What's new

Anyone into Krags?

Fishnbeer

The dude abides
Member Number
Loc
CA
I have a rifle that has been in the family since the 20's. My Grandma had it and gave it to my Father. He shot a couple deer with it back in the 70s but that may be the last time it was shot. I have had it in the safe for 25 years and never shot it.

Its a springfield 1898 in .30-40 krag. The stock is marked 1902. Its not cut down or 'sporterized' and it is in beautiful shape. I decided its time to shoot it and after I put some rounds through it, I want to take a deer or pig with it.

I have 40 rounds of factory ammo. I ordered a set of dies for my Lee turret press. l plan on fire forming the brass and then loading some copper bullets. I have been hand loading .308 and have some TTSX. I cant find load data from Barnes for .30-40, the only load data I can find in this caliber is for Nosler E-tips. CA has this non lead shit for hunting so it narrows the options down. But these copper bullets are tits on hogs

Anyone got load data for Krags?

At some point years ago I decided I was going to own at least one sample of every rifle an American soldier has carried through out history. I know of the Krags, but have never been in the same room with one.

Now that the kids are (mostly) out on their own, I need to figure out which rifles I need to start looking for again :grinpimp:

Pics of family heirloom please :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Can’t say I’m into them but I have a trashpipe status Remington Lee in 30 USA.

What weight is your intended bullet?
I have old reloading books from the 70s with Craig loads would just need the bullet weight you are planning on. I would definitely load on the safe side with a 100 year old rifle.

I’ve got a Remington Lee in 30-30. It’s missing the magazine :/

Those magazines are hard to find, supposedly each rifle was shipped with 4. I picked up one for a Lee Enfield, going to try and slim it down. Grateful of the sliding shelf for single loading.

Here’s load data I have.

IMG_5517.jpeg

What weight is your intended bullet?
I have old reloading books from the 70s with Craig loads would just need the bullet weight you are planning on. I would definitely load on the safe side with a 100 year old rifle.
I am thinking 165 - 180gr. Original loads with '40 grains smokeless powder' was a 220gr round nose. I am going to shoot it with open sights, so realistic target range is 100 yards or less.

Thanks for posting the data. I happen to have some IMR 4895. Also have some .308 130gr TTSX. Oddly enough that load data does not list 4895 for the 130gr loads...

Ill get some pics of the Krag later. The office is full of boxes and wrapping paper so I cant even open the safe at the moment to get her out.

I like the idea and history of krags, no desire to own or shoot them.

But of that era, I'm more interested in finding a decent condition half mag 1894 in the obsolete and extremely hard to find 30 Winchester centerfire. One with shotgun stock like Theodore's.... but I digress

Well I would not have acquired a Krag on my own. I appreciate the history being the first repeating rifle adopted by the US, and they are known to have butter smooth bolt cycling which is absolutely true on my example.

I am more interested in acquiring a 1903. I want a .30-06 but want something old, something with some character. If I can find a 1903a3 in decent shape that hasnt been bubba'd for a decent price I would be all over it. But collectors seem to think they are made out of gold and I see them on gunbroker going for thousands

The cartouche is stamped 1902. The rear sight is the style that came on 1901 models. Maybe late 1901 prod?

Just watch the lugs, there were problems with stress cracks. Just keep the loads reasonable and they are great old guns

I got the same Springfield 1898 when my grandfather passed. Haven't shot it, but I've got a buddy that says he wants to make up some loads to put through it.

Took the krag to the range this sunday. Its a good shooter. All shots were grouping to the right, the locking tab for windage adjustment is frozen in place. So i started lining up the sights with the right side of the front sight on the left edge of the target.

100 yards, 5 shot group. One flyer was up at 2:00, not bad for 120 year old iron sights
20240107_145452.jpg

And now I have 20 pieces of fire formed brass

Do you need more load data? looking right now at a Lyman 51st edition. No load data on 130gr projectiles but it does list a 150gr with IMR-4895.

I’ve got the Lyman 47th. It has 110gr to 220gr jacketed if you want that info.

Top Back Refresh