What's new

Another generator thread...

I bought the Westinghouse in the second link because after further thinking, it has a remote start feature and the reviews all say the remote start switch being on doesn't kill the battery like one would expect. I'm going to build a little generator house on the front side of my well house where the power enters the property and then farm out the electrical part of the installation for an automatic transfer switch system so everything will be seamless and Beavis doesn't get his fix the first time its used.

I'll update in a few weeks when the generator is delivered and I have figured out the electrical contractor side of things.

Anyone have one of these honda 3200s?

Anyone have one of these honda 3200s?
If there is a dual fuel in the works, I’d put it on my “things to buy when visiting Reno” list.

how loud is that Westinghouse generator? How hard would it be to retrofit a larger muffler, or build a hush house for it?

how loud is that Westinghouse generator? How hard would it be to retrofit a larger muffler, or build a hush house for it?
I remember “back when…” in the field, the REMFs would basically dig a small foxhole for their genset, it seemed to help muffle some of the noise

They're like 65db @ 20ft if that. Not terrible at all.

An enclosure is about as difficult as you wanna make it.

Before heading out, I was looking online again, and I saw this one on sale: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&linkId=f440789d2fe9b7b7f4d8b889be9e1c23&th=1 Its a much better thought, but it is really worth 25% more to me? I know the LPG option would be better for long-term storage situations... but I am a cheap bastid.

So, should I get the cheapo with the coupon, or get the Westinghouse that's on sale now for $999.98?

I just bought that Westinghouse generator for my house. I have 2 250 gal propane tanks I bought last year I'm going to use one for the generator and T the other one in with the 500 I have on the house.

Just my whole house. One central air unit, one full size refrigerator, too mini-fridges, two deep freezers, modem, computers, phone chargers, a few lights... I won't be welding or running the air compressor or anything when under backup power, so just the normal stuff. Stove is electric, too.

I have a cheapo from some off brand that I picked up at Sam's nearly 10 years ago. It is now semi-permanently mounted on the tray I built for the back of my RV. I had some trouble with it last summer coming home from Sturgis, as there was a little bit of rust buildup in the float bowl clogging the carburetor. I dropped the bowl, cleaned it out, then pulled off the carb and sprayed all the passages, and it ran just fine to power my rooftop air for the way home. All I have done for additional maintenance to the thing besides oil changes is to turn the fuel valve off and let it die naturally when running it the final time after each use, and I run ethanol-free fuel whenever possible.

This.

I have a Troy-built 5500W generator from 2004 that only runs at length when a hurricane knocks out power. I might fire it up once a year if I remember to otherwise.

For fuel I fill up a few gas cans with ethanol gas and add a storage dose of the marine sta-bil to it at the beginning of hurricane season. If nothing happens the gas gets dumped in the cars at the end of hurricane season. Repeat this process next year.

To store the generator after running, I’ll drain the tank back into a gas can, then run it until it runs out of gas in the line/carb. It it hasn’t ran for a year+ it gets an oil change.

It has started no problem every time doing this.

Manufacturers suggest emptying the bowls. I've always done what you're doing. It's legit.

I agree with all of you, BUT, I don’t do anything to my diesel generator except fill it back up after using it. Whether it’s three days or six months, it starts right up. I try to warm it up every so often, but I get busy.

Top Back Refresh