What's new

Alaska Bear Gun???

Wilburburns

Moving On Up
Member Number
Loc
Central Ky
To keep is short, my niece is now living in Alaska teaching in a remote village and is looking for some additional bear protection.

I took her to the range to test some .44 Magnum revolvers yesterday and it did not go as well as she would have liked. From what I see, .44 is the smallest caliber recommended for bear protection.

Given that, how is .45 ACP? She may end up more suited for a Semi-auto over a revolver, but I want to make sure .45 is enough.

Any thoughts, recommendations?

Cliff

A revolver is super simple in a high stress situation.

From the internet

Depending on how it's loaded, the .44 Magnum delivers between 900 and 1,500 foot pounds of energy; by contrast, the .45 ACP's power ranges between 400 and 600 foot pounds

At the local sandpit about ten years ago a guy there had an S&W500. Had some massive freaking scope on it. The size of the entire gun. He had me fire it once. I shot a beer can from a bit over 100yds out no problem. Said he used it for bear hunting.

At the local sandpit about ten years ago a guy there had an S&W500. Had some massive freaking scope on it. The size of the entire gun. He had me fire it once. I shot a beer can from a bit over 100yds out no problem. Said he used it for bear hunting.

Bear hunting is not the same as bear protection. .45ACP is better than throwing rocks but I would prefer .44RemMag over the .45ACP.

By simplicity I mean operation and lack of malfunctions. If a revolver doesn’t fire you pull the trigger again. On a semiautomatic you need to tap rack bang.

Bam.
Resized_20201119_125715.jpeg

460 Rowland for a 1911 or Glock. 950+ ft-lbf vs that wimpy 750ish for 10mm

Just don't run a checked backstrap, trust me

What about a mare’s leg in.44 mag? Maybe she just needs a little more mass in the gun.

My ex love shooting my 454 casull but definitely not easy to carry all rhe time.

Since she doesn't like. 44, AR Pistol or AK an option? That way it'll be loaded and just safety off before firing.

I wrote a whole in depth response, somehow hitting backspace made the browser go back a page and I lost it all. :mad3:

Distilled version, I've got a brother that's been in AK for 20+ years, another that worked summer jobs there in college, my parents own rental property there, and I've visited several times. Whole family is outdoorsy, brother that lives there is an avid fisherman, hunter, hiker.

Younger brother was leading cruise ship tourists on kayaks, hiking, and Jeep tours. He carried a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull for bear.

Older brother who lives there, has a pistol grip, 12 Ga, 870 slung over his shoulder when out and about during bear season. I believe he called it the "home defense" model, pistol grip, no buttstock, shorter barrel.

If she can't handle the .44 Mag, no point in trying the .454 Casull. Though it will shoot .45 LC too, which is much easier to manage.

I get the desire for a revolver, but you can fit a lot more rounds in a modern-ish double stack 9mm. After reading about the Alaskan guide dropping a charging grizzly with some Buffalo Bore +P 9mm a couple years back, I believe I'd rather have as many rounds as I could, rather than a fewer more powerful rounds. I'm a terrible shot with a pistol to begin with, add adrenaline and fear of a cranky bear to the mix, I need all the shots I can get.

I'm not trying to sound like a Buffalo Bore ad, but they make "bear loads," for a lot of smaller calibers.

(Item 24F) -- 9MM +P+ PENETRATOR
(Item 24L) -- 9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN
(Item 20H) -- 38 SPL +P OUTDOORSMAN
(Item 19A) -- HEAVY 357 MAG OUTDOORSMAN
(Item 23F) -- 40 S&W OUTDOORTSMAN Std Pressure Low Flash
(Item 21C) -- HEAVY 10MM OUTDOORSMAN

Edit to add, that while you're looking for firearms, don't discount bear spray. Thankfully I haven't had to use it, but know some folks that have successfully warded off bears that were too close for comfort with it. Try not to be down wind when you use it though.

Last edited:
.45 acp isn't really comparable to .44 magnum

No, it’s not. But, it’s better than a sharp stick.

Whatever she can shoot comfortably, and accurately, will be her best protection, even if it’s just a bottle of pepper spray.

Last edited:
Reactions: IGT
Thanks everyone...

I’m seeing that .45 acp doesn’t carry the preferred punch, which is what I was thinking as well, but also know a few extra rounds and better control would be more beneficial than something she can’t hit the side of a barn with.

I also agree with the simplicity of a revolver being best, especially when heavy clothing and gloves will likely be involved in the scenario.

Bear Spray is better than nothing, and also better than a firearm that can’t be wielded and used well.

Cliff

My bear country choices are my s&w500, 12ga, or .308 scout rifle.

Is this something she needs to carry indiscreetly?

Few years ago I went shopping for a 44 mag. The Ruger and Smith/Wesson shoot completely differently. Have her shoot different make/models, and stay with a 44 mag revolver. The revolver is a KISS solution, with a stupidly low failure rate. I bought the SW.

Glock 10mm is probably the answer you seek. It’s down on power compared to a .44 Mag, but seems to be enough of a step above normal pistol cartridges to be effective, and hits on target are better than rounds in the dirt or still in the gun.

Can dig up some articles/videos on it tomorrow probably.

Last edited:
I'd jump on the hardcast 10mm loaded nuclear bandwagon, but in reality just go with whatever she's able to put lead on target with. 15x 9x19 is a whole lot more chances to hit brainstem or heart than 5x whatever ultra-wristbreaker-flinchomatic-magnum

Whatever caliber you decide on, go for something either hard cast or FMJ, with preference to the cast as it's harder lead than press-formed FMJs.

I wrote a whole in depth response, somehow hitting backspace made the browser go back a page and I lost it all. :mad3:

Distilled version, I've got a brother that's been in AK for 20+ years, another that worked summer jobs there in college, my parents own rental property there, and I've visited several times. Whole family is outdoorsy, brother that lives there is an avid fisherman, hunter, hiker.

Younger brother was leading cruise ship tourists on kayaks, hiking, and Jeep tours. He carried a Ruger Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull for bear.

Older brother who lives there, has a pistol grip, 12 Ga, 870 slung over his shoulder when out and about during bear season. I believe he called it the "home defense" model, pistol grip, no buttstock, shorter barrel.

If she can't handle the .44 Mag, no point in trying the .454 Casull. Though it will shoot .45 LC too, which is much easier to manage.

I get the desire for a revolver, but you can fit a lot more rounds in a modern-ish double stack 9mm. After reading about the Alaskan guide dropping a charging grizzly with some Buffalo Bore +P 9mm a couple years back, I believe I'd rather have as many rounds as I could, rather than a fewer more powerful rounds. I'm a terrible shot with a pistol to begin with, add adrenaline and fear of a cranky bear to the mix, I need all the shots I can get.

I'm not trying to sound like a Buffalo Bore ad, but they make "bear loads," for a lot of smaller calibers.

(Item 24F) -- 9MM +P+ PENETRATOR
(Item 24L) -- 9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN
(Item 20H) -- 38 SPL +P OUTDOORSMAN
(Item 19A) -- HEAVY 357 MAG OUTDOORSMAN
(Item 23F) -- 40 S&W OUTDOORTSMAN Std Pressure Low Flash
(Item 21C) -- HEAVY 10MM OUTDOORSMAN

Edit to add, that while you're looking for firearms, don't discount bear spray. Thankfully I haven't had to use it, but know some folks that have successfully warded off bears that were too close for comfort with it. Try not to be down wind when you use it though.

That's a heck of a story and I'll note that they never mentioned having to fly in 3 news sets of underwear when it was all over. The 3953 mag capacity is 8 rounds.

OP can your niece safely shoot a double stack 9mm? I am wondering if a G17 or G19 loaded with Buffalo Bore +P would be a "good enough" solution?

She needs something she's comfortable with, and she needs to practice like her life depends on it. A 9mm she can put 5 shots on target in 5 seconds with is way better than a big ass revolver she can get 2 shots off with, and might slip out of wet/cold hands.

Pistol grip shotguns arent easy to be accurate with, or to operate efficiently, especially for smaller people.
A pump gun is dead nuts reliable though, whatever flavour you like, as long as its Remington, Winchester, or, I guess, if you must, mossberg.

We can't really use pistols here for wilderness carry, so my experience is with long guns. Lots of people like the idea of a 45/70 lever gun, but if you haven't got the muscle memory to work the lever WAY FAST...its not the right choice.

300 bo ar pistol.

Or 7.62x39 fits same mag from memory.

Last edited:
[486 said:
;n244152]I'd jump on the hardcast 10mm loaded nuclear bandwagon, but in reality just go with whatever she's able to put lead on target with. 15x 9x19 is a whole lot more chances to hit brainstem or heart than 5x whatever ultra-wristbreaker-flinchomatic-magnum

Whatever caliber you decide on, go for something either hard cast or FMJ, with preference to the cast as it's harder lead than press-formed FMJs.

Don't shoot cast lead out of a glock with the polygonal rifling, the barrel will lead up and cause overpressure.

Glock specifically tells you not to do this and in hot 10mm it's a bad idea.

Glock 20 would be worth it to try, otherwise a marine 12 ga. The nickle and stainless will stand up the the condensation and humidity in Alaska better than a blued gun.

Top Back Refresh