What's new

AMC 20 Pinion Help

Curbkrawler

Shitbox Connoisseur
Member Number
Loc
SC
F121A3AC-5214-4091-A30A-08F2AB9BDAE2.jpeg

It has been a long time since I set gears up in an AMC 20. When installing pinion, I could not pull bearing on far enough to make contact with the crush sleeve. New gear on left’s splines are not as long as old on right and yoke is physically bottoming out on splines before bearing makes contact with crush sleeve… Am I just stupid and doing something wrong? Do they make a yoke with a longer snout? Am I supposed to install some sort of spacer between yoke and bearing? Any help or snide remarks appreciated!

It's been years since I did an AMC 20, but the last one I did IIRC was kinda similar to yours I had to shim the shit out of the bearing to get the depth right on the pinion. I am assuming you dont have test bearings for setting all this up and that we are looking at your finish bearing....

It's been years since I did an AMC 20, but the last one I did IIRC was kinda similar to yours I had to shim the shit out of the bearing to get the depth right on the pinion. I am assuming you dont have test bearings for setting all this up and that we are looking at your finish bearing....
The bearing shown is new and pressed on because the pinion shims go behind the race. I do have set up bearings for the other locations. I thought about trying to shim between the bearing and the pinion but the shims are too large in diameter. They would be up against the heel of the pinion gear.

I have no experience with this but if you or a buddy is a machinist get the id and od and bore a hole in a thick plate and knock it out and a drill bit and make your own shims with shim stock . These new aftermarket gears are garbage compared to the old ones as im told. But it is a fix.

Top Back Refresh