What's new

Amc overdrive

wagfabulous

Member Number
Loc
Middle,TN
Im wondering if any of you old school jeep guys have any experience upgrading to an OD trans . My jeep (84 grand wag) currently has amc 360 727 dana 300 +4:1 . Im more than happy with how it preforms off road for what it is ( land yacht) . Im running 4.56s with 38s right now (over geared according to factory spec and calculator) . I plan on solving that issue when its time to buy new tires (39.5 fixes said equation). Obviously the amc 360 is a hindrance when trying to upgrade trans vs sbc or LS. I was wondering if it was worth the coin to adapt a 700r4 in there . Ive read some mixed emotions on this is reason I'm asking. Long story short I drive this pig to and fro destinations to wheel . If wanted to trailer something, I'd build something that didn't weigh 26,000 pounds to start with. More or less a poverty jk for me . Also gearvendors od is outta the question, its worth more than my jeep lol.

Last edited:
Im wondering if any of you old school jeep guys have any experience upgrading to an OD trans . My jeep (84 grand wag) currently has amc 360 727 dana 300 +4:1 . Im more than happy with how it preforms off road for what it is ( land yacht) . Im running 4.56s with 38s right now (over geared according to factory spec and calculator) . I plan on solving that issue when its time to buy new tires (39.5 fixes said equation). Obviously the amc 360 is a hindrance when trying to upgrade trans vs sbc or LS. I was wondering if it was worth the coin to adapt a 700r4 in there . Ive read some mixed emotions on this is reason I'm asking. Long story short I drive this pig to and fro destinations to wheel . If wanted to trailer something, I'd build something that didn't weigh 26,000 pounds to start with. More or less a poverty jk for me . Also gearvendors od is outta the question, its worth more than my jeep lol.
The A518/46RH was a 727 with an overdrive. Could you get a conversion bellhousing and stick a 46RH in there? Would keep everything else the same.
I know a guy in our area (kinda sketchy but the bona fide deal when it comes to Chrysler transmissions) that says he knows how to use a 727 front case mated to the tailhousing/OD housing and the guts from the 518 to mate the OD trans to applications besides Mopar small blocks. I think it requires some machine work. I also am told that the 1st gear planetary set from the 999 can be made to work in the 727, so my question to a trans builder who knows their stuff would be this:
Can you take an AMC front housing and A518 and give you OD?
Can you also add the lower 999 gearset?
If both were true, even if the cost was double a stock OH you'd probably be money ahead considering you wouldn't have to change much of anything to make this fit in your Waggy. Even though Mopar OD's of the era have a dubious rep, everyone who could pull the previous mods off would know how to fix the marginal stuff about the early OD transmissions.

Or, Allison.
Or NV5600:flipoff2:

700r4 is more inline with TH350, 4L60, TF999. But if built right, it may hold up.

The 4L80E is more inline with TH400 and TF727.

There are adapters from AMC v8 to 4L80E and from that to Dana 300. Unless you convert to manual valve body, you would also need a trans controller, too.

700r4 is more inline with TH350, 4L60, TF999. But if built right, it may hold up.

The 4L80E is more inline with TH400 and TF727.

There are adapters from AMC v8 to 4L80E and from that to Dana 300. Unless you convert to manual valve body, you would also need a trans controller, too.
Yea i was kinda wanting to stay away from electric controllers unless i went full ls.

A

518/46RH is hydraulic with the exception of overdrive actuation from what I understand.
That swap sounds a little deep to me . I try to stick with the kiss method when building stuff . (Keep It Simple Stupid). Im sure it would work but getting it rebuilt or replacing it later on would be a possible nightmare at a trans shop.

Why you're wanting to have overdrive?

Looking like about 3000 rpm at 70 mph with your current set up. Or about 2000rpm with 46rh's overdrive (0.69).

I kinda doubt the amc 360 have enough power to hold overdrive with TC locked at highway speed pushing a lifted brick and 4 big donuts through air, let alone headwind or uphills. At least not fuel efficient to make the swap worthwhile.

I'd look into get Torque Converter Clutch installed if it don't have one right now.... to lock the TC for improved fuel efficient and run cooler.

Why you're wanting to have overdrive?

Looking like about 3000 rpm at 70 mph with your current set up. Or about 2000rpm with 46rh's overdrive (0.69).

I kinda doubt the amc 360 have enough power to hold overdrive with TC locked at highway speed pushing a lifted brick and 4 big donuts through air, let alone headwind or uphills. At least not fuel efficient to make the swap worthwhile.

I'd look into get Torque Converter Clutch installed if it don't have one right now.... to lock the TC for improved fuel efficient and run cooler.
It looks like I'll just drink the LS kool aid like everybody else when the time comes for a motor. Everything else is expensive and complicated.

Some rich mfer gonna crash one leaving the country club some night, right?:laughing:
More than likely lol. I wish at least one American car company would make a truck a common man could afford manual windows, manual trans , manual transfer . All i need is cruise control, air and a radio. Short enough to work out of too . If you can't reach over and palm the bed it aint worth a crap. Im 6ft on a good day and cant even think about palming the bed on a 2wd much less a 4wd.

Top Back Refresh