What's new

Anyone here fuck with water jet?

Aisin

Grumpy old fuck
Member Number
Are the lead in cuts just part of the game? I wanted to get something simple cut but would rather not deal with that ugly lead in cut. What’s the deal?

The lead in should be located on the scrap part of the material. You can pierce on the cut line but it will leave a mark.

The lead in should be located on the scrap part of the material. You can pierce on the cut line but it will leave a mark.

Cool. I’m looking at getting a disc cut out of .250 plate for a transfer case emergency brake I am building.

Lazy or shitty waterjet programmers can make ragged-looking parts with the same amount of time & resources that a good programmer makes good parts.. Not taking the time (or having the skill) to put the piercing scars in the scrap is annoying on a profile, and inexcusable in bolt holes IMO. Especially bolt holes - fuck those guys. (but I don't have any strong opinions on the subject :laughing:)

Lazy or shitty waterjet programmers can make ragged-looking parts with the same amount of time & resources that a good programmer makes good parts.. Not taking the time (or having the skill) to put the piercing scars in the scrap is annoying on a profile, and inexcusable in bolt holes IMO. Especially bolt holes - fuck those guys. (but I don't have any strong opinions on the subject :laughing:)

Fuck. Now you got me second guessing on having it done now.:flipoff2:Anybody know a place that isn’t garbage?

Fuck. Now you got me second guessing on having it done now.:flipoff2:Anybody know a place that isn’t garbage?

Just ask to see a sample of their work - if the path/finish & hole size meet your approval, you're good to go.

Also, don't be a perfectionist motherfucker like me :laughing:

EDIT: I've also had laser cutters fuck up - it's the programmer, not the process - no need to be afraid of water jet parts.

Last edited:
Plasma is good for that part. Myself or a few others on here could make it for you. I've done many brake rotors.

When you say lead in, do you mean how holes near the edge of plate are often cut like this (see pic).

My guess is it's done like that to save wear and tear due to piercing, and probably to make the part faster to cut.

cnc cut.png

Plasma is good for that part. Myself or a few others on here could make it for you. I've done many brake rotors.

How much would said rotor cost? It would be 6.5 to 7 inches in diameter approximately with a 2.250“ center hole.

How much would said rotor cost? It would be 6.5 to 7 inches in diameter approximately with a 2.250“ center hole.

Price of shipping if you can wait a bit for me to put it in with another parts run.

Price of shipping if you can wait a bit for me to put it in with another parts run.

I can wait. USPS was supposed to deliver the caliper today but they fucked that up. It’s supposed to be here tomorrow. I’ll let you know the exact diameter in a few days.

I can wait. USPS was supposed to deliver the caliper today but they fucked that up. It’s supposed to be here tomorrow. I’ll let you know the exact diameter in a few days.

Just send a sketch with id, od, and bolt pattern.

Just curious what material is planned? I'm sure mild will probably be fine, but it's a small enough part maybe something slightly harder would be worth it?

Just curious what material is planned? I'm sure mild will probably be fine, but it's a small enough part maybe something slightly harder would be worth it?

E-brake it won't matter. Normal brakes rotors would need to be a little more gall resistant.

If they aren't cutting the leadin in the scrap, they should be fired. The cheapest of 2d cam programs do this automatically.

E-brake it won't matter. Normal brakes rotors would need to be a little more gall resistant.

How do you you know he isn't planning on drifting it? :flipoff2:​​​​​​

The only guy I personally know who had a tcase brake used to forget about it and take off in low low untill he smelled it. So it saw plenty of heat :laughing:

Some lead in cuts are planned also. My machinist leaves tangs on the parts so they don't fall in the tank.

What exactly do you need?

I was thinking stainless but that might be too fancy. I can provide material. Just need someone with a table. I’m looking for something similar to this potato picture :flipoff2:

6153367E-7BF3-4BD8-A4B6-79EFFC79406A.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you have a drill press, plasma cutter and a hole saw? I made a circle device for my plasma cutter and just used a hole saw to cut the center. I would drill the bolt pattern before I did any drilling though.
This is 1/4" plate
PC3nRwdl.jpg

oI4kN1Al.jpg

sU3E1akl.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a drill press, plasma cutter and a hole saw? I made a circle device for my plasma cutter and just used a hole saw to cut the center. I would drill the bolt pattern before I did any drilling though.
This is 1/4" plate
PC3nRwdl.jpg

oI4kN1Al.jpg

sU3E1akl.jpg

I have absolutely zero tools to get this accomplished. Hence the reason for starting this thread.

I was thinking stainless but that might be too fancy. I can provide material. Just need someone with a table. I’m looking for something similar to this potato picture :flipoff2:

Just about any grade of stainless would make horrible rotors. Warping under heat and galling would be terrible. AR400 or 500 plate would be a much better choice.

Just about any grade of stainless would make horrible rotors. Warping under heat and galling would be terrible. AR400 or 500 plate would be a much better choice.

Most UTV rotors are tempered stainless. This will be bolt to the rear of a transfer case on a crawler. Not too worried about warping.

Top Back Refresh