What's new

Air Lines

SomeGuyFromOlympia

Member Number
It is beginning to be that time again.
Between being used every day, sparks, and getting walked on daily, I have gotten to that point where I can't just shorten the leaky end up much longer because they are getting short

I had one airline that I have no clue what brand it was, it looked like a nylon reinforced tubing that you get from the hardware store with a tint of color to it
If you pulled on it and stretched, you would hear the cords break inside, after that no matter what it, would lay flat, pressure or not, always layed flat on the floor without coils
I have purchased other so-called lay flat airlines, and they lie. They will lay flat if you uncoil them

What/where/who has the best brands in your experience??

Flexeel hoses by coil hose pneumatics.

There is no substitute.

But I wouldn't use one around welding and such. They get burn holes easily

1695440458854.png

this one sure looks like it

Flexeel hoses by coil hose pneumatics.

There is no substitute.

But I wouldn't use one around welding and such. They get burn holes easily
any air hose will burn, you just have to pay attention to what you are doing with it, just like the welder, got to pay attention. Unfortunately this stuff is a consumable in a shop environment

I've been using the standard black rubber Harbor Freight air hoses for two decades now. I've got a couple hundred feet of them to be able to run air tools pretty much anywhere from when I just had a stationary compress and not the portable one. Can't complain. No issues with them not laying flat, although I don't coil them tightly - just loose hanging loops. Other "Merlin" stuff I've bought has been a step up, so I'd expect the Merlin rubber hoses are decent although mine are just the old CP stuff.

At the shop there are people that coil things up like they owe them money or something - constant problems with things being all kinked and things breaking.

What are you actually talking about? It doesn't compute. You mean doesn't coil up on the floor, or actually lays flat, as in the shape not round.
I could not understand that either

At first I thought he meant flat like the shape of the hose so he does not trip over it (weird, right) but now I think he means doesn't loop up but I have never really seen that to be an issue.

What cha' talking about OP?

1695483045856.png

PVC hoses will actually not lay flat, the coils in memory will stay off the floor, I can't imagine anyone wanting to use a PVC hose in a automotive setting.
We have a pvc hose on a hose hanger and a rubber hose on a reel. The pvc is un regulated pressure and almost never used because the hose is such a pain in the ass. The rubber hose doesn't stay or try to coil when in use not on the reel.

Op needs a rubber air hose and 2 week ban.

Rubber hose and coil it, under pressure, over and under so you aren’t twisting it up every time you use it.

Couple of the field mechanics that come through the shop are running the snapon air hoses. They warranty them all the time.

Dunno what that warranty cost though:laughing:

Couple of the field mechanics that come through the shop are running the snapon air hoses. They warranty them all the time.

Dunno what that warranty cost though:laughing:
On the list of things that I didn't need to hear :laughing:.

Right! I was giving the guy shit about buying airlines off the tool truck and had to eat my words. Said if he pokes a hole in a line or the ends wear out or whatever, he just swaps it out:laughing:

Probly depends on the tool guy

I could not understand that either

At first I thought he meant flat like the shape of the hose so he does not trip over it (weird, right) but now I think he means doesn't loop up but I have never really seen that to be an issue.

What cha' talking about OP?
1695510255133.png

See this advertisement for Lay Flat Hose?
that is not flat

The best way to get a hose that doesn't have a coil memory to always lay flat was given in post #16.

If you stow the hose by doing over/under coils, you will always be able to grab the end and walk away with no kinks, loops, assholes or other silliness. Doing it in a figure 8 will give you the same results too.

Thats cuz its a new hose, or some dumbass wound it up tight around his elbow:laughing: they gotta break in
most are that way yes, but I am after one specific hose that doesn't do that at all
I think I got my answer a few posts above :beer:

I watch some of the guys at the shop and it is like "WTF are you even doing to that hose?" I never thought coiling a hose or extension cord was rocket surgery before watching these guys...
So are you the dumb old man who's super anal about coiling shit and getting his panties in a wad over the guy who's wrapping it around is arm in half the time or are you the yokel just tossing it in a pile and thinking that everyone else is wasting time? :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh