What's new

Alabama: US Mil chopper down

D_JEEPER

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue
Member Number

Team Redstone issued a statement on the crash reading, “Redstone Arsenal leaders are aware of reports of a helicopter incident near Highway 53 in Huntsville. First responders are on scene, and Redstone Arsenal is in full support of local authorities in their active investigation. Initial investigations have determined that the incident is not connected to Redstone Arsenal assets, and we will continue to support community authorities as the situation develops.”

Damn. This is why I say fuck helicopters. It's not like a plane where of something goes wrong you still have some glide available. Something goes wrong in a helicopter and you're falling out of the sky like a rock. Fuck that shit.

RIP

Damn. This is why I say fuck helicopters. It's not like a plane where of something goes wrong you still have some glide available. Something goes wrong in a helicopter and you're falling out of the sky like a rock. Fuck that shit.

RIP

Auto-rotate would like a word with you...though it's certainly not as ideal as an airplane.

Auto-rotate would like a word with you...though it's certainly not as ideal as an airplane.
Autogyro was the superior solution, but that dream died with cierva.
Ironically in a fixed wing airplane crash.

I thought autorotation was a crapshoot until I read the stats. 95.5% quoted back in 2005 in the article I pulled up.

Godspeed to the aviators.

Yeah, I ain't fucking with something without some actual aerodynamic principles behind it.

Damn. Not sure I want to watch it. Sad day. Thoughts and prayers for the families of all involved. R.I.P. :usa:

Thank you to the Parents, Spouses and Children of our Brave men and women. Your sacrifices are not unnoticed and we are grateful for them.
Don't do it then. Even though it's through a Ring doorbell camera from three miles away, it is fucking awful.

That was my thought when I read in the news statement above that it was not a military asset.

It was not a Redstone asset. Did it mention not military at all?

edit:

Pentagon officials told CBS News that the helicopter was involved in a training mission with the Tennessee National Guard.

ALEA identified the helicopter as a UH-60, which is a Black Hawk.

It was not a Redstone asset. Did it mention not military at all?

edit:
Pentagon officials told CBS News that the helicopter was involved in a training mission with the Tennessee National Guard.

Auto-rotate only works if you are in controlled flight and have an engine failure (or similar). You lose a tail blade, main blade spits out, cracks, shears or any other catastrophic failure that cause a rapid change from controlled to un-controlled flight and gravitational physics takes over.

One of the pilots in my Army Aviation unit told me "Helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission."
We called it a random assembly of spare parts loosely assembled around an oil-leak.

RIP aircrew.

Oooof, that thing lawn darted harder than any other Hawk crash I've seen. All I can think of is full loss of a control system at altitude to end up falling that fast.

Crew of two is interesting. There's usually a Crew Chief on board too.

Sometimes autorotation is much more ideal than a plane.

Auto-rotate only works if you are in controlled flight and have an engine failure (or similar). You lose a tail blade, main blade spits out, cracks, shears or any other catastrophic failure that cause a rapid change from controlled to un-controlled flight and gravitational physics takes over.

The same can be said for airplanes. Gliding only works if your in controled flight and have an engine failure. (Or similar)

Is it too soon to ask if the pilot got the vax?

Yeah that wasn’t an auto, autos can be so slow that you don’t even know it’s happening. That was just a crash.

Tail rotor or tail boom failure with how it was spinning. I’d bet one of the two completely or partially came off in flight and caused a cg change. Loss of TR pitch control :should: be less dramatic than that, allowing a run on landing if you can keep your airspeed up.

Fuck that was right by my old house in Huntsville AL. About 1/4 mile by the way of the crow if not less.

Top Back Refresh