AirTag Thread

CarterKraft

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
DFW
Tips, tricks how to's.

I hear disable speaker is #1 priority.
A buddy put some in his equipment but said he thought his kid was able to disable the tag from the kids phone.

Any truth to that?

Airtags are not a GPS device.

They attach themselves to whatever bluetooth network is around and use that device to establish a location.

SO if you put an airtag on your dog's collar and he runs off into the woods, unless Bigfoot has bluetooth, you're fucked.
But if your dog ran into an apartment complex, you would find him in quick order.

To be clear, the Aitag doesn't ask to join any network, it just attaches itself to it.

I never get random notifications on artags, so I don't know what people are referring to regarding that.

They attach themselves to whatever bluetooth network is around and use that device to establish a location.

SO if you put an airtag on your dog's collar and he runs off into the woods, unless Bigfoot has bluetooth, you're fucked.
But if your dog ran into an apartment complex, you would find him in quick order.

To be clear, the Aitag doesn't ask to join any network, it just attaches itself to it.

I never get random notifications on artags, so I don't know what people are referring to regarding that.
Is that how the tool brand trackers work also?

Seems like you can disable notification for a tag but the only way to disable the tag is to remove battery.

To disable the AirTag, AirPods, or Find My network accessory and stop it from sharing its location, tap Instructions to Disable and follow the onscreen steps. After the AirTag, AirPods, or Find My network accessory is disabled, the owner can no longer get updates on its current location. You will also no longer receive any unwanted tracking alerts for this item.

We have a few kicking around but since I have Android, they're all attached to my wife's phone. Didn't take long for my Android phone to warn me someone might be tracking me...and I can make it beep or something to find it.

They don't just attach to a random bluetooth network. They are only reported by IOS devices. While an android may see them as a random bluetooth device, you aren't going to get a location report from one unless there's an IOS device that picks it up and reports it.

Interested in this too. Want to put some kind of tracker on my more expensive equipment but not crazy about the idea of a monthly fee for each tracker. Looked at the Milwaukee tick but it only works if there is a device with 1key downloaded in range.

Also might put one in the bosses truck to see when he’s going to do a surprise visit.

Rig cost $10k
Tracker fee $15 a month
$15 x 12 = $180

$10k / 180 = 55.55 years of use to break even for $10k rig

Seems to be worth the $ to recover asap

Edit: Oops forgot the link that members recommended to add here

I’ve thought about adding AirTags, but it would be in addition to the subscription based cell/gps tracker. Slightly less hidden and “sacrificial”.

I have airtags in every piece of luggage that travels, but as a friend warned me, they are really only good to let you know they have been left behind. If your plane departs, and the bag pings as still in the terminal, what exactly can you do?

But sure is nice to at least let you know what bags actually made it on the plane. When traveling I adjust the notifications constantly, I don't need to know that my luggage is still in the hotel when I am wandering around, but I do need to know if I have left my wallet behind.

I don't turn my sound off because there are times I am actually trying to find 1 of 8 tags and it does not help when all are listed within 50 feet of me.

Interesting note - when departing Johannesburg for Newark a few months ago, there was a Brit in a total panic because his airtag still showed his luggage in Maputo, and not making the connection, yet when I saw him in baggage claim he had all his bags. His airtag did not ping him, even though it was onboard within a couple hundred feet of him. So I guess they might not be 100% trustworthy.

Handy as a tracking device, but definitely not a full on anti-theft tracker.

Tether's to whatever device it's close to. can turn sound off. Have to remove battery to turn off. Picked up and traveled with a friend's boat, he knew where I was towing the whole time. I stick them in my drunk friend's bags when we are traveling together away from home and I know we have to be someplace in the morning.

Rig cost $10k
Tracker fee $15 a month
$15 x 12 = $180

$10k / 180 = 55.55 years of use to break even for $10k rig

Seems to be worth the $ to recover asap

Edit: Oops forgot the link that members recommended to add here
I think in the case of equipment tracking the draw is they can be hidden and nearly impossible to find.
Doing that with a GPS tracker is much harder due to the size of the device and need to access the sky.

Admittedly not just a rig but

When I had new truckies on the race team. Each would get shown that there was a GPS tracker on the 18 wheeler. They were not shown the other two trackers that were well hidden. A lot easier to do on a big rig than a SXS or such

I cannot recall the brand but I have seen a couple rigs with a cellular tracker. They are dormant until called by the owner and can be programmed with responses like location, speed etc. can also be programmed to ping the owner on a timed schedule with location info

My satellite phone does the same (pinging location to an email) but does have to be powered on, so not practical as a tracker without a constant power source

I watched a show once
they crushed a car with an air tag in it and it went to China

that is all I know about air tags

Top Back Refresh