What's new

Alabama: US Mil chopper down

Auto-rotate would like a word with you...though it's certainly not as ideal as an airplane.

Indeed. I was in a bell that lost power in the winter in Idaho when I was like 8. Pretty scary, feels like a free fall, but autorotated and landed between the two lanes of a divided highway. Haven't been in one since.

Indeed. I was in a bell that lost power in the winter in Idaho when I was like 8. Pretty scary, feels like a free fall, but autorotated and landed between the two lanes of a divided highway. Haven't been in one since.
Mind the Robinsons...

Do tell. :smokin:

You coming to Texas to race or doing the Utah races?

i dont know a ton about it yet. a friends kid races quads and i went to one. saw they have sxs races. so i'm going to do at least a couple.

i believe its quadcross nw that puts it all on. the tracks are in WA , ID and OR. i'll be at the first race the end of april at horn rapids mx, and see where it goes from there. i might suck ass and hate it, but it looks like a damn good time.

this is the schedule i was sent. i still need to look into classes and the rules.
a0ebd38d-cdf9-4b6c-aa77-3216ede4739f.jpeg

A Robinson dropped from the sky a mile or so from my house not too long ago. It had a full tail boom separation and dropped very similar to that blackhawk.
Common for those dodos, as I understand it

Common for those dodos, as I understand it

There isn’t a helicopter in service that doesn’t have a tail boom AD on it. They all crack, it’s just a matter of when or where.

Robinsons are less safe for a variety of reasons, but they’re not the death traps everyone makes them out to be.

I’d be willing to bet they outnumber any other privately owned helicopter by a massive margin, low time private pilots who fly once a year don’t make safe pilots. Additionally, they’re the most training helicopter out there. So the stats will be skewed

The Comanche would disagree and tell me to hop in one and prove my point :laughing:

I don't know shit about helicopters, but why not?

I know WaterH posted a story about auto rotating after a tail rotor failure on a chopper he was flying.
Answered above...in a huey...as long as your going over 30 knots, you can lose a tail rotor and it can do a run on landing like a plane...we used to practice it on runways alot..as my bird was used for a ton of semi annual check ride for pilots.. trying to auto rotate at the same time is crazy hard if not impossible...again..huey tail rotors is not needed for lift...Blackhawk is

Huey were the chevy 350 of helicopters.... you can lose an engine and auto rotate..lose a tail and generally be ok.. lose hyd and still fly..poorly.....lose a Trans and your fucked

Last edited:
The tail lift aspect is interesting. Didn't know that.

I was in a CH47 unit and I don't know if I ever saw a fight go up without a Crew Chief on board. But that's a different animal entirely.

And a National Guard unit on a Tuesday may not have had anyone else on orders, aside from the pilots who were probably just trying to get their required hours.

Whenever we did a 150 hr phase maintenance. Or any heavy maintenance like engine swap etc..only crew on the check ride was test pilot. Crew chief (I got to ride right seat)..and the inspector whom signed off on most of the work

After my active duty, I went in the guard and they sent me to shithook school.:laughing:...and then my unit never got Chinooks:lmao:....

I remember..if a Chinook isn't leaking inside...get out..cause it's out of oil.:homer:

I remember..if a Chinook isn't leaking inside...get out..cause it's out of oil.:homer:
I‘ll never forget my first ride in a Chinook. The crew chief kept sticking his arm into holes in the “ceiling“, then wiping hydraulic fluid off his hand. He must have seen the :confused: on my face because he leaned in close and said, “Leaking is normal, dry is bad!”

Me: 😳

I‘ll never forget my first ride in a Chinook. The crew chief kept sticking his arm into holes in the “ceiling“, then wiping hydraulic fluid off his hand. He must have seen the :confused: on my face because he leaned in close and said, “Leaking is normal, dry is bad!”

Me: 😳

Yep:lmao::lmao:

Nah, one of the bearded dudes from "diesel bros" TV and Sparks Motors.

They get into a lot of sticky situations that I don't think they understand the gravity of.
Never heard of them, but I haven't watched TV in many years.

Top Back Refresh