What's new

Anyone ever install a barndominium?

Add

Pool boy
Member Number
Loc
Grass Valley, Ca
If so, skool me please. Dos and donts, cost and size you did.

Wife and I are talking about doing one over a conventional home waiting the next few years

Look up Texas barndominiums on YouTube.
Also check with your bank, finding someone to finance it may be tricky. The local banks will finance in my area, but the interest rate is a ARM.

I wanted one till I realized how close the shop is to the kitchen. Knowwhatimean :flipoff2:
That's part of the appeal. I just used a couple of butcher blocks as a brake and am drilling and riveting on my coffee table.
Then what's the point? :homer:

Isn't the point to have the shop attached to the house? :confused:
Quoted for truth.

Then what's the point? :homer:

Isn't the point to have the shop attached to the house? :confused:
Barndo cheaper to build than a conventional house. Want a garage attached to the house yes, but need a bigger detached shop for all my shit

Last edited:
Barndo cheaper to build than a conventional house. Want a garage attached to the house yes, but need a bigger detached ship for all my shit
Pictures of "all of this shit" that you are talking about?

:flipoff2::flipoff2:

Yeah. I pass by a brand new one everyday on my way home. They're starting to grow on me

I go back and forth on them.

I like having a separate shop for fire safety and fumes.

But I kinda like the idea of being able to just step out into the shop, especially when it's 0* out.

I'm building mine out right now and I am for the most part a novice builder. I don't have any regulations to deal with so that's probably different than most situations. Anyway, this is what I have learned so far:

1. You will basically be building on a slab so take extra time to ensure you have everything planned out before the concrete is poured.

2. Attaching the structure to the frame is easy but filling in the space where the frame and interior walls meet is a pain. I'm taking extra precautions to ensure I get a tight seal on the living area.

3. I already know I have and will continue to have a mouse, bug, and dust issue and am planning to use closed cell foam on the living space to help combat these.

4. Make it as tall as you can afford. I went with 16' side walls and I would say that's the minimum if you want a usable mezzanine.

5. Pay to have a ceiling put in when the shop is built. I did and we really like it.

To your original questions, 50x80, post frame, concrete poured after the building was up, about $120k. Didn't finance so I can't answer how that would work.

I'm building mine out right now and I am for the most part a novice builder. I don't have any regulations to deal with so that's probably different than most situations. Anyway, this is what I have learned so far:

1. You will basically be building on a slab so take extra time to ensure you have everything planned out before the concrete is poured.

2. Attaching the structure to the frame is easy but filling in the space where the frame and interior walls meet is a pain. I'm taking extra precautions to ensure I get a tight seal on the living area.

3. I already know I have and will continue to have a mouse, bug, and dust issue and am planning to use closed cell foam on the living space to help combat these.

4. Make it as tall as you can afford. I went with 16' side walls and I would say that's the minimum if you want a usable mezzanine.

5. Pay to have a ceiling put in when the shop is built. I did and we really like it.
Do you have any pics of the buildup?

I've thought about this a lot. Something Ive considered but never seen done is to have one metal building but put a breezeway between the shop and the house but still all under one roof. Would be nice to park under in the weather and it gives you separation between the shop and the house.

I posted an early one in the big windows thread and can get more of the progress later.

Bumping this to brag a bit about where some of these windows went. This pic doesn't show them but there will be 7 looking West towards this sunset and three on the south up top. Pic from tonight.

IMG_20220121_181333.jpg

I have seen a few done with post in the ground. just seems stupid to me. when you can build on a slab and never worry about the posts rotting off. i have helped build a few, I have friends that have built a bunch. the best one we did was 1-2 inch closed cell foam that was wood framed inside with 3 1/2 inches of glass on the walls. and 12"s on the ceiling. he has never had a 100 dollar electric bill. 1600 sqft 16' ceiling in the living room

www.trmetalbuildings.com

lots of pics for ideas

You do not want to be entering an ARM in this climate
No sir. I told him no thank you. They say since the construction is different from a stick build. I feel, they just don't understand them totally yet (idk).

It never made sense to agree to something that can change.

I've thought about this a lot. Something Ive considered but never seen done is to have one metal building but put a breezeway between the shop and the house but still all under one roof. Would be nice to park under in the weather and it gives you separation between the shop and the house.
That’s exactly what my sister and BIL did for their place in Georgia. I like it.

Wait, wtf :confused:

I thought you were talking about building a shop with a living space inside.

Or do you just want a shop looking house to fit in with the trend? :lmao::flipoff2:
Is it trendy? I don’t see what the problem is? My fantasy place is a barndo with a matching detached shop.

Edit. But I don’t want shop space in the house. Small Garage bays for parking cars that would be completely walled off like a normal house/garage. I just like the way they look and the huge open space

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh