN dictate what router I used when a POE injector works just as well and you'd be able to run proven hardware rather than some random off-brand. ...unless you're limited on how many power outlets you've got or something?

Another IT professional checking in: Personally I wouldn't let the oddball requirement of POE on the WAN dictate what router I used when a POE injector works just as well and you'd be able to run proven hardware rather than some random off-brand. ...unless you're limited on how many power outlets you've got or something?
Yes, This.

I live in a pretty small offgrid logcabin that I built and just trying to clean things up. Not a big deal and yes the POE inejctors works fine. I just have three of them sitting here with cables all over the place.

Yes, This.

I live in a pretty small offgrid logcabin that I built and just trying to clean things up. Not a big deal and yes the POE inejctors works fine. I just have three of them sitting here with cables all over the place.
Convert the three into a single four port POE injector if you are trying to save 'space/outlets'. I bought an eight port a while back before I converted to a 24 port POE switch.

Yes, This.

Ah, got it. I like Lil'John's idea

Convert the three into a single four port POE injector if you are trying to save 'space/outlets'. I bought an eight port a while back before I converted to a 24 port POE switch.
...but if you want to roll the dice, there's this:
https://a.co/d/hg1k08S

1711569921930.png

Top Back Refresh