What's new

An oilfield truck

Bacho

Yellow Skull
Member Number
Loc
Greenville SC
The intent of this thread is to document and illustrate some of the issues that may be encountered with these trucks.

I had been looking for a truck for several years put started putting in more effort due to our family growing. I love my Sprinter van but its limited in towing and only has 2 real seats. I wanted a 3/4 or 1 ton crew cab long bed diesel. As everyone knows the market on these has gotten out of hand. I tried a gas burner a couple times but hated the way they pulled and frequent stops at the has station.

All Craigslist trucks were insanely priced with few options available. I looked in insurance auctions and nearly made a purchase when a co-worker pulled history on the truck with his premium co-part account, the damage was originally much worse than than the current auction even though it was still in a wrecked condition. I confirmed with a trusted body shop owner than the insurance auctions are full of flipped wrecks with lipstick applied. So that was out.

I monitored equipment auctions In the region. Prices were some high and some lower. You can waste half a day easy trying to be ready to bid only to have an insane price. Most of these trucks were very well used and abused and pulling $20-25k. Talking 10 year old trucks with 250k on the clock. Many of these were oil industry trucks.

Next I turned to FB and made a fake account. I eventually found a 2011 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB with 4x4 and the 6.7 with 290k asking $14k. It was obvious it had been a work truck but still had an intact interior and looked worthwhile. I loved the fact it is pre DEF. I called the owner who flat out said the truck needed some work. He pointed out a few things not in the ad. Said the brake light had come on and someone had stolen the front driveshaft in the previous days :confused: he assured me 4wd had worked fine the previous week. Rust was my prime concern, He said the truck had come out of TX. I asked it this was an oil field truck, he didnt seem to know what I was talking about. Anyways, it still sounded worthwhile so I drove a few hours down to Macon to have a look.

On arrival it was obvious to me the truck had come out of the oil fields. That said it ran great. Not a hint of blow by. Drove very well. Underneath didnt show a hint of leaking fluids. Had brand new tires. I was impressed with more big the 4th gen cab is. The interior was filthy and smelled like a cheap motel room (I have determined this smell comes from rotten flesh and Fabuloso but that’s another thread) and the AC was inop. The front driveshaft was indeed missing, but it was obvious it had been that way a long time. Considering the options and what else $14k would buy (not much) we made a deal.

EE00F321-8A96-47AE-9A76-21C7EE18B7C3.jpeg

Last edited:
First order of business was a fresh oil change with air filter replacement. It did not take long to determine it needed a full wash underneath. Absolutely everything is covered in a sand/clay mixture. 2 hours of pressure washing it on ramps its hard to tell anything was accomplished.

At this time I also decided to dig into the AC situation. I dropped the inner fender to find the wiring going to the AC compressor missing. Further investigation revealed rodent damage. The AC wiring was gone, wiring to the turbo gone, wiring to the alternator was damaged and had a replacement plug installed crappily. :laughing: Surprisingly there wasn’t a CEL displayed, I tried to pull codes at this point and only got an exhaust pressure sensor code.

5A592520-3F36-4809-8B6B-B13B4D04847C.jpeg

The body builder diagrams were useful in this repair.

P/N for the replacement AC compressor connector was 05017117AA. It was $50 at my dealer.

Wiring for the turbo sensors needed careful attention paid to wire colors. The differences were not easy to see. I originally assumed the twisted pairs here had the same color combinations. Turns out I got lucky with both pairs. I also re-made the previously repaired alternator connectors with heat shrunk connectors.

Feeling quite accomplished with getting the wiring back together I fully assembled it all and started the truck. Turned on the AC and...... nothing. Compressor was not turning. It was at this time I decided to check the charge on the system. It was showing 25psi. I found the low pressure switch activates 26-28psi. I spent a couple hours looking for my R134 30lb jug with no luck, went to buy another and found these now cost more than $400. :mad3: Small cans would have to do. I put 50psi in the system and gave it a try, nothing.

Decided all the wiring I did needed to come apart and get a double check. All was looking good. At this point I verified I had a 12v signal on the harness commanding the AC to come on. With the ground not connected I verified there was 12v as well. I doubled checked my ground and verified it good. I had read the truck controls would turn off the signal if the draw was more than 3 amps. My multimeter did not display any current so my new connector came apart to hot wire the compressor. In a split second melted wire, glove and finger identified a dead short in the compressor clutch. :laughing:

Performance radiator sold me a compressor, orifice and filter for about $320. Best price I found outside of amazon. Calling performance and getting a price over the phone is always much cheaper than just showing up at the counter. These all installed without too much hassle and AC is now working.

ABS is next up.... :flipoff2:

I’ve heard of people putting an oscillating sprinkler under the truck for a number of hours to help loosen clay/mud. No idea if it’ll work, but may be worth trying?

cool truck, will be following along
I’ve heard of people putting an oscillating sprinkler under the truck for a number of hours to help loosen clay/mud. No idea if it’ll work, but may be worth trying?
what the fuck this is the smartest thing i've ever heard of. both my trucks have caked on mud on the bottom

We did something similar in mining, had a low profile rig on casters with nozzles pointing up, worked pretty well, but you had to move it around, a sprinkler would probably work well at home:smokin:

Also when washing the huge trucks with fire cannons, I'd make a few quick passes to loosen it up, then start from one end slowly.

Yes, it does work. I had to do it to my personal truck after working in the ND oilfields. The road to mancamp was horrible with spring melt. Takes a bit and it doesn't get all of it but it will soften it up so you can spray the remaining stuff off with a hose.

By the way, the smell, don't take a black light to the interior. I have spent lots of time in oil field trucks by myself, it gets lonely in the middle of WY in winter.:flipoff2:

cool truck, will be following along

what the fuck this is the smartest thing i've ever heard of. both my trucks have caked on mud on the bottom

The smartest thing is to gang like three or four of them together with short lengths of hose so you don't have to move it around (think like washer hot/cold lines). Most cheapo oscillating sprinklers have a cap on the far side to accept another hose.

I can't imagine that was actually an oil field truck, with that type of mileage, it would be in pieces.

Maybe 150k oil miles and 140k old man freeway?

I can't imagine that was actually an oil field truck, with that type of mileage, it would be in pieces.

Maybe 150k oil miles and 140k old man freeway?
That's an awfully polite way of saying it was driven by some douche with a clipboard who went from site to site making people's lives worse.

Even still, they idle all fucking day long and are floored the other part of the time.

290k may as well be 2.9m :laughing:
exactly how our trucks in the air force get treated too :laughing: pulling a 26ft enclosed trailer full of aircraft parts and tools? FLOOR IT

exactly how our trucks in the air force get treated too :laughing: pulling a 26ft enclosed trailer full of aircraft parts and tools? FLOOR IT

It's pretty much any fleet truck. Then leave it running for 14 hours just incase I want to move it 10 feet, I don't want to be cold or hot.

Do dodges have an hour meter? My Ford does

.gov adds their own hour meter and I remove them every time. 90k miles is about 9000 hours on average. Carfax: clean 1 owner! I wouldn't buy an orelfeld truck with someone else's money.

'Fleet' trucks are generally terrible. Maybe 1 out of 50 is decent.

.gov adds their own hour meter and I remove them every time. 90k miles is about 9000 hours on average. Carfax: clean 1 owner! I wouldn't buy an orelfeld truck with someone else's money.

'Fleet' trucks are generally terrible. Maybe 1 out of 50 is decent.

9k hours! :eek:

10mph average isn't very good :laughing:

He already bought it, I probably shouldn’t chime in now 🤣.

The sprinkler trick works. I’ve parked on tires with trailer ramps so that the tractor sprinkler can drive itself from one end to the other all by itself. It’s pre def and not a cancer patient so you can fix anything wrong with it.

Edit. My BIL bought an 07 with a 6 speed manual cheap for the mileage. Ran but had bad blow by and what sounded like labor knock. Turned out It had two torched cylinders, broken rings seriously scarred cylinders that couldn’t be repaired by boring alone. He rebuilt it himself and had two liners put in the two bad holes to get back in spec. It also had the front driveshaft completely missing. He just ordered a whole new shaft from the dodge dealership and the 4wd works just fine.

Last edited:
Definitely looks like a used oilfield truck from the pic I can see. Does it look like it had something metal bolted to the bed floor? I ask because it looks like a former KLX truck that was used for delivering well head parts to the rigs.

Top Back Refresh