What's new

Amish shed move

They will use gas or diesel generators and some will drive tractors but they convert them to steel wheels first.

When they clear-cut the wooded area that's now the main parking lot and comp space at Rausch Creek, it was an Amish crew that did it...with some pretty badass forestry equipment. I was there a few weekends when they were doing it and they cleared a huge amount of space each day with feller bunchers, strippers, and loading stuff. They were allowed to do that but they had to have an outsider drive them from their home to the worksite every day. Something about they could run the equipment but not the vehicle to get there.

Weird concessions and exceptions, but imo not all that different than what a bunch of churches have done with remote services these last few months. It's all semantics and interpretation at the end of the day.

I dont understand the religion around here either. They drive a horse and buggy to the marina then hop on a 140k Super Air Natique and go surf.
One of my neighbors is amish and has a buggy and a lifted bro-dozer with giant stacks.

Rumspringa-

Ah, yea. That's what it is.

Neat culture minus the inbreeding. Wanted to make a trip down on the bike this year, but I'm probably going to have to pass with all the fuckery going on.

Children are also given the option to join society outside of the Amish. From what I understand, a large percentage return.
wouldn't you return if given the option of leaving everything you've ever known behind, be completely cut off from your family and siblings, shunned publicly and then thrown out of your neighborhood with nothing?

I know people that have left. One had a sister that they would pass notes at the end of the driveway using a hollow tree knot.
until she got caught, and reprimanded severely for communicating with him.

so the whole "they can leave when they're 18" thing is kind of bullshit.
You're literally making a choice to leave every single person and thing you've ever known behind.

Dude managed to become a successful business man and now runs an outreach to the amish that are either kicked out or want to leave.
Sets them up with an apartment for a time, gets them a job, makes sure they don't just end up homeless somewhere.

Not counting all the bodies inside on the spreaders perhaps....,

When they clear-cut the wooded area that's now the main parking lot and comp space at Rausch Creek, it was an Amish crew that did it...with some pretty badass forestry equipment. I was there a few weekends when they were doing it and they cleared a huge amount of space each day with feller bunchers, strippers, and loading stuff. They were allowed to do that but they had to have an outsider drive them from their home to the worksite every day. Something about they could run the equipment but not the vehicle to get there.

Weird concessions and exceptions, but imo not all that different than what a bunch of churches have done with remote services these last few months. It's all semantics and interpretation at the end of the day.

Most of them don't like rubber tires. So track equipment is okay, along with steel tire equipment.

It's weird, but not any more weird than any other religion or superstition.

wouldn't you return if given the option of leaving everything you've ever known behind, be completely cut off from your family and siblings, shunned publicly and then thrown out of your neighborhood with nothing?

I know people that have left. One had a sister that they would pass notes at the end of the driveway using a hollow tree knot.
until she got caught, and reprimanded severely for communicating with him.

so the whole "they can leave when they're 18" thing is kind of bullshit.
You're literally making a choice to leave every single person and thing you've ever known behind.

Dude managed to become a successful business man and now runs an outreach to the amish that are either kicked out or want to leave.
Sets them up with an apartment for a time, gets them a job, makes sure they don't just end up homeless somewhere.

Huh. I didn't know it was that cut an dry. I was under the impression they would still be able to see their families and whatnot. I thought they left and got so adjusted to the basic living, that all the bullshit we deal on the "outside" was overwhelming for someone just being thrown into it.

That'd be a tough choice. I can see why they'd return.

well that's how it is here.

again, practice seems to vary widely depending on sect.

but yeah, if you leave or are kicked out of the church here, you don't get to go see your family. For all intents and purposes you're dead.

They have some cool stuff. They can run anything with steel tires or tracks. I've asked a few why they couldn't use rubber tires and never got an answer.

Does he do construction? Was he on TV a few years back?

2 pages in and nobody has mentioned them fucking their own kids / sisters & “policing” themselves like Catholic priests?! You guys have gone soft.

Does he do construction? Was he on TV a few years back?

yes. When i met him he was running his own lumber yard/mill deal. I don't know the specifics, I was just there to fix NT 4.0 servers man.

now he runs a little "amish" pantry deal called Beyond Measure Market on a road that sees a lot of cedar point traffic in the summer, it's next to the church. Profits fund his ministry deal.
They have excellent baked goods. Get my weekend cinamon rolls there. and fry pies, fucking fry pies.
I see him there occassionally, we chat for a few minutes.

I have another customer that is former amish. A lot of them do upholstery. He does fucking amazing upholstery. like SEMA shit and celebrity cars, out of his pole barn out back.
the elders told him that he couldn't drive the cars to move them in and out of the barn, he said well that's how I support my family, and left.

It's amazing to see how quickly they pick up technology. in 6 months he went from how do I work this thing to I need internet in my shop. Super nice guy. Even has started to lose his accent. his wife however, barely understandable if she's talking fast.

I hold no ill will towards the amish as a whole, but the reality of what they are is quite different from how they've portrayed themselves for profit.

they're not all honest hard working quaint people. Some of them will fuck you. just like any other human.

Top Back Refresh