What's new

Another whats it worth? 86 GMC

Spudwrench

Member Number
Loc
Mohave Valley, AZ.
in the market for a dually to do truck stuff. Ran across this one. wasnt looking for a 4x4 but this is kinda badass. 40k miles. 454. Owners are old and cant fix it. someone doing an oil change for them took off the intake manifold. they told him to just stop. Been sitting since. anyways, they want 9k. firm. gonna go look at it tomorrow. Looking for opinions here. I dont give a rap about MPG, No smog checks here, and will definately need an overdrive conversion.

Attachments

• 8212.jpeg
    8212.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 8211.jpeg
    8211.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 8238.jpeg
    8238.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 8225.jpeg
    8225.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 8208.jpeg
    8208.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
4500 tops...

I just parted out an 85 exactly like that paid 0 for it as no papers.

Just saved the D70 differential, and doors and front clip, engine was at the rebuilder in town and a week after our 2018 fire I collected the pieces of it, roasted it was.

9K for a almost 40 year old truck that does not run, what are they smoking ?

Would rather a 1983 / reason it has the removable transmission tunnel cover or might.

Last edited:
Truck doesn't run and has been sitting...sounds like motivated sellers if you ask me.

That's alot of truck with good stuff. Probably not something to walk away from but they can pound sand and deal with a ton of tire kickers and Nigerian scammers if they don't want to take a wholesale price.

Not like the trucks runs and drives. I'd be starting at $5k and probably not want to be anymore then $8k after negotiating.

If they push back I'd be like yeah I'll give you $10k when I can take it for a test drive. Please let me know when you find the line of mechanics willing to put an intake and carb on a 40 year old truck for cheap money.

To play devil's advocate for $15k you could take a 2wd crew that's almost worthless to most people, drop a set of Super Duty axles under it. Pick the LS of your choice for probably 2/3rds that.

Granted you could drop an intake on this one and be driving by the afternoon 🤣

Good looking truck, I think that the story is b.s. though.
I'm going with this response...2k or make it run and drive for you. For all you know the trans is bad, t case doesn't engage, ring gears are chipped or just pure junk, and it probably needs 6 fucking tires.

To play devil's advocate for $15k you could take a 2wd crew that's almost worthless to most people, drop a set of Super Duty axles under it. Pick the LS of your choice for probably 2/3rds that.

Granted you could drop an intake on this one and be driving by the afternoon 🤣
Why not just drop the body on the matching super duty frame??? Find a cummins and party :flipoff2:

If it's as nice as it looks $5k tops. Plan on putting an engine in it. There is a reason the intake is off. Crews are getting hard to find in decent shape. FYI my son will be selling an '81 1ton dually crew cab. 350/4speed/205. It will not have the front 60 in it. Will swap either a 10 bolt or 44 in. It is a project. But complete and we did have it running. It is actually a low miles truck. 60k but was a ranch truck.

From a rust belt perspective, the fact it looks that clean and rust free puts a major premium on it. Engine and drivetrain repairs feel minor compared to replacing half the body, patching frame, and torching bolts constantly...

Do they have all of the parts that were taken off? Is it a lifetime AZ truck and rust free? Tires in good enough shape and not dry rotted?

Throw out 5K and gauge their response.

Consider that engine toast. Both valve covers have the bolts missing so they were also pulled. Other bolts look to be missing. And that trash bag hasn't sealed out anything. MAYBE it just needs bolted back together and flushed, but I wouldn't gamble my money on it.

If you really want it... AND you really want to swap engines... Make an offer for the value of a roller, minus an engine. $4-5k at MOST.

I'm sure some collectors might say they'd pay $7-9k for it because it's a Squarebody CCLB DRW, but probably not these days as prices are falling on novelty/project rigs that aren't turn-key and dialled in.

If your goal is a truck to do actual truck things you can do a lot better than this for $8-9k. That's GMT800 or early Super Duty money. And they will be better at truck things.

OK, so i went and looked at it. From the clues given to me by the owners the intake was removed because leaking gaskets causing it to smoke. this was done around last labor day. something happened between the mechanic and them. they have all the parts. it has a carburetor, not TBI or whatever. Dual exhaust, no cats. Body is very clean, no rot. this is a Nevada truck, originally USFS. 40k miles shown. 12k winch, probably HF. Some dents in the bed and a small piece missing from dually fender on PS bottom. brake pedal and clutch pedal feel good. tires are good, no rot. Louvered hood is a nice touch. Camper shell is a Lund and useable. Dual tanks, chassis is as clean as they get.
Ive had Superduties and driven everything out there for work. Boring. This truck is more my flavor and seriously considering getting it just because I like it. Brings back memories of my dads old truck. Theres isnt exactly a bunch of these around here, Ive looked.
Anyway i got them down to 7500. They werent happy about it. well see if the reconsider cause I wont go a dollar more.

As much as my inner being hates it even with a junk engine it's probably worth that.

Sure would 4 or 5 be nice but at the end of the day if all it needs is an engine that's a good starting point.

To me of the body, frame, and interior are all there everything else can be fixed.

8.1 practically bolts in...just saying 🤣

I mean if people are paying that then that's what it's worth 🤣

If some tard wants a gutless diesel with no OD in a truck that doesn't even have matching paint for $15k then don't get in their way.

Full disclosure...I have a gutless diesel with overdrive 😎

The amount of fucking trash with 5 figure price tags is astounding.

And to compound it guys with 12v swaps want $20k+ and still needs paint.

Nice trucks are being listed for $30-55k.

Some **** bought one on the auction show for $110k+, its been retarded for 4-5 years, after that its been leftist rational retarded.

When people stop paying the monies then they will be back to normal pricing.

Which I'm guessing is coming very soon. It is the same thing in residential real estate. Gravy train ride is over and sellers are wondering why their shit boxes are listed for 90 days with no offers. But we made a $1500 price reduction 🤣

It's a Chevy. It's probably apart because they took it apart and were too stupid to see the problem despite looking right at it. Lord knows five different people tried to fix it and if you sum their IQs you still don't hit triple digits.

But then again, you're buying a Chevy so odds are you aren't in a position to do any better than them. :flipoff2:

That's pretty good. Hey, I like the color of your car there, man. What's that supposed to be? Sort of a cross between piss yellow and puke green, ain't it?
:laughing:
MassDOT trucks all used to be about that color. A hair less yellow and a hair more green. Now they're all the same yellow as every 3rd Camaro/Mustang.

It's a Chevy. It's probably apart because they took it apart and were too stupid to see the problem despite looking right at it. Lord knows five different people tried to fix it and if you sum their IQs you still don't hit triple digits.

But then again, you're buying a Chevy so odds are you aren't in a position to do any better than them. :flipoff2:
Hows that chevy bellhousing working out for ya?

Top Back Refresh