What's new

Any off grid people in here?

i have to permit a well in Colorado, i can drill a well on my places here in Texas without any permits. Colorado has weird laws on water also so educate yourself before you go punching holes. hell i can be fined if i dig a bucket or two out of the ground and it fills with water. but it is my understanding i can do ''erosion control".

Yeah, Colorado is headfucked on water rights - you can get fined for catching & storing rain water, correct?

Im off grid in spirit, and prepping to be 100% off grid once I'm able to leave this corrupt state.

Im off grid in spirit, and prepping to be 100% off grid once I'm able to leave this corrupt state.

is it California where you're not allowed to be off grid if it's possible to be on grid? I recall something about fines for not being on the power system from the BCBB era.

Not planning on remaining on or in California, from my POV or yours.

is it California where you're not allowed to be off grid if it's possible to be on grid? I recall something about fines for not being on the power system from the BCBB era.

Used to, I don't know if they changed it or not

It changed. You can harvest roof rainwater (residence only) now, but rain falling anywhere else on the property still belongs to the water right downstream. I am sure it will change again in the future. My property is permitted to harvest any roof water, so it includes barns and outbuildings and is grandfathered to future law changes. This is a very low level enforcement item anyway, so I haven't ever heard of anyone getting popped for illegally harvesting roof water. Of course, when you only get about 11 inches a year and a lot of that is in winter, there isn't that much volume off your roof most of the warm months to apply to growing stuff anyway. I don't collect roof water, but I have a well, so meh. I guess it is nice that I could do so if I choose to. Of course it things get to the point where I need to collect roof water, I doubt there will be a government to care what I was doing anyway.

I know this all sounds like lunacy to people outside Colorado. Water law here is nutz.

internet is pretty easy to come by. will it be as good as fibre in town? fuck no, but the tradeoff is worthwhile.

hell, Obama made rural high speed internet a campaign priority and biden wants to expand that :rasta: screw them both, but also tesla is working on their drag net high speed internet and 5g will continue to expand to make traditional sat. internet providers near worthless.

Do your research. The fed gov was offering some pretty healthy subsidies to expand internet access to rural areas. I don't know if that is still available or not. The county I am in went heavy and has fiber to most of the county. The internet at my place is way faster than at the commercial office in the next county which didn't. I have fiber connection to my house, where there is only a few houses around as far as I can see. There are other rural counties out there that did the same thing.

Im sure there is a loophole somewhere and to be honest I havent seen such a law but there are laws against county government ordances on land they do not own.

Ill post the info when I locate it.

yeah you'd made that clear, but that wasn't the question:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Do your research. The fed gov was offering some pretty healthy subsidies to expand internet access to rural areas. I don't know if that is still available or not. The county I am in went heavy and has fiber to most of the county. The internet at my place is way faster than at the commercial office in the next county which didn't. I have fiber connection to my house, where there is only a few houses around as far as I can see. There are other rural counties out there that did the same thing.

and while I did then and still do oppose the federal forced expansion of internet as a "human right", yeah it is growing to the point that i'm not even concerned being only a decade or less away from making the jump

and while I did then and still do oppose the federal forced expansion of internet as a "human right", yeah it is growing to the point that i'm not even concerned being only a decade or less away from making the jump

I am against fed money raining around to make people feel better too. However, at this point it is sunk cost, why not position yourself to make use of it? It doesn't make sense to continue to chiseling stone tablets or using the carrier pigeon communication system in an attempt to protest fedgov excess.

the majority of states rockies and west have amazingly complicated rainwater/groundwater rules.

Because agricultural water rights were etched in stone a generation or two ago.

They pipe it all to SoCal, so Magnum PI can grow avocados for Trampas' toast :flipoff2:

I realize this is a big deal out west... i don't think you understand the deep south. Water is just... here. There's no such thing as no water. Well/ getting water is no big deal at all east of Dallas area. A 100ft well around here is considered "full retard".

I want this, in an area where water is zero problem.

I used to live in Florida. Rained every fukkin day and you can just about find the water table anywhere with a shovel and about 10 minutes. Then moved to the other extreme on the high plains.

I will deal with the dry to not have the bugs that come with humidity and water. I get miller moths for a month in the spring and some flies in the late summer. But I never see a mosquito and I don't have to spray my house every few weeks to keep out the carpenter ants, roaches, termites, and all the others. I got real tired of dealing with bug problems, and I had to deal with all of them during my time down there. Dry climate agrees with me much better, for more than just the lack of bugs too.

lol western and southern problems.

I'll trade a few weeks of mosquitoes and blackflies for Colorado bugs and problems any day.

The other problem with the South is everything rots. The West has one attribute: you can just leave your shit out and it's seemingly fine forever. I'm mid-way between the two and that's just fine. In the South, as soon as you build anything, it is already rotting away.

The soil friggin sucks too. Goddamned clay rocky bullshit most places, mud and silt the rest of the places.

Think it was colorado and either Oregon or Washington that thinks they own the rain water and will do their best to fine you for collecting it if kt rolls off your roof, when I heard that I was blown away and made a CRS mental note that I would not be moving to any of those states.

The fucking arrogance of those fucks.

the majority of states rockies and west have amazingly complicated rainwater/groundwater rules.

I"m in Colorado and its my understanding that it is 100% legal to catch 50 gallons of rainwater.

that being said, the local county health inspector basically told me that nobody is monitoring that.

Lots of folks up here are offgrid and catch thousands of gallons of rainwater and that is my plan too. the key for both enforcement and freezing is to simply bury the tanks.

I know it is "law" that I must pay $110/ month for garbage service, and the fact that they dont service my adress is not an excuse. I have to provide proof of how I legitimately dispose of my trash to get an exemption. :mad3:

Fuck that, btw state or local "law" ?

Thie whole idea is just not wanting the contracts be it fed, state or local.

This would include being beholden to a company that would do a job that I can do myself like trash or providing power if I want to use solar or other alternative form.

I know it is "law" that I must pay $110/ month for garbage service, and the fact that they dont service my adress is not an excuse. I have to provide proof of how I legitimately dispose of my trash to get an exemption. :mad3:

Fuck that, btw state or local "law" ?

Thie whole idea is just not wanting the contracts be it fed, state or local.

This would include being beholden to a company that would do a job that I can do myself like trash or providing power if I want to use solar or other alternative form.

Local I think.... I've always just paid for trash service until I moved to my new house. They dont service my road so I just haul my shit to the dump whenever the trailer gets full. A year into living here I got hit with a $1400 bill for back service. Noater how many times I tried to explain that they dont service my rd the person on the other end of the phone 500 miles away did not seem to care

Simple send a registered letter asking for a copy of the contract you signed requesting trash service.

You cannot be forced to contract with anyone.

The town I associate with attempted the same and my ex boss sent the same letter and they stopped bothering him.

faith and credit shit.

Local I think.... I've always just paid for trash service until I moved to my new house. They dont service my road so I just haul my shit to the dump whenever the trailer gets full. A year into living here I got hit with a $1400 bill for back service. Noater how many times I tried to explain that they dont service my rd the person on the other end of the phone 500 miles away did not seem to care

is a home built used oil fired incinerator legitimate?

Think it was colorado and either Oregon or Washington that thinks they own the rain water and will do their best to fine you for collecting it if kt rolls off your roof, when I heard that I was blown away and made a CRS mental note that I would not be moving to any of those states.

The fucking arrogance of those fucks.

That is typical Western 'Water Rights' issues. It's a pretty big goddamned deal. You'll get yourself shot in Wyoming just putting a board down in a rainwater runoff ditch.

Washington has some pretty weird rules as well. There are community wells some places where you can stick your hose down in it and pump it to your lawn. Then in some seasons they lock them up. Someone broke into one when I was there and there was an assault and a brawl over it :lmao: Then the guy went to jail for that, and the lock-cutter got a big ass fine.

The house I was in had regular city water for the taps, but the sprinkler system was fed by irrigation water, and I could use as much as I wanted (thank you Columbia River dams). Rights came with the house which was 1940s, so after Grand Coulee. The Rights were part of an orchard that was divided up for residential lots and they carried with the property in that case.

But it wasn't automatic, it was old-school and you went out with a wrench and stuck it down a pipe in the ground to get to the valve.

Last edited:
That is typical Western 'Water Rights' issues. It's a pretty big goddamned deal. You'll get yourself shot in Wyoming just putting a board down in a rainwater runoff ditch.

Washington has some pretty weird rules as well. There are community wells some places where you can stick your hose down in it and pump it to your lawn. Then in some seasons they lock them up. Someone broke into one when I was there and there was an assault and a brawl over it :lmao: Then the guy went to jail for that, and the lock-cutter got a big ass fine.

The house I was in had regular city water for the taps, but the sprinkler system was fed by irrigation water, and I could use as much as I wanted (thank you Columbia River dams). Rights came with the house which was 1940s, so after Grand Coulee. The Rights were part of an orchard that was divided up for residential lots and they carried with the property in that case.

But it wasn't automatic, it was old-school and you went out with a wrench and stuck it down a pipe in the ground to get to the valve.

my neighbor owns some rural property in WA, they've had it for decades. I guess they have and artesian well, cuz WA water everywhere, and a while back it went from being "theirs" to being a "community" well and they know have to pay for access to it :laughing: state said "you didn't own it before 1905 (or whatever) so we can still mess with things"

It’s all because California.... they e dried up all water resources in their immediate area (all you have to do is drive through palm desert and you’ll understand).... now they expanding to outlying states..... I’ve heard talk of them Looking into piping water from as far up as western side of the cascades in Washington!!!!

It’s all because California.... they e dried up all water resources in their immediate area (all you have to do is drive through palm desert and you’ll understand).... now they expanding to outlying states..... I’ve heard talk of them Looking into piping water from as far up as western side of the cascades in Washington!!!!

Not the case everywhere in Ca

Go and educate yourself and stop believing everything you hear.

Maybe in central noweresville ca but not the rest of the state. And you picked the middle of the desert for your example

Maybe in central noweresville ca but not the rest of the state. And you picked the middle of the desert for your example

the house i was born/grew up in was at the end of the foothills, just west of auburn. when my day built it in the mid 80's, he dug a "pond" in one part of the yard that was basically just a 12' deep hole. our whole ~5 acre mini valley was generally pretty wet and the pond help dry it out a bit, the house had to be built up on the slope. across the street was another larger wooded valley area and it was wet, nearest thing to a swamp as i ever knew of in CA. before i was 10 or so in the early 90's, our pond had just sort of disappeared. seemed like it was there one year, and then one spring it just left, never to return. no real major development or anything in the immediate area, but there was some. another few years later and about the mid-90's and somebody bought the swampy area. it had also dried significantly over a couple years to the point it was half useful, but they still ended up need to drain the land a bit before it could be built up.

today? :laughing: well, there is probably at least double the home density just in that town, and the town on the other side of the ridge has at least doubled, probably triple by now, and there is absolutely no way anybody living there would ever believe that place used to hold standing water.

i know there are plenty of areas that are holding up just fine and water isn't much of a consideration out there, but in general the ground water table has and is dropping in CA. significantly so and enough that i don't have any sympathy for anybody at all around the salton sea or trying to have suburb living in the desert/dry ass valley :laughing:

Ca does have an interesting water situation. Look at modesto south, all desert that the ducted water to from up north to turn it into farm land.

LA gets water from Shasta and lake Oroville and the Colorado River.

They drained lakes on the eastern side of the Sierras trying to get water for so cal.

Then were in a desperate draught, but they're still letting it pour out into the delta so that was the smelly Bay water doesn't come up to the politicians houses in the delta:homer:

The damn state is overpopulated, by a lot. You can't go anywhere with out seeing people, even up in the woods, in "the middle of nowhere" you run into groups of people.

Top Back Refresh