What's new

Anyone bought from COPART?

engineerjoe

Enginerd
Member Number
Loc
CO
I love minivans - let's just get that out of the way first. Each kid gets their own seat and plenty of room, even if the in-laws come to visit. Minivans are perfectly designed to move people and that is what they do amazingly comfortably. I love the functionality and practicality. If I have to turn in my man card for that, so be it!! :flipoff2:

Well our current van is due to be replaced. I couldn't help but check out COPART to see what was there, and I found this:

https://www.copart.com/lot/52987910/2020-kia-sedona-ex-co-denver-central

All I can see is a flat passenger front tire. and I'm thinking of trying to bid on it. I'm not too scared of the salvage title, because we'd hopefully keep this thing for 10-15 years.

How does the auction process work? If I win it, can I just drive the car away (fix the tire, get insurance/temp tag)?
How hard is it to get full coverage on a car with a salvage title?
Is anyone registered on COPART and can get me more info on it? Sale date or anything else
Anyone in Denver bored and want to go check it out for me? I'll buy you lunch or a BRC donation as payment.

Can anyone boil it down and tell me the best way to go about bidding?

What else should I expect?

Thanks in advance!

EVERYTHING on copart goes for an exorbitant amount of money. Expect to pay more than you can just jump on marketplace and get one.

You wont be getting full coverage on a salvage title.

I have tried multiple times. Things seem to sell at almost brand new prices. They are way, way over market value in my experience.

We have a pretty big copart down here. i know a few people that have bought for reasonable prices. they also do a ton of searching and pass on a lot of stuff.

I also see dudes here with big trailers loading them up with a bunch of cars or guys stringing together a few cars to tow home. I'd say there are a lot of people looking at the auctions.

Screenshot_20210118-113348.png

How does the auction process work? If I win it, can I just drive the car away (fix the tire, get insurance/temp tag)?

---All vehicles have to leave on a trailer. You can pull it out to the street and unload it and they dont care, but has to leave on a trailer.

How hard is it to get full coverage on a car with a salvage title?

---Not sure. I have it on my audi, maybe im not supposed to?

Is anyone registered on COPART and can get me more info on it? Sale date or anything else

---Ones listed future dont have a date set. It could be a month from now or a year. All depends on how fast the ins company gets the paperwork figured out

Anyone in Denver bored and want to go check it out for me? I'll buy you lunch or a BRC donation as payment.

---Cant check them out until they have an auction data. You can go checkout a different vehicle, and if you happen to pass by this one so be it. Last i checked they werent allowing people to check vehicles because covid will kill you

Can anyone boil it down and tell me the best way to go about bidding?

---You are going to need to go through a broker, or find someone who has a business you can set up an account through. Check out the FAQ section for fees. They are high. I would expect based on that vehicles to pay an additional 2k in fees. Just a guess, but probably close.

What else should I expect?

---The price to be higher than you would want to bid. It has only gotten worse in the last year since covid bux are flooding the market. I picked up an A6 off there for a good deal. Also got a sled that i already sold. Had some busted up plastics, but it was mislabeled so it didnt show up in conventional searches so i got it super cheap.

A local copart here, no good things to brag. Internet pixs are always nice but never represents the vehicle being sold/auctioned or pixs show only the good side... Show up and What The F...? If desperate to bid/buy, pick up w/trailer in muddy lot...

~Good luck on your Vantastic vehicle search-

Copart is a crazy scam. The first time you win a bid, the fees will make you sick to your stomach.

I just picked up a car hauler trailer from them for pretty cheap a month or two ago, but the fees were a killer so definitely budget an extra ~$1-2k for them on a full vehicle. I'm looking at a couple 4Runners too, but seeing the prices are crazy I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Keep in mind that runs and drives means just that. Bought a F250 with a 5.4 that ran but had spark plugs blown out of the heads and a bad knock. and when they move or load a car its with a fork lift.

I went through this on a different auto auction site.

First answer, salvage insurance, yes you can still get full coverage, some agents want to inspect some take your word for it.

I was looking at a car that i could get off craigslist for $1000.

To even bid I had to buy a membership that was $200. The vehicle I wanted went for $1045 ( I didn't buy it) But this is not the first time I have came across auctions that get way more money than they should.

Maybe it is a scam with shell bidding, maybe salvage yards just like buying there since they have to transport more than one anyway and they will get their money back out of it.

But I keep finding better deals on market place or craigslist. Just have to be vigilant and search every day. Be prepared to drive a few hours to get what you want.

I will still watch auctions but so far I have never been able to get a decent price there.

Auctions go retail then fees push the price beyond it making any sense. They stage the pictures to make things look better. Google the vin and do a image search. You can usually find a picture showing the real danages.

It may run and make it back to your place. Bring a truck & plan on renting a trailer just in case. Run & drive doesn’t mean it is roadworthy you might get lucky though. I haven’t seen vandalism cause a salvage title before. That is a big red flag. You are allowed to start the car, put in gear and move forward/backwards few feet. No joy rides around the yard though.

check the VIN - it is cheap insurance. I have heard good things about autoauctions.io but I haven’t used them personally. You want to buy items that are owned by insurance companies. Not private or 3rd party peeps.

if you have a business, you can probably set up an account with Copart in Colorado. Some states make it much harder & it is easier to pay a broker.

There are deals to be had but it takes a lot of time to weed them out. It takes patience to let a lot of overpriced shit go. Look at the vehicles in person or have someone knowledgeable look for you. Bring a jump box because most batteries will be dead.

Top Back Refresh