What's new

Anyone ever done this, 07 Chevy 3500 Silverado classic 4L80E adapted to drivers drop NP205 ?

Thanks for the visual.

So how many years for the adapter ?
Had always been of the belief that it was a only 1991 K30 or was it R or V.
92-07 or when ever the 4l80 ends.
There are a few adapters versions but theyre all the same.

The only one with a shifter boss is the 91 squate body.

But the 07 shifter can work with some linkage mods.

Reactions: PAE
Thanks for the visual.

So how many years for the adapter ?
Had always been of the belief that it was a only 1991 K30 or was it R or V.
Hi, as posted before THE ADAPTER ON THE BACK OF THE TRANSISSION YOU OWN WILL WORK.

Was looking for this adapter and VSS.

Not the one on the truck with the 263 as 263 has wrong adapter it does not have the tone ring that the generator uses, and the np205 has the correct drive gear to hook up to the PTO that the drive uses.

IMG_0736 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
This is even better:

Would be nice but no cigar, my np205 uses a parking brake attached to the speedo housing where I'm assuming this blue anodized flange mounts.

Would be nice but no cigar, my np205 uses a parking brake attached to the speedo housing where I'm assuming this blue anodized flange mounts.
Show me the 205 tail housing. Bet it's the same?

drill and tap.

Found it on another forum after a 10 sec google search.

03171397be08636bf2e618c379e02b49.jpg

There are adapters with the VSS in them too

4wd-to-gm-np205-long-input-circular-6-bolt-pattern.jpg

Yes the ring looks like it would work with one of my square body chevys and I already have their long 32 spline input.

But dont know how it would work with the 07 Chevy Silverados.

Thanks.

drill and tap.

Last edited:
Maybe it the top sensor would work once a spot was welded up on the speedo housing but a stock speedo housing is not designed with the threaded hole pointing at the center of the speedo housing, its at an angle to mesh with the side of the slip on plastic gear.

Might work where the vent barb is.

drill and tap.

Maybe it the top sensor would work once a spot was welded up on the speedo housing but a stock speedo housing is not designed with the threaded hole pointing at the center of the speedo housing, its at an angle to mesh with the side of the slip on plastic gear.

guy machined it flat

guy machined it flat
I've had this done, too:

I've used the Advanced Adpters kit, too. It's expensive but works well.

You guys are way over thinking the output VSS issue. The 4x4 4l80e can use the 2wd 4l80e VSS if you buy the reluctor ring and press it on the output hub. The solution is less than $30...

On an 07 with 4L80E ?

Im also trying to conceptualize what the mesh would be on the meeting of the 4L80 with the NP205,

2nd type of mounting on square body chevy like the military factory M1031,
And how much cross over on the shaft with universal joints from driving the carrier bearing with the ford NP205 since it originally drove from the passenger side of the chassis (starboard) and not the drivers side (port) on the M1031 generator truck the shaft is straight back from the pto to the carrier bearing mount.

If this is difficult to visualize I'll attempt to find pics.

I've used the Advanced Adpters kit, too. It's expensive but works well.

The original military use of the VSS was for the generator used on the M1031 (1983 to 1987) and was a stand alone usage for the belt drive generator in its knowing the engine RPM.

in the 07 Chevy Silverado its usage is used for the computers and dont know how taking its usage away from the computer to use it stand alone with the PTO and generator setup would affect how the engine would run as its computerised.

You guys are way over thinking the output VSS issue. The 4x4 4l80e can use the 2wd 4l80e VSS if you buy the reluctor ring and press it on the output hub. The solution is less than $30...

The original military use of the VSS was for the generator used on the M1031 (1983 to 1987) and was a stand alone usage for the belt drive generator in its knowing the engine RPM.

in the 07 Chevy Silverado its usage is used for the computers and dont know how taking its usage away from the computer to use it stand alone with the PTO and generator setup would affect how the engine would run as its computerised.
Why wouldn't you use an RPM signal from the ECM and let the VSS drive what the ECM needs to shift the transmission?

Because the electronics in the module of the generator arent setup to do such, only setup to use the signal off the VSS on the speedo housing off the np205, dont have the coin to go experimenting with what I cant afford to replace when it goes sideways.

Was hoping there was a way to make it work on the 07 Chevrolet but with the pto hole on the wrong side of the truck I suppose not on that aspect as well.

Didnt take into consideration that the Ford np205 uses the transfer case with things opposite of the GM/Dodge transfer case and the carrier bearing hardware mounts on the correct side for the GM transfer case (left side) not the Ford (right side).

Why wouldn't you use an RPM signal from the ECM and let the VSS drive what the ECM needs to shift the transmission?

Last edited:
As stated earlier, the bolt pattern is not the same from a gm round to a ford round pattern. I have a Ford NP205 behind a 6l80 using the stock adapter but I had to change a couple of holes and grind out for the shift rail. I would make sure the t-case fits before you go too far.

Reactions: PAE
The bolt pattern is the least of my worries as the factor that would keep me from using the ford np205 is the fact that the pto hole is on the wrong side of the transfer case once its installed, easily 24-30 inches to far to the passenger side of the truck.

As stated earlier, the bolt pattern is not the same from a gm round to a ford round pattern. I have a Ford NP205 behind a 6l80 using the stock adapter but I had to change a couple of holes and grind out for the shift rail. I would make sure the t-case fits before you go too far.

Do you understand that every single tcase that has a pto and is drivers side will be in that same position?

How can you want to use a completely modified and swapped in system and not expect to have to move shit around and rework things?

It not taking the signal away from the trucks ecm. Its piggy backing it to give a secondary signal to the gen like you think you need.

Yeah, just didnt take that into consideration is all.

Using the pto and shaft back to the carrier bearing and frame the bearing is mounted on just requires fabrication work I didnt take into account.

Do you understand that every single tcase that has a pto and is drivers side will be in that same position?

How can you want to use a completely modified and swapped in system and not expect to have to move shit around and rework things?

Ill just go find a Chevy 6.6 LBZ Truck at auction with a allison and bingo have me a PTO hole in said transmission, will use a stand alone generator controller and do what TN suggests with the sensor.

To satisfy a need and desire.

But it wouldn't be a modern EGR diesel.

Why is the fuck would you jump through a ton of hoops to run a generator off a modern egr diesel idling its self away when you can just get a stand alone unit that will do it 100x's better?

Top Back Refresh