What's new

Anyone here familiar with owning TPZ / Timber Production Zone property or land?

ManNamedJed

Member Number
I'm considering buying some property in CA from a family member. It is currently TPZ - a tax zoning to encourage growing timber. I know there are restrictions like I can section it up and build condos, which is fine with me. It appears I can build a house or 'caretaker' cabin. I mostly want it for family camping/hiking, etc. It looks like to remove the TPZ is a 10 yr process and you'd be paying some back taxes. It would also be much harder to resell if I had to.

I've been looking around trying to find more information, but I find no discussions or FAQs, just the law itself which goes on for pages and pages and it difficult to decipher.

Anyone here dealt with this? I am foolish for considering it? I appreciate any input.

I'm considering buying some property in CA from a family member. It is currently TPZ - a tax zoning to encourage growing timber. I know there are restrictions like I can section it up and build condos, which is fine with me. It appears I can build a house or 'caretaker' cabin. I mostly want it for family camping/hiking, etc. It looks like to remove the TPZ is a 10 yr process and you'd be paying some back taxes. It would also be much harder to resell if I had to.

I've been looking around trying to find more information, but I find no discussions or FAQs, just the law itself which goes on for pages and pages and it difficult to decipher.

Anyone here dealt with this? I am foolish for considering it? I appreciate any input.

I own some and have spoken with a land use consultant about options with it.

The re-zoning depends on the county but basically they are against it. You also are generally not lowed to sub devide.
Yes 1 single family dwelling is allowed providing there is nothing else with the property that would prevent it.

Thank you. I did see that the laws vary a bit by county which makes it even harder to find information.

Wouldn't want to subdivide, but didn't know strict they would interpret other uses.

Seems like it would be harder to sell as TPZ, so I thought it might be worth the hassle to get it removed, but didn't know if they would actively block it.

Thank you. I did see that the laws vary a bit by county which makes it even harder to find information.

Wouldn't want to subdivide, but didn't know strict they would interpret other uses.

Seems like it would be harder to sell as TPZ, so I thought it might be worth the hassle to get it removed, but didn't know if they would actively block it.

If you only want a single family home then tpz is great because of the reduced property taxes. I was in negotiations on 160 acres zoned tpz but 1 little corner (less then 5000 sqft) was indicated as a slide zone on some county map. Ironically enough it was about the only flat area of the property. Anyhow because of county rules you wernt allowed to build on any parcel identified as having a slide zone. It didn't matter that the building site I would want was over 1/2 mile away. It was basically explained to me that although my use made sence that the county would most likely not want to set precedence by allowing it.

What county is the property in?

It is Plumas Co. I woudn't have any real intention of building, maybe just keep a camp trailer there or a 'tiny house'. I just don't want to regret it down the road if my plans change and wanted to build, or needed to sell.

It is Plumas Co. I woudn't have any real intention of building, maybe just keep a camp trailer there or a 'tiny house'. I just don't want to regret it down the road if my plans change and wanted to build, or needed to sell.

Hmm, probably the only county in ca I dont think I've ever stepped foot in. YotaAtieToo lives next door, maybe he has some insight. I would ASSume a rural county like that would welcome the added tax money that would come with you developing the land. Any clue if it burned up in the fire?

Was there over the weekend, fire didn't get to that area. I can see there was an undergrowth fire there decades ago. It is on the list to take advantage of the state program where they come in and remove a bunch of the dead stuff and thin.

Hmm, probably the only county in ca I dont think I've ever stepped foot in. YotaAtieToo lives next door, maybe he has some insight. I would ASSume a rural county like that would welcome the added tax money that would come with you developing the land. Any clue if it burned up in the fire?

Why would I know anything? :flipoff2:​​​​​​

Those county's probably get some sort of subsidie for having timber land that makes more than a development. Not to mention a development only works if people buy the homes. Most of Plumas is kinda far from the valley for commuting.

​​​​

Is there a county extension agent or similar you can talk to? Pretty common way to get info for ag land, and I would think there's something similar for timber. Assuming they're worth a shit, they should be able to help with most of those questions and give you a good perspective.

Of course, it's Cali, so you're probably going to fawked somehow no matter what.....

Top Back Refresh