What's new

Anyone ever try this brand of winch before?

FelixstoweF.2

Member Number
I'm looking for a cheap 25,000lb electric winch for my new truck.. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I have a Sherpa 10000lbs . Have had it for several years. Pulls 8500lbs truck very well. Faster than my other winches, all china 10-12K . I have no complaint. Kinda pricey.

I have a Sherpa 10000lbs . Have had it for several years. Pulls 8500lbs truck very well. Faster than my other winches, all china 10-12K . I have no complaint. Kinda pricey.

Well, I was curious because it's supposedly engineered in Australia and tested. But, it looks a lot like other stuff coming out of China for sure. I wonder how it will work on a 54,000lb truck to give me a tug if necessary.

Even if you snatch block a double line pull you're still short poundage if you're stuck. There's a reason the minimum winch rating is supposed to be at least 1.5 times the weight of said stuck rig.

That thing have a PTO? If so maybe an old school power wagon or military duece and half winch could be used.

How bad do you plan on getting stuck? Carry extra line so that you can double or triple as needed, most stucks you'll be fine.
That is the one drawback of these winches such short cable. You're correct I don't plan on getting it stuck up to the frame in mud. More like a ditch and I would like to recover other vehicles with it more than anything else.
Even if you snatch block a double line pull you're still short poundage if you're stuck. There's a reason the minimum winch rating is supposed to be at least 1.5 times the weight of said stuck rig.

That thing have a PTO? If so maybe an old school power wagon or military duece and half winch could be used.
It doesn't have a PTO on the transmission I could put a valve and run a Hydraulic Winch.

If mainly recovering others, yeah you'll be fine. Hydro is a good option to look into also.

For what you are trying to do, it'd be no problem a couple 50' lengths of cable roll up short enough to be worth carrying.

Another option instead of off the trans would be a dedicated engine belt driven pump, use a clutch like an air compressor uses

For what you are trying to do, it'd be no problem a couple 50' lengths of cable roll up short enough to be worth carrying.

Another option instead of off the trans would be a dedicated engine belt driven pump, use a clutch like an air compressor uses

I have that pump already 27 gpm at 1000-2000 psi depending rpm. It's what powers the hydraulics for the plows and stuff. I just didn't want to get into re-plumbing it with a new valve.

I agree completely with the extra cable.

Winch is a good one to only use 1 hydraulic function at a time, toss a couple quick disconnect in there if you don't want them full time?

Few times a year, few long days, probably pretty low use. It'd be nice to have it hooked up full time. Sure, spaghetti monster, but way safer and faster to use compared to electric

Winch is a good one to only use 1 hydraulic function at a time, toss a couple quick disconnect in there if you don't want them full time?

Few times a year, few long days, probably pretty low use. It'd be nice to have it hooked up full time. Sure, spaghetti monster, but way safer and faster to use compared to electric

I'm not sure at this point in time I want to get into the guts of the 50+ year old hydraulic system.

If you're making money or saving lives with it, probably worthwhile to mess with those lines this summer regardless if you end up all electric on the winch or not

If you're making money or saving lives with it, probably worthwhile to mess with those lines this summer regardless if you end up all electric on the winch or not
Nothing as Noble as saving lives. Just tooling around on the streets in a big snow storm If get one and giving a neighbor a hand if they need it. That's all.

This thread particularly we talked about some of advertised specs. To which i doubted them.

Theyve stuck around a while now so theyre at least as good as hf.

This thread particularly we talked about some of advertised specs. To which i doubted them.

Theyve stuck around a while now so theyre at least as good as hf.

2+K is a bit out of my budget for a Harbor Freight Winner.

Ive stayed away from hf personaly but plenty here and friends have liked them and used for years.

Ironicaly, i have 3 12k warns that have all been bought 2nd hand for $300-450 each and all worked flawlessly.

Ive stayed away from hf personaly but plenty here and friends have liked them and used for years.

Ironicaly, i have 3 12k warns that have all been bought 2nd hand for $300-450 each and all worked flawlessly.

That might be what I start to do check the second market for a winch.

Fwiw, none of those were buddy deal prices either. Rando's off the internet that i never quibled on price with.

The deals are out there just gota keep your eyes open.
You're right the deals are out there. I just need to find a good deal on a 25K or great one. I guess I'll go with hydraulic and plumb into the hydraulics. That will be fun 50 year old fittings.

Look for a military Hummer winch. Even if you have to add a 24V battery system. Lots are brand new in box.
Look for a tow truck winch if you go hydraulic.

Look for a military Hummer winch. Even if you have to add a 24V battery system. Lots are brand new in box.
Look for a tow truck winch if you go hydraulic.

Hydrodynamic I'm leaning towards the hydraulic option.

I mean, I'm not saying it's right, but...

FB Markeplace XD9000i that's gear box was rusted solid, I "rebuilt" with PB Blaster and a wire brush, Custom Splice Diamond Line, and an Amazon recovery kit.

I mean, I'm not saying it's right, but...

FB Markeplace XD9000i that's gear box was rusted solid, I "rebuilt" with PB Blaster and a wire brush, Custom Splice Diamond Line, and an Amazon recovery kit.

That's cool. Mostly this winch will be to pull other stuff than the truck. But 25K winch with a 3 or 4 part line pull will work.

Top Back Refresh