What's new

Anyone buy from bearingsdirect.com?

cj7jeep81

Member Number
I need to order 110 bearings. Fastenal has them for $5.50 each, but not that many (and apparently can't get that many for 6 weeks). McMaster and Grainger have them, but at $10 each. Bearingsdirect has them for $5.85, but in this quantity, the price goes down to $3.80 each.

I'm sure all 3 places are selling chinese bearings, so imagine the quality is all about the same. This will be going into a roller table to move large chunks of stone around, so never spinning more than 10 or 15 rpm, and and probably only a few hundred turns per day. Just wanted to see if anyone had an opinion prior to dropping $400 with a place I haven't used before.

[486 said:
;n337651]
metric rod to hang them on would be more money than 1" cold rolled

Yeah, we are rebuilding an existing roller table, and reusing the old rollers, which are 1". Sticking with metal shielded ones, just for a little extra protection. This is in a rock quarry, and these guys aren't gentle on equipment.
Ordered 110 of the ones larboc linked, so hope to get them soon. Then finish programming, and make about 100 bearing holders on the CNC as quickly as I can.

Here's one of the bars of parts.
finished_bar.jpeg

The shallow line is just a visual reference to make sure my cuts are in the right place. The bearing will be pressed into these, then welded to the existing table with the rollers between. Here's a couple pics of the existing table. Its the one in front (not with the conveyor belt). This one we made from scratch, and seems to be working really well.
half_table.jpg

table.jpg

Bearings are not a good place to save money. Relatively small quality problems or cheapness in selection of materials/process can have huge impacts on life.

Bearings are not a good place to save money. Relatively small quality problems or cheapness in selection of materials/process can have huge impacts on life.

I don't disagree, but they were wanting to keep cost down (since they already paid a ton for the table we are rebuilding), and these things really don't see that much rotation. I'd be surprised if they ever see higher than 10 or 15rpm, and probably only a few hundred rotations per day. They place a rock on the table, push it forward, cut it, push it back, turn it, push it forward, cut it, etc.

Top Back Refresh