What's new

Anyone been to or taken kids to the Kentucky Derby?

KarlVP

Not Sure
Member Number
Loc
Crusty's Brewing, Wa
My 5yo daughter is enamored with horses. We have had her in horse riding lessons and shes getting pretty good. She asked me about going to the Derby this year, but I don't think she yet realizes what it is.

I have always wanted to go to the derby at least once just to see what it's all about. I completely understand it is a 48 hour drunk fest. If you have been what age do you think it would be okay to bring a kiddo? I have some friends that went, but they paid general admission to sit in the infield rowdy section. I checked and tickets for an actual seat in the stands on the corner are $800-$1000.

Is it worth it for the spectacle and "fanciness" of the Derby? Or would it be better to go for another race on another day? Same stands, same horse racing, $1000's cheaper.

Never been to the Kentucky derby but ive been to Belmont. I would not bring a kid, but then again i don't have any kids so my perspective may be different.

Shes 5, bring her to a different race and tell her it's the derby?

I don’t think I would take a kid to the derby. I’d say a lot of people do. But the Keeneland spring or fall meet I would.

Get her a fancy dress and ludicrous hat for the derby.

or take her to the track and let her pick the ponies, profit?

Do not take a kid to the derby. I would say 16 at the youngest. I lived in Louisville 3 years. Derby was a blast. But take her to Therby or any other day of the year they are running horses. They will be just fine and lots of fun without all the crap show around it. Plus it literally always rains on derby day. I was late 20s when I was there, no kids.

Take her to Kentucky horse park in Lexington instead. Way more kid friendly. Its like a zoo for horses. Go in the spring or summer. In winter they take the horses south.

Get her started in barrel racing.... She can be certified "Bat Shit Crazy" when she turns 21!

Props to you; encourage her to keep riding and learning how to take care of them. Horses are a ton of work; but that work builds character.:smokin:

Last edited:
Get her started in barrel racing.... She can be certified "Bat Shit Crazy" when she turns 21!

Props to you; encourage her to keep riding and learning how to take care of them. Horses are a ton of work; but that work builds character.:smokin:

Thanks man. Her first lessons at the place we take her to were to greet and groom the horse, and then learn how to rig the saddle. She did this for the first 3 lessons no riding whatsoever. She was a little bit discouraged.

Now when she shows up for the lesson, she greets, checks and grooms the horse, and saddles it (with help) before she rides. It's really cool the way they teach the kids to respect the animals.

No doubt in my mind she will get into barrel racing. We went to a few rodeos last year and she was smitten the whole time.

The Derby is for grown ups drinking and socializing. I've been 3 times, pretty fun but steeped in the traditions and a lot of business gets done there.

Top Back Refresh